Sports Briefs

Men’s Tennis
University of Miami athletic director Paul Dee has named Bryan Getz the interim head men’s tennis coach. Getz replaces former head coach Jay Berger who resigned to accept a United States Tennis Association National Coaching position.
Getz has been the assistant coach under Berger for the last two seasons helping guide the Hurricanes to consecutive NCAA Tournament appearances including a Sweet 16 appearance in 2001. That season Miami also claimed its seventh BIG EAST Championship.
Last season Miami finished 12-10, advanced to the NCAA tournament for the sixth consecutive season, and ended the season with No. 36 national ranking. Todd Widom, ranked 13th in the 2002-03 preseason rankings, garnered All-America honors as a freshman last season reaching the round of 16 at the NCAA Men’s Singles Championships.
“I want to thank the University of Miami, particularly Athletic Director Paul Dee for the tremendous opportunity that has been bestowed on me,” said Getz. “I plan to maintain the high level of excellence established under coach (Jay) Berger and look forward to guiding our current group of student-athletes to the NCAA tournament for the seventh consecutive season.”
Getz recently coached All-American Todd Widom to the semifinals of the 2002 National Indoors in Dallas, Texas.
“I am very pleased that the University named Bryan (Getz) the head coach,” said Berger. “I have the utmost confidence in his abilities and I know he will continue with the great tradition our program has.”

Men’s Basketball
Head men’s basketball coach Perry Clark announces the signing of 6-6 forward Karron Clarke (Brooklyn, NY), 6-9 forward/center Leonard Harden III (Detroit, MI) and 6-11 center Yankuba Camara (Gambia, West Africa) to national letters of intent to attend the University of Miami next fall.
“I am extremely excited about this recruiting class,” said Clark. “We were able to add what we felt we needed. We became bigger and stronger on the front line and added a top-30 recruit.”
Clarke, ranked 29th in the nation by ESPN, averaged 19 points, 14 rebounds, three blocks and two steals as a junior in leading Lincoln High School in Brooklyn to a 23-5 record and the New York City Public School Championship.
Clark (6-6, 180), a first-team All-City honors last season, is playing his senior season at The Winchendon School in Winchendon, MA.
Harden (6-9, 240), who is playing his junior college basketball at Garden City (KS) Community College, can play forward as well as center is the sixth-ranked junior college center according to Lindy’s.
Camara (6-11, 250), who is playing at Moberly (MO) Area Community College, is a developing talent known for his rebounding and shot blocking ability.

Lonnie Walker excelled on the court during the NBA Combine in Chicago last week. The potential lotte ...

Athlon Sports released its projections for the 2018 college football season Monday. The predictions ...

Here is some impressive news for the University of Miami football program: All but one of the remain ...

Lonnie Walker IV stood out on and off the court at the NBA Draft Combine, which ended on Sunday in C ...

University of Miami incoming prep star Will Mallory, the other half of the soon-to-be No. 1 freshman ...

From boathouse to marine research powerhouse, the Rosenstiel School of Marine and Atmospheric Scienc ...

Over his more than two decades at the U, the dean of students from 1976-1989 always put students fir ...

The final Sea Secrets lecture at the Rosenstiel School examines the biofluorescence of marine organi ...

Sinead Lohan and Estela Perez-Somarriba of the Miami women's tennis team earned ITA Southeast R ...

Sophomore righthander Evan McKendry and freshman Freddy Zamora were among those recognized by the At ...

Senior Jeb Bargfeldt was recognized as ACC Pitcher of the Week following a dominating performance ag ...

No. 7 seed Miami opens its run at the 2018 ACC Baseball Championship Tuesday, May 22 against No. 11 ...

Although 17th-year head coach Paige Yaroshuk-Tews has made Sweet 16 appearances commonplace the jour ...