Media malpractice jeopardizes national security

I love how they show us this Bin Laden commentary that is 95 percent certifiable and then proceed to inform us that this tape is allegedly some kind of signal to Al-Qaeda forces in the US to set their plans in action. That’s just great. And in case some of the cells missed the “message” the first time, lets play it again and again to ensure that every single terrorist cell in the US gets the message. And in case some of the terrorists forgot that this was their cue, lets make sure to tell them so that they can begin their spectacular attacks. My GOD! What are we doing here?
Yet another of example of our media malpractice: Weeks before the anthrax assault, I remember reading an in-depth newspaper article detailing such biological weapons which would be virtually undetectable and ultimately incurable if used against us. I ask you, what good does it really do me to know that there are no cures for certain deadly diseases? Well, here we are, broadcasting our very weaknesses, and for what – to exercise our freedom of speech? To keep the American public informed of things that we can neither remedy nor understand? What good does it do, other than to breed mass paranoia and a new race of gas mask babies? Incidentally, reports suggest that, in the case of a massive biological attack, the mask isn’t going to do you any good, so save yourself the 20 bucks.
Is it possible that our media says too much? American media is so starved to gloss the front page with their investigative expertise that they’re crossing a very dangerous line of national security. Whether or not our government deems information unfit for the media, I feel we’re definitely saying more than is necessary. Where is the discretion? Where are the morals? Where are our heads? Doesn’t anyone think it could be the least bit detrimental to spend so much time dramatizing our weaknesses when we should be beefing up our strengths? Small Pox, Anthrax, Ebola – bring it on, because we’ve stated quite clearly that we’re unprepared. We may as well give them a road map to our underground silos because while we’re broadcasting relentlessly to each other in the hope of disseminating crucial information, we’re sending that same information to the shadows that are listening as well.
It’s often hard to draw the line between the public’s right to know and the ultimate consequence of such knowledge. Certainly, the terrorists are smart enough to figure out our weaknesses on their own, but in times of such international uncertainty, actions should speak louder than words, and unnecessary gossip should be silenced in lieu of more useful transmissions. Lets spend more time trying to figure out methods to combat these chemical killers than discussing the ways that we can’t.

Whitney Friedrich is a senior majoring in advertising and English.

He is considered among the finest defensive line coaches in the nation. And now, according to a writ ...

This is the time of year when every win or loss can make a difference in a team’s NCAA Tournament ch ...

Mike Brey doesn't pay much attention to the NBA draft stock of opposing players, but the Notre ...

He used to be a Gator. But junior Danny Reyes is plenty happy to be back home and playing for the Un ...

It’s a Wednesday morning, and one by one, the familiar Hurricane faces make their way into the non-d ...

At the University of Miami, the professor has the last word on whether students can use their laptop ...

Members of the University of Miami first response teams remind us of resources available and what to ...

Mexican activist, poet and novelist Javier Sicilia deplored the violence stemming from the “drug war ...

From the North Pole to the South Pole and everywhere in between, the art of UM alumnus Xavier Cortad ...

The No. 25-ranked University of Miami women's golf team finished ninth at the 2018 Allstate Sug ...

Three Miami women's tennis players are featured in this week's Oracle/ITA rankings, along ...

Riding a five-game road winning streak, the Miami women's basketball team will look to make it ...

After capturing its opening series with Rutgers, No. 24 Miami continues a season-opening, seven-game ...

Walker IV scored 19, Izundu scored 14 and the Canes picked up a crucial win in South Bend. ...