Campus Calendar

TODAY
Join the UM chapter of the Mortar Board National Senior Honor Society for the first annual “I Came, I Bid, I Won” silent auction to benefit the scholarship fund at the Rathskeller from 5-7 p.m. Items to be auctioned include two tickets to the UM vs. Virginia Tech football game, a Kaplan graduate prep course, autographed National Championship footballs and more.

As part of International Education Week 2002, come to Salsa Craze, a beginner’s class, in the International lounge from 6-8 p.m.

Need to relax and take a break from the papers and finals from the last three weeks of class? Then check out the Belly Bust at the Rat from 4:30 p.m. – 9 p.m. Come relax and hang with friends during Happy Hour. Then stay for comedian B-Cole, 8 p.m. – 9 p.m. and dance the night away with the DJ from 9 p.m. – 12 a.m. For more info visit www.um-hp.com.

Come and be hypnotized by Craig Karges, 8 p.m. at the UC Patio, sponsored by Hurricane Productions, ‘Canes Night Live Late Night & Weekend Programming

NOVEMBER 23
United Black Students will be hosting a Black Leadership Summit today. It will be held between 9:30 a.m. – 4 p.m. It is for all students. Sign-up is in the United Black Students office Room 215 in the University Center. There is a five dollar security deposit that will be returned to you the day of the event. For more information call the UBS office at 305-284-2583.

Students enrolled in the University of Miami’s Public Relations campaigns course are gaining valuable work experience by conducting a public relations campaign for the YMCA of Greater Miami’s annual Youth and Government Pre-Legislative Workshop. The workshop, to be held tomorrow at the UM School of Law and the UC, will be the largest workshop to date, with approximately 400 high school students from Miami-Dade and Fort Myers expected to attend. This workshop will prepare the students for the YMCA’s 46th annual Youth and Government Conference in Tallahassee next February. There, students will learn the value of democracy by overtaking different governmental roles such as state legislators. This is the fifth year UM students will be handling the campaign for the YMCA. By conducting this event, public relations students have a great opportunity to gain work experience that will help them in their pursuit of a career in public relations.

NOVEMBER 24
The Pearson Book Club brings us Lord of the Rings: Fellowship of the Ring, the first volume of JRR Tolkien’s trilogy, at 6 p.m. in PRC Apartment 137.

NOVEMBER 25
International Night at La Casa Cultural, 7 – 9 p.m., first floor, Pearson Residential College. Come enjoy food with Asian, Latin American and European themes. This event is for visiting exchange students, international students, returning study abroad participants and others interested in study abroad or international study opportunities.

Patricia Ireland, former president of N.O.W, the National Organization for Women, and former UM alumnus will be coming to Eaton Residential College at 8 p.m. She will be hosting an informal conversation on women’s issues and topics discussed in her book, What Women Want. This event will be held in apartment 108. Refreshments will be served.

NOVEMBER 26
From 9 a.m. to 1 p.m., the University of Miami School of Law will host an open house for prospective law students. The event will provide students an opportunity to tour the law school complex and to attend panel discussions featuring members of the law school’s faculty, student body and administration. Check-in begins at 8:15 a.m. and the first panel is scheduled for 9 a.m. For further information or to register for the open house, visit the School of Law’s webpage at www.law.miami.edu/admissions/reccalendar.html or call the Office of Admissions and Recruiting at 305-284-6746.

After jumping three spots from No. 10 to No. 7 last week in the Amway Coaches Poll (one spot better ...

University of Miami weak-side linebacker Michael Pinckney is definitely old-school Miami Hurricane. ...

The question came straight at Ahmmon Richards, like a tight spiral. And this time, he was locked in. ...

The Hurricanes may be young, but they have the talent and poise to make a deep run in March. ...

Miami tight end Christopher Herndon and linebacker Michael Pinckney were among those recognized with ...