Stop planning your future career and just let it flow

If I had a nickel for every time I’ve been asked, “What do you want to do when you graduate?” I wouldn’t have to do anything. It got me thinking, though. In times of such occupational uncertainty, isn’t it better to refrain from typecasting ourselves in lieu of finding employment which could possibly open doors to rooms we didn’t even know existed?
I’ve spent the past four years planning to get a job in the creative department of an advertising agency. It never even occurred to me that there were actually other options for which I may be equally or better suited. However, if I simply send my resume to the creative directors of a whole bunch of advertising agencies, I may be alienating myself from possible openings elsewhere within the agency. But that’s what we do, isn’t it? We shoot ourselves in the foot with the bullets of our own unfounded confidence. We graduate college with dollar signs flashing in our inexperienced eyes and visions of corner offices dancing in our heads. What we fail to realize is that we may not start out where we intend to end up. We’re on one highway now which we’ll be exiting at graduation, but that exit isn’t necessarily the road to our destination; rather, it will lead us to another highway, along which we can find other exits that will take us to other highways and so on and so forth until we find that nice little town called “Security” where we’ll settle down, buy some stock and raise our kids to be just like us.
It isn’t until we release ourselves from some of the preconceived stereotypes and expectations that we can truly begin to find our own success.
In the meantime, we can come to terms with what we’re good at and what we’re not so good at and examine every possible path those “good – ats” can take us. Life can change tomorrow. So what are you going to do about it today to ensure that what you did yesterday doesn’t become obsolete some time next week?

Whitney W. Friedrich is a senior majoring in advertising and English.

Darrell Langham, the redshirt junior receiver who caused an uproar among Miami Hurricanes fans the p ...

This news release just in from the University of Miami, another impressive class about to be inducte ...

The University of Miami men’s basketball team got a welcome dose of good news on Monday night. Verno ...

After a disheartening week of practice injury-wise following the University of Miami’s victory at Fl ...

University of Miami’s highly-touted freshman Lonnie Walker, who had surgery for a torn right meniscu ...

Darrell Langham has been a hero twice this season, but his path to prominence has been a long one. ...

The University of Miami Sports Hall of Fame has announced the Class of 2018 inductees for the 50th A ...

Senior diver Wally Layland was recognized for her standout performance at the SMU Classic with ACC C ...

University of Miami freshman Lonnie Walker IV was among 20 players named to the watch list for the 2 ...

The Miami Hurricanes will begin preparation for the 2018 season when fall practice commences Wed., O ...