Letter to the Editor

Dear Editor,

The testimonials for stimulants such as Adderall in the Life & Art section of the Nov. 12 Hurricane provide interesting insight into the challenges encountered by students as they attempt to respond to academic and other pressures associated with college life. Although it may be enticing for students to rely upon Adderall and other stimulants as a “quick fix” to cope with such challenges, it is important to know that these drugs can be associated with serious side effects including, but not limited to, heart problems, insomnia, sexual impotence, tremors and twitches, irritability and depression if withdrawn inappropriately, and are best left for those with properly diagnosed attention deficit disorder. Students experiencing such side effects as well as those believing they have ADHD should seek appropriate professional attention. For students preferring natural means to enhance their academic performance, the Academic Development Center and Counseling Center can be very helpful.

Howard Anapol M.D., Director, Health Center
Jennifer Brack, Pier 21, Center for Alcohol and Other Drug Education
Malcolm Kahn, Ph., Director, Counseling Center

Gino DiMare on Tuesday stood in a spot that two men before him had crafted into a pinnacle of succes ...

The NBA Draft is on Thursday, and the buzz around the league is that the University of Miami’s Lonni ...

Former NFL and University of Miami star Kellen Winslow Jr. was arrested Thursday for numerous allege ...

Trevor Darling's perseverance paid off. After not being selected in the NFL Draft, the former U ...

Father's Day has never been a big holiday in the Larranaga household because basketball always ...

Colder Atlantic temperatures could change hurricane season forecasts, but the trend isn't expec ...

UM neurorehabilitation expert David S. Kushner, M.D., who helps modern patients recover from brain s ...

Gino DiMare was officially introduced as the 10th head baseball coach in program history Tuesday in ...

Jaquan Johnson was named to Athlon Sports' Preseason All-America First Team, while Shaq Quarter ...

An outstanding showing at the USATF Championships earned Symone Mason a trip to the World U20 Champi ...

UM alum returns to lead Canes' MBB strength and conditioning efforts. ...

Amy Deem was recognized for the third time as the ACC Women's Outdoor Track and Field Coach of ...