Campus Calendar and News Briefs

TODAY
Want to travel the world, build your resume, and make positive differences in the lives of others? Come learn about the Peace Corps in an information session and video presentation from 12 p.m. to 1 p.m. in UC 237. For more information, please contact Erin Seiler, Peace Corps Recruiter, at 305-284-5398,eseiler@umiami.edu or room 101 in the Ferre Building.

BBCMundo and the Institute for Cuban and Cuban-American Studies (ICCAS) at the University of Miami will co-host a panel discussion on the state of public education for Hispanics in Florida from 7 to 9 p.m. at ICCAS’ Casa Bacardi, 1531 Brescia Ave., on UM’s Coral Gables campus. Educacion con Acento Latino (Education with a Latin Accent), which is free and open to the public, will later be broadcast in audio and video by bbcmundo.com. The discussion will be followed by a reception. To RSVP contact the Institute for Cuban and Cuban-American Studies at 305-284-2822 (CUBA) or BBC World Service at 305-445-6397.

Women’s basketball exhibition game vs. Tour of Champions, Inc. at 7 p.m. at the Knight Center.

As part of International Education Week 2002, come to an International Lunch with Faculty Guest Speaker, Dr. Traci Ardren, Dept. of Anthropology, at 12 p.m. in UC Ballroom C. The topic will be “Value and Challenges of Cross-Cultural Exchange Experiences.” RSVP to Chris Tingue at 305-284-3183.

CAC Showing XXX, 8 & 10 p.m. @ Cosford Cinema.

NOVEMBER 20
Islamic Society of UM is sponsoring a Fast-A-Thon as a part of the month of Ramadan. Students, faculty and staff are encouraged to fast for someone else’s hunger. For each participant, local businesses will donate money to the Daily Bread Food Bank, which donates food to Camillus House and the CHARLEE Project. Participants will be invited to break their fasts with a dinner at sundown. To sponsor, participate or find out more, contact Minal Ahson at mahson@miami.edu.
The Wesley Foundation will be hosting a discussion forum at 7 p.m. called “The Death Penalty – Is it ethical or not?” Johnathon S. Simon, a professor at the UM Law School, will be speaking.

Join Cane Cares for a nutrition tour at Stanford Dining Hall between 7 and 8 p.m. For more information please contact 305-284-6524.

As part of International Education Week 2002, come to a Study Abroad Info Session, with past participants speaking, from 12 – 2 p.m. in UC Ballroom C.

NOVEMBER 21
Before the Miami vs. Pittsburgh Football game, from 4-7 p.m. at Tailgate Lot E4, all UM students with a ‘Cane card are invited to a free tailgate party courtesy of the U.S. Army. Feast on Hooters wings, Big Cheese pizza and drinks. Tailgate lot E4 is located across the street from the Gate 7 Student Entrance on the corner of NW Fourth Street & NW 14th Avenue. For more information contact Beth Cunningham, Hurricanes’ Corporate Sales Assistant, at 305-284-5973 or email bcunningham@miami.edu.

Want to do something about HIV/AIDS? Looking for a resume booster? Then sign up for HIV 104 training, which certifies you to speak in Miami-Dade Public Schools about HIV/AIDS. The training will be held from 3 – 7 p.m. You must RSVP to attend, so e-mail visions_um@yahoogroups.com to reserve your spot.
NOVEMBER 22
Join the UM chapter of the Mortar Board National Senior Honor Society for the first annual “I Came, I Bid, I Won” silent auction to benefit the scholarship fund at the Rathskeller from 5-7 p.m. Items to be auctioned include two tickets to the UM vs. Virginia Tech football game, a Kaplan graduate prep course, autographed National Championship footballs and more.

As part of International Education Week 2002, come to Salsa Craze, a beginner’s class, in the International lounge from 6 to 8 p.m.

NOVEMBER 24
The Pearson Book Club brings us Lord of the Rings: Fellowship of the Ring, the first volume of JRR Tolkien’s trilogy, at 6 p.m. in PRC Apartment 137.

The UM chapter of STRIKE (Student Tobacco Reform Initiative: Knowledge for Eternity) will celebrate the American Cancer Society’s Great American Smokeout and promote its “No Butts About It” message to students on Nov. 21 at a table in the UC breezeway from 11 a.m. – 2 p.m. The tabling is in addition to the Adopt-A-Smoker luncheon scheduled for today at 12 p.m. in the Wellness Center. For more information on either event, contact 305-284-6524. STRIKE is established on 17 Florida campuses, funded by the Department of Health, Division of Health Awareness and Tobacco.

Afro-American Studies, American Studies, The History Department, and Multicultural Student Affairs present “Jim Crow Humiliations: Racial Pain and Black Leadership Since 1941,” a lecture and discussion by Dr. Jonathan Holloway, Thursday Nov. 21 from 4 -5:30 p.m. in Mahoney Residential College Apt. 129. Refreshments will be served. Jonathan Holloway is an associate professor of History, American Studies and African American Studies at Yale University. He is the author of Confronting the Veil: Abram Harris Jr., E. Franklin Frazier, and Ralph Bunche, 1919-1941 (2002). He has received fellowships and awards from numerous organizations, including the Smithsonian Institution, the Ford Foundation and the Organization of American Historians.

The Miami Book Fair presents “An Evening with Daniel Ellsberg.” The former Marine commander and Washington D.C. analyst discusses Secrets: A Memoir of Vietnam and the Pentagon Papers, on Fri., Nov. 22, at 8 p.m. in Building 1, Aud. at Miami-Dade Community College, Wolfson Campus, 300 NE 2nd Ave. Admission is free. For more info, call 305-237-3258.

The Richter Library is holding an Amnesty Week for the return of all overdue library materials. From today until Nov. 24, all overdue materials may be returned and the fines will be waived. Prior outstanding debts to the library will not be waived. For questions, contacts Access and Delivery services at 305-284-6466 or email sschwarzer@miami.edu

Many of you have heard about University Village, a residential apartment village for juniors, seniors, graduate and law students located on the Coral Gables Campus. The Village will be located on approximately 12 acres bounded by San Amaro Drive, Brescia Avenue, Red Road and Mataro Avenue. University Village is scheduled to partially open in August 2004 with completion in 2005. Planned for 1,091 residents, it will consist of one, two and four-bedroom apartments. All bedrooms are designed for single occupancy. The Village will provide 1,058 parking spaces for residents and visitor parking. Village residents will only be allowed to park at this location on campus until after 5 p.m. Amenities may include a fitness room, pool, computers and study areas. Full-time managers and community assistants will reside at the complex, with 24-hour security patrols. Visit www.miami.edu/universityvillage for the Fact Sheet, letter from President Shalala, and the petition to support University Village. All petitions and emails will be shared with City of Coral Gables officials during the hearing process.

Seeking a college experience within a diverse community, this graduate found her home away from home ...

‘Part-Time Junior’ Sculpts Her Way to a B.F.A. ...