Sports Briefs

TENNIS
University of Miami sophomore Todd Widom lost in the men’s singles semifinals Saturday at the Omni Hotels National Intercollegiate Indoor Championships, the second of three national championships for collegiate tennis this season.
The Hurricanes standout fell to Illinois’ third-seeded Amer Delic 7-6 (2), 7-5.
Widom, a sophomore who is No. 13 in the Omni Hotels national singles rankings, had pulled out three straight three-set matches over players ranked in the top 30 to reach the semifinals. This was his first collegiate semifinal appearance.
Friday, Widom reached the semifinals thanks to an upset over No. 2 seed Jesse Witten of Kentucky 4-6, 6-4, 6-4 in tonight’s quarterfinals. He opened the day with a 7-6 (3), 4-6, 6-1 second round win over Stanford’s David Martin. Those two results came after a first-round defeat of Zoltan Papp of Baylor in three sets. Widom won the first set 7-5 before falling 7-5 in the second set. He beat Papp 6-4 in the third set to advance in the tournament.
The last Miami player to play at this tournament was Mike Russell, who captured the 1997 title as a freshman
Widom’s record now stands at 8-3 on the season.

SWIMMING & DIVING
The University of Miami women’s swim team fell 131-112 to the University of Tennessee Friday night in Knoxville, despite a number of strong performances by the Hurricanes.
Christine Williams placed first for Miami in the 50-yard freestyle event with a time of 24.07 and Dutch Olympian Manon Van Rooijen took another first place finish for the Hurricanes, winning the 100 free in 52.23.
Katalin Ferenzci won the 200-yard backstroke with a time of 2:03.49 and the 400-relay team of Williams, Erin Johns, Megan Kinsella, and Van Rooijen placed first in 3:30.73.
Katie Beth Bryant took first place in both diving events, scoring 328.65 in the 1-meter event and 305.30 in the 3-meter.
The Hurricanes took first place in six of the 10 events featured at the dual meet, but were thwarted by the Volunteers’ depth.

Darrell Langham, the redshirt junior receiver who caused an uproar among Miami Hurricanes fans the p ...

This news release just in from the University of Miami, another impressive class about to be inducte ...

The University of Miami men’s basketball team got a welcome dose of good news on Monday night. Verno ...

After a disheartening week of practice injury-wise following the University of Miami’s victory at Fl ...

University of Miami’s highly-touted freshman Lonnie Walker, who had surgery for a torn right meniscu ...

Darrell Langham has been a hero twice this season, but his path to prominence has been a long one. ...

The University of Miami Sports Hall of Fame has announced the Class of 2018 inductees for the 50th A ...

Senior diver Wally Layland was recognized for her standout performance at the SMU Classic with ACC C ...

University of Miami freshman Lonnie Walker IV was among 20 players named to the watch list for the 2 ...

The Miami Hurricanes will begin preparation for the 2018 season when fall practice commences Wed., O ...