Sports Briefs

TENNIS
University of Miami sophomore Todd Widom lost in the men’s singles semifinals Saturday at the Omni Hotels National Intercollegiate Indoor Championships, the second of three national championships for collegiate tennis this season.
The Hurricanes standout fell to Illinois’ third-seeded Amer Delic 7-6 (2), 7-5.
Widom, a sophomore who is No. 13 in the Omni Hotels national singles rankings, had pulled out three straight three-set matches over players ranked in the top 30 to reach the semifinals. This was his first collegiate semifinal appearance.
Friday, Widom reached the semifinals thanks to an upset over No. 2 seed Jesse Witten of Kentucky 4-6, 6-4, 6-4 in tonight’s quarterfinals. He opened the day with a 7-6 (3), 4-6, 6-1 second round win over Stanford’s David Martin. Those two results came after a first-round defeat of Zoltan Papp of Baylor in three sets. Widom won the first set 7-5 before falling 7-5 in the second set. He beat Papp 6-4 in the third set to advance in the tournament.
The last Miami player to play at this tournament was Mike Russell, who captured the 1997 title as a freshman
Widom’s record now stands at 8-3 on the season.

SWIMMING & DIVING
The University of Miami women’s swim team fell 131-112 to the University of Tennessee Friday night in Knoxville, despite a number of strong performances by the Hurricanes.
Christine Williams placed first for Miami in the 50-yard freestyle event with a time of 24.07 and Dutch Olympian Manon Van Rooijen took another first place finish for the Hurricanes, winning the 100 free in 52.23.
Katalin Ferenzci won the 200-yard backstroke with a time of 2:03.49 and the 400-relay team of Williams, Erin Johns, Megan Kinsella, and Van Rooijen placed first in 3:30.73.
Katie Beth Bryant took first place in both diving events, scoring 328.65 in the 1-meter event and 305.30 in the 3-meter.
The Hurricanes took first place in six of the 10 events featured at the dual meet, but were thwarted by the Volunteers’ depth.

March is just around the corner; and University of Miami basketball coach Jim Larrañaga wants his pl ...

Erykah Davenport always hated being The Tall Girl. Every class picture, she was in the back row, tow ...

A little more than two years ago, Larry Scott was serving as the Miami Hurricanes’ interim head coac ...

The college basketball world woke up Friday morning to a bombshell report by Yahoo Sports detailing ...

A six-pack of Canes notes on a Thursday: ▪ Draft-eligible Canes players are getting increasing recog ...

Student a cappella group BisCaydence wins quarterfinals and advances to the next round in the intern ...

A closer look at the University of Miami's executive vice president for business and finance an ...

The popular Christian minister preached to more people than any other evangelist in history. ...

A vigil on the University of Miami campus, organized by UM students who graduated from Marjory Stone ...

The latest speaker in the popular lecture series at the Rosenstiel School, Jeff Goodell, shared insi ...

The Miami women's basketball team plays its last game of the 2017-18 regular season Sunday at 4 ...

Canes and Eagles play at 2 p.m. Saturday in key ACC matchup. ...

Continuing a season-opening, seven-game homestand, No. 24 Miami is looking for its second straight s ...

The Miami women's tennis team resumes play Saturday with its second match of the season at a ne ...

Check out the best images from Day 1 at the 2018 ACC Indoor Championships. ...