It’s a fat frenzy so eat your heart out America!

I heard a startling statistic the other day that something like 80 percent of adult Americans are overweight. I think it came some time in between news of the fat guy suing the fast food companies, and the arrival of the Publix truck at my apartment complex. Is it really that much of a mystery why such a large percentage of Americans are so…large? Could it be because we’re lazy?
These days, it’s completely feasible to spend our entire life in the comfort of our living room! It all began inconspicuously enough, with infomercials for the clapper, but now such effort-saving, carbohydrate-enabling devices and techniques have infiltrated our consumer market!
Gone are those lovely Sunday afternoon after church, the highlight of my week as a kid: grocery shopping day! Dad, frantically shuffling through his coupons and eating half the deli meat before reaching the checkout line, mom complaining that dad was embarrassing her, shuffling through all those coupons and eating half the deli meat before reaching the checkout line, and me, skipping aimlessly up and down the aisles, singing catchy product jingles as the spirit moved me… All these cozy Hallmark moments have been brutally shot down, because now, grocery stores, pharmacies and even pet product suppliers can deliver right to your door! Instead of “K-R-A-F-T,” I’m stuck humming the beep, beep, beep of the grocery truck backing into my neighbor’s driveway and that certainly won’t land me a spot on the next American Idol!
In these days of evolving efforts to accommodate a society that seems “too busy” to do anything but sit on their couch and reschedule their palm pilot, is there any justifiable wonder why, as a country, we’re not as fit as we used to be? Imagine the calories those frontiersmen burned every day fighting off Indians and chasing down runaway Conestoga wagons! Well, rest easy because now, we have On-Star!
Most of us have automobiles, so we drive EVERYWHERE. I’m pretty certain that the surplus of cars parked in the Learning Center and Memorial lots can’t all belong to commuters, and I’ll even admit, that on various occasions, I have actually driven to the mailboxes in my apartment complex. Why? Because I can.
So, it’s safe to say that we can all fare pretty well by doing absolutely nothing for the rest of our lives, getting fat and then suing Burger King, because apparently that is the new American way of life.
Oh, but first you’d better get the door. It’s Domino’s.
Whitney Friedrich is a senior majoring in advertising and English.

The Hurricanes wrapped up spring with a big, as in 6-5 and 290 pounds, surprise on Saturday. Four-st ...

Spring ended Saturday for the Miami Hurricanes, with hundreds of UM football alumni and family membe ...

One day left for the youngsters to show University of Miami coach Mark Richt what they can do. One d ...

Former Miami Norland High star Zach Johnson is coming home for his final year of college basketball. ...

They have been feted and adored for years by football fans from coast to coast. But legends Frank Go ...

The Energy and Conservation Organization was recognized with the 2018 Roberta “Bosey” Fulbright Foot ...

The Brazilian judge whose office spearheaded a massive corruption and bribery investigation said tha ...

The director of the University of Miami's Osher Lifelong Learning Institute, who passed away Ap ...

Business Professor Patricia Abril, and Trustee Stuart Miller receive Faculty Senate's highest h ...

Miami's women's track and field team entered the top-15 in the latest edition of the NCAA ...

Junior righthander Andrew Cabezas was recognized with ACC Pitcher of the Week honors after an outsta ...

Hurricanes record their best round of tournament on Monday. ...

The University of Miami men's tennis team highlighted its Senior Day with a 4-0 sweep against D ...

The No. 17 Miami women's tennis team wrapped up the regular season with its sixth straight vict ...