‘Canes 1 up, 1 down over the weekend

The University of Miami volleyball team bounced back from a grueling five-game loss to Pittsburgh with a win over West Virginia Sunday in Morgantown, W. Va.
The Hurricanes (22-4, 8-3 in Big East Conference play) cruised in all three games winning 30-19, 30-23, 30-24. The Mountaineers fell to 9-18, 3-9.
“It was great to see us bounce back,” said coach Nicole Lantagne Welch. “We really came ready to play. This was the most prepared I’ve seen us coming into a match. I was great to see our team so focused and determined.”
UM was led by senior outside hitter Marcella Gamarra, who had a match high .406 hitting percentage and 15 kills. Gamarra also led the Hurricanes in digs with 10. Lantagne Welch noted that sophomore outside hitter Biz Tyson also had a solid game, chipping in 11 kills and just one error.
The Hurricanes were also strong along the net. Robin Lewullis had six blocks in all, while Valeria Tipiana and Karla Johsnon each had five.
Friday, the Hurricanes were edged in a five-game match by Big East stalwart Pittsburgh Friday night on the Panthers’ home court.
After falling in the first game 30-26, the Hurricanes stormed back with twin 30-28 wins before losing the fourth game 30-26.
In the final game, the Panthers prevailed by a hair’s breadth, winning 15-13 and taking the match.
Pittsburgh’s Megan Miller, who tallied a match high 28 kills, harried the Hurricanes throughout the match. UM was led by sophomore outside hitter Valeria Tipiana who generated 21 kills. Libero player Jamie Grass led UM on defense with 19 digs.
The Hurricanes hope that Sunday’s victory will result in renewed confidence going into a tough home match against Notre Dame. The Irish are undefeated in conference play and are traditionally one of the stronger teams in the Big East.
-Compiled by the Sports Information Department.

The college football season doesn't begin until the end of August, but that never stops media o ...

There were indications, even before Lonnie Walker IV was selected No. 18 by the San Antonio Spurs in ...

Add another player to the Miami Hurricanes' 2019 recruiting class. Defensive end Jahfari Harvey ...

From the onset, the Miami Hurricanes' plan was for the Carol Soffer football indoor practice fa ...

Gino DiMare on Tuesday stood in a spot that two men before him had crafted into a pinnacle of succes ...

At the University of Miami, employee recognition comes in many forms. ...

Community art project encourages the public to explore the vibrant downtown area of Coral Gables and ...

It appears that his third run for the presidency will be successful as he distances himself from the ...

The University of Miami volleyball program will host nine ACC home matches and the Sunshine State Ch ...

Walker picked 18th overall by San Antonio Spurs, Brown 42nd by Detroit Pistons. ...

Gino DiMare was introduced as the 10th head baseball coach in Canes' history. ...

The University of Miami women's golf team had three individuals selected to the 2018 Atlantic C ...

Haley Templeton is set to travel to Detroit, Mich., on Friday to train and compete with the U.S. Wom ...