Students can get published in new Cane ‘Zine

Attention undergraduate writers! Finally, there’s a forum for UM writers of both fiction and non-fiction.
The College of Arts and Sciences plans to offer ENG 306, a new magazine publishing class that will be offered in spring 2003.
The course is open to any student who has taken or has tested out of ENG 105 and will count toward three credits in literature.
ENG 306 students will publish an online literary magazine called Cane ‘Zine, filled with both fiction and non-fiction writing from UM students.
“I’m a cheerleader for the program,” said Dr. Peter Bellis, chair of the English department. “We’ve had literary magazines featuring students’ work in the past, but they’re always started by junior or senior students.
“As soon as they graduate, the magazines fall apart. This is a chance to start a continuous publication.”
Margaret Marshall, director of English composition, had the idea last year to start a class for the UM 75th anniversary that published a print edition of the Arts and Sciences magazine.
According to those involved in the project, over 80 students submitted work and the abundant interest in the course led the department to try a more versatile publication this year online instead of a print version.
“We decided to make it web-based because of the low cost,” said Gina Maranto, who will be teaching the class next semester. “Also, the web makes it available to an international audience. There are print-based journals like the Canyon River Review and the Mississippi Review from other universities. We can be the same, only on the web.”
Recently, Maranto received an A+ on her evaluation from students on the website myProfessorSucks.com.
According to the course description book for the English Department, one of the objectives of the course is to introduce students to the process of editorial development and layout and design of both magazine and internet publishing.
“I’m from a magazine background, so this is perfect for me,” Maranto said.
Many students wonder why there wasn’t an undergraduate magazine at a university of this size.
“We tell students that they’re part of a community of thinkers and writers, but what does that really mean?” Maranto asked. “Professors publish the results of their work, but often, students do their work and it is all but invisible.”
The class also gives interested students a chance to work hands-on in all aspects of the publishing environment, including editing, researching, writing, rewriting, fact checking and web publishing, as well as layout and design.
The magazine will be published every spring; however, if the magazine gets a strong response, the department will consider running the class every semester.
“I’m looking forward to the opportunity for students to contribute and put their work out into the world,” Bellis said.
Cane ‘Zine is also part of an effort to boost UM’s status as a research institution.
Any UM student can, and is encouraged, to submit writing for publication in the magazine.
Students can submit non-fiction work directly to Professor Maranto via e-mail at glmaranto@earthlink.net.
Fiction and poetry writers should contact Fred D’Aguiar or Maureen Seaton of the Creative Writing Program.
For more info on the class itself, visit the English Composition website at http://www.miami.edu/UMH/CDA/UMH_Main/1,1770,8543-1;14700-3,00.html.

Jaclyn Lisenby can be contacted at j.lisenby2001@yahoo.com.

Former NFL and University of Miami star Kellen Winslow Jr. was arrested Thursday for numerous allege ...

Trevor Darling's perseverance paid off. After not being selected in the NFL Draft, the former U ...

Father's Day has never been a big holiday in the Larranaga household because basketball always ...

The start to former Miami Hurricanes defensive end Chad Thomas' NFL career is going through a m ...

At one section of Miami's Richmond Park, Hurricanes offensive line coach Stacy Searels taught a ...

Colder Atlantic temperatures could change hurricane season forecasts, but the trend isn't expec ...

UM neurorehabilitation expert David S. Kushner, M.D., who helps modern patients recover from brain s ...

UM News interviewed a Miami Business School professor to learn more about claims that the changes co ...

An outstanding showing at the USATF Championships earned Symone Mason a trip to the World U20 Champi ...

UM alum returns to lead Canes' MBB strength and conditioning efforts. ...

Amy Deem was recognized for the third time as the ACC Women's Outdoor Track and Field Coach of ...

During the 2017-18 school year, Miami had student-athletes from 17 of the 32 countries in the FIFA W ...

The University of Miami track and field program got off to a strong start at the 2018 USATF Junior O ...