New publication caters to the Kosher ‘Canes

Kosher Cane, the unofficial Jewish Publication on Campus, found its way into residence halls on campus three weeks ago.
“We realize that many on-campus organizations are not aware of the need for their publications to go through the student review board, but it is something we would like them to do,” said Norm Parsons, chairman of the Board of Publications.
Currently, those involved with the publication are in contact with the student publication board at UM. The next meeting is scheduled for Nov. 15.
The Kosher Cane is a collaborative project by members of the Mayer Simcha Chabad at UM (an organization of Jewish students), Florida International University [FIU] and Miami-Dade Community College [MDCC].
“We hope to bring a different perspective on certain issues that affect Jewish students on campus and anybody that wants to learn,” said Rabbi Mendy Fellig, director and rabbi of the Mayer Simcha Chabad at UM. “Although it’s a Jewish newspaper, I’ve had feedback from students who are not Jewish that feel it gives them insight into Jewish practices, opinions, and views.”
Among the articles from the first issue of the paper are an explanation on what Jewish tradition says about life in outer space and an article about the Faculty Israel Experience, a program that strives to “provide students with a first-hand Israel experience.”
In addition, there is a political cartoon, a listing of upcoming events and photos taken on the UM campus throughout the 12-page publication.
The latest issue of the paper contains a tribute to the memory of Mayer Simcha Leiter O.B.M., who led efforts to establish Chabad at UM and founded the Jewish Comparative Law Society.
“Everyone who knew Mayer, and many people did, will tell you that he touched their lives differently than other people,” said an article printed in the Kosher Kane about Leiter. “It made no difference who you were or what religion you practiced. It was with this special outlook he inspired those around him, at times single handedly, to change the world around them.”
Rabbi Fellig says that the publication will be printed four to five times a year.
According to Parsons, the student publication board is merely a tool that is meant to provide guidance to organizations or groups interested in creating and distributing a publication.
“We have never had to bar a publication based on content,” Parsons said. “Although we can, we basically serve as a watchdog to make sure that the organization has enough money to cover costs of printing, has an advisor and also to make sure that students are not getting themselves in a position to be held personally liable for anything distributed.”
Some Jewish students on campus have been unaware of the release of the Kosher Cane, although it is available at the front desk and lobby of each of the residence halls.
“I’ve heard of it but I haven’t seen it,” freshman Adam Rabinowitz said.
Editors of the Kosher Cane and students involved with the publication could not be reached for comment.

Dan Ceriano can be contacted at bazoom9546@aol.com; Jorge Arauz can be contacted at xxarauzxx@yahoo.com.

It's almost summer, time for college football players to wind down and chill out — every now an ...

More than a decade after former University of Miami football star Sean Taylor was murdered during a ...

Lonnie Walker excelled on the court during the NBA Combine in Chicago last week. The potential lotte ...

Athlon Sports released its projections for the 2018 college football season Monday. The predictions ...

Here is some impressive news for the University of Miami football program: All but one of the remain ...

Voters head to the polls in a historic election to choose the country’s next president. ...

From boathouse to marine research powerhouse, the Rosenstiel School of Marine and Atmospheric Scienc ...

Over his more than two decades at the U, the dean of students from 1976-1989 always put students fir ...

For the 16th year in a row, the Miami women's tennis team ended the season ranked in the top 20 ...

Ranked and seeded third, Estela Perez-Somarriba of the Miami women's tennis team tallied a 6-3, ...

The Hurricanes will be in action at the 2018 NCAA East Preliminary, scheduled for May 24-26 at the U ...

Hurricanes' programs post strong APR marks once again. ...

No. 7 seed Hurricanes staged a late comeback to win their opening game at the 2018 ACC Championship, ...