New publication caters to the Kosher ‘Canes

Kosher Cane, the unofficial Jewish Publication on Campus, found its way into residence halls on campus three weeks ago.
“We realize that many on-campus organizations are not aware of the need for their publications to go through the student review board, but it is something we would like them to do,” said Norm Parsons, chairman of the Board of Publications.
Currently, those involved with the publication are in contact with the student publication board at UM. The next meeting is scheduled for Nov. 15.
The Kosher Cane is a collaborative project by members of the Mayer Simcha Chabad at UM (an organization of Jewish students), Florida International University [FIU] and Miami-Dade Community College [MDCC].
“We hope to bring a different perspective on certain issues that affect Jewish students on campus and anybody that wants to learn,” said Rabbi Mendy Fellig, director and rabbi of the Mayer Simcha Chabad at UM. “Although it’s a Jewish newspaper, I’ve had feedback from students who are not Jewish that feel it gives them insight into Jewish practices, opinions, and views.”
Among the articles from the first issue of the paper are an explanation on what Jewish tradition says about life in outer space and an article about the Faculty Israel Experience, a program that strives to “provide students with a first-hand Israel experience.”
In addition, there is a political cartoon, a listing of upcoming events and photos taken on the UM campus throughout the 12-page publication.
The latest issue of the paper contains a tribute to the memory of Mayer Simcha Leiter O.B.M., who led efforts to establish Chabad at UM and founded the Jewish Comparative Law Society.
“Everyone who knew Mayer, and many people did, will tell you that he touched their lives differently than other people,” said an article printed in the Kosher Kane about Leiter. “It made no difference who you were or what religion you practiced. It was with this special outlook he inspired those around him, at times single handedly, to change the world around them.”
Rabbi Fellig says that the publication will be printed four to five times a year.
According to Parsons, the student publication board is merely a tool that is meant to provide guidance to organizations or groups interested in creating and distributing a publication.
“We have never had to bar a publication based on content,” Parsons said. “Although we can, we basically serve as a watchdog to make sure that the organization has enough money to cover costs of printing, has an advisor and also to make sure that students are not getting themselves in a position to be held personally liable for anything distributed.”
Some Jewish students on campus have been unaware of the release of the Kosher Cane, although it is available at the front desk and lobby of each of the residence halls.
“I’ve heard of it but I haven’t seen it,” freshman Adam Rabinowitz said.
Editors of the Kosher Cane and students involved with the publication could not be reached for comment.

Dan Ceriano can be contacted at bazoom9546@aol.com; Jorge Arauz can be contacted at xxarauzxx@yahoo.com.

Daniela Deu was drawn to both architecture and urbanism, believes architecture can change communitie ...

Canes Basketball player development assistant will graduate with MSED in Sport Administation. ...

UOnline graduate will earn his M.S. in Health Informatics ...

Seeking a college experience within a diverse community, this graduate found her home away from home ...