Campaign plagued by incompetent politicians

With the Election Day hoopla over with for another two years, let me speak for many by breathing a sigh of relief!
I think the fear that Florida would mess up once again and become yet another national spectacle outweighed the actual election itself.
Does anyone else feel like they’re getting to be too big of a deal, especially at the consequence of other, vastly more important issues being pushed to the wayside? The first year of a new candidate’s year in office is all about the election aftereffects and inauguration. The last year, if it’s the candidate’s first term in office, is devoted to rallying and gaining support for reelection. If it’s the last year of a candidate who’s already been in office for two terms, then it’s spent on what incumbent they’re endorsing. And then there’s the irony that the whole debacle of the election overshadows the job they’re trying to run for in the first place. Add the time in government it takes to do anything, and you virtually get a big fat nothing accomplished.
Just look at the recent chaos of the Haitian immigrants who ran ashore on the causeway last week. Within hours, the headline was not, how are we going to deal with this situation, but rather the controversial law that Jeb Bush’s presidential sibling George W. passed to require that illegal Haitian immigrants be returned to their country immediately. So what did Bush do? He raced to say that he does not totally keep with his brother’s decision, in order to not offend Haitian protest groups, and risk losing precious votes. McBride wasted no time in calling radio stations and sending out letters supporting the Haitian migrants. In South Florida, it’s all about pleasing as many minority groups as possible to get those votes, isn’t’ it? It’s just one big political maneuver. All of this overlooks the main problem: why these people risked their lives in the first place by leaving their country to seek a better life in ours.
Regardless of these serious problems going unsolved in the wake of elections, I grow sick of constantly hearing about campaigning, rallying, press releases and the like. There needs to be much less time devoted to the tired election process, and more to the actual pressing issues that mean something. If the governor is so damn busy with all of this reelection business, I want to know who is running the state of Florida and dealing with all of the real things that need attention. Because from where I stand, mixing it up at high-profile celebrity-magnet banquets night after night sure as hell doesn’t constitute governing a whole state to me.
Derek Bramble is a senior majoring in Broadcast Journalism and Theatre.

The college football season doesn't begin until the end of August, but that never stops media o ...

There were indications, even before Lonnie Walker IV was selected No. 18 by the San Antonio Spurs in ...

Add another player to the Miami Hurricanes' 2019 recruiting class. Defensive end Jahfari Harvey ...

From the onset, the Miami Hurricanes' plan was for the Carol Soffer football indoor practice fa ...

Gino DiMare on Tuesday stood in a spot that two men before him had crafted into a pinnacle of succes ...

At the University of Miami, employee recognition comes in many forms. ...

Community art project encourages the public to explore the vibrant downtown area of Coral Gables and ...

It appears that his third run for the presidency will be successful as he distances himself from the ...

Anna Runia won the women's 400m hurdles at the Netherlands track and field championships, while ...

The University of Miami volleyball program will host nine ACC home matches and the Sunshine State Ch ...

Walker picked 18th overall by San Antonio Spurs, Brown 42nd by Detroit Pistons. ...

Gino DiMare was introduced as the 10th head baseball coach in Canes' history. ...

The University of Miami women's golf team had three individuals selected to the 2018 Atlantic C ...