Letter to the Editor

Re: Face the facts. . . most people support the war with Iraq.
I find it appalling that you would state public opinion polls as justification for discrediting the general consensus on campus that war against Iraq is ill advised. Right wing radicals now occupying our hallowed White House continue to cast Clinton as a “poll panderer,” yet akin to Karl Rove and, oh yes, Dubya himself, you have justified your stance solely on public opinion. Shame on you. As for the parallel your argument tried to discredit concerning the threat of North Korea and Iraq, nothing has seemed to me more irrationally stated and illogically derived.
Obviously, Dubya was aware that the knowledge of North Korea nuclear armaments would stall his coveted war resolution against Iraq. How do we know? Oh, he just conveniently withheld the information from Congress for twelve days. If it was such a non-issue, why do so?
The basic premise Dubya has given in his argument to attack Iraq is that they are deemed a threat to our security, in that they possess or have the potential to possess weapons of mass destruction. Yet, if we attack Iraq, it will be a much different war than in 1991. Rather than repelling an invasion, we are seeking “regime change.” Hussein, having nothing to lose in the event that the United States attacks to remove him from power, would use these very weapons we are trying to prevent him from using against our own soldiers. He will launch scuds at Israel like he did in 1991, except this time they will be infused with tons upon tons of chemical agents. And why not? The Republicans argue that they used them against the Iranians in the ’80s, so why wouldn’t they use them against us in combat? Since your argument likes polls so much, a new Poll published by Gallup shows the majority of Americans against war with Iraq if significant casualties are to be incurred.
Finally, this is not the first time an enemy of the United States has possessed or has had the potentiality of attaining nuclear armaments.
What makes Iraq, who does not even have nuclear weapons yet, such a threat? Assuming your argument that North Korea is not as much of a threat, which clearly is not the case, what makes Iran a lesser threat? They possess the ability to produce nuclear armaments as well and are the foremost sponsor of terrorism worldwide. Your argument does not hold up well to my light criticisms, so hopefully upon refinement you could achieve the impossible – justification for war against Iraq.
-Christian G. Wilson, President of College Democrats, is a junior majoring in political science and philosophy.

Not only are the Hurricanes in the mix for at least five high-end running backs for the 2019 class, ...

After assembling one of the nation’s best groups of skill position players in the 2018 recruiting cl ...

Coach Kool, AKA Craig Kuligowski, is gone from the University of Miami, which is entirely uncool wit ...

He is considered among the finest defensive line coaches in the nation. And now, according to a writ ...

This is the time of year when every win or loss can make a difference in a team’s NCAA Tournament ch ...

Sea Secrets: Acclaimed Journalist Talks Sea Level-Rise ...

At the University of Miami, the professor has the last word on whether students can use their laptop ...

Members of the University of Miami first response teams remind us of resources available and what to ...

Mexican activist, poet and novelist Javier Sicilia deplored the violence stemming from the “drug war ...

From the North Pole to the South Pole and everywhere in between, the art of UM alumnus Xavier Cortad ...

Former Hurricane guard signs 10-day contract with Indiana Pacers. ...

The University of Miami track and field team will compete against fellow conference members at the 2 ...

After capturing its opening series with Rutgers, No. 24 Miami continues a season-opening, seven-game ...

The latest edition of Quick Hits introduces middle blocker Bridget Wallenberger ...

The No. 25-ranked University of Miami women's golf team finished ninth at the 2018 Allstate Sug ...