Campus Calendar and News Briefs

TODAY
Beloved faculty member and student advisor of 30 years Dr. Marion Jefferson, Associate Chair of the Department of Art and Art History, passed away unexpectedly at her home in South Miami on Oct. 24. A memorial service for the University community will be held in the Lowe Art Museum from 3 to 4:30 p.m. Light refreshments will be served. All are welcome.

FEC will be selling “pan con lechon” at the UC breezeway from 11:30 a.m. to 1 p.m. Sandwiches will be sold for only three dollars. Call extension 6290 for more information.

The University of Miami Interfraternity Council, in conjunction with the Panhellenic Association, will be hosting the annual Greek Life Faculty Appreciation Banquet at 5:15 p.m. in the George A. Smathers Courtyard at the Wellness Center. All are invited to attend. Fore more details, please contact the Dean of Students Office at 305-284-5353.

Eight Legged Freaks will be playing at the Cosford Cinema at 8 and 10 p.m.

NOVEMBER 6
Join Cane Cares for a fitness room tour at the Wellness Center between 7 and 8 p.m. For more information please contact 305-284-6524.

Hurricane Productions will show a sneak preview of 8 mile starring Eminem at 9 p.m. at the Cosford Cinema. Passes are available in UC 206.

The Toppel Career Center is hosting a program at 5:30 p.m. entitled “Careers in the Non-Profit Industry,” with guest speakers from the United Way, American Red Cross, Regis House and Fairchild Tropical Garden discussing opportunities. Contact Anna Cuba at 305-284-1818 or acuba@miami.edu for more details.

Solutions Interdisciplinary Forum, The Department of Religious Studies and the Center for Ethics and Public Service present “The Role of Religion in Our Secular Society,” from 5 – 6:15 p.m. in Eaton 148. This Interdisciplinary Panel will feature Ms. Harriet Rubin Roberts, Senior Fellow at the School of Law; Dr. Joyce Schuld, Assistant Professor with the Department of Religious Studies; and Dr. Harvey Siegel, Professor and Chair of the Department of Philosophy. Contact solutions.studorg@miami.edu for more information.

NOVEMBER 7
A presentation on Miccosukee Heritage by Buffalo and Lee Tiger, a Native American Celebration at the Lowe Art Museum, will address the Miccosukee culture and heritage from 2 till 6 p.m. To RSVP, please contact the Office of Multicultural Student Affairs (MSA) at 305-284-2855.

The United Black Students will be hosting a forum entitled The Hip-Hop Generation with guest speaker Bakari Kitwana, former executive editor of The Source: The Magazine of Hip-Hop Music, Culture and Politics. The forum will be held at 7 p.m. in the I-Lounge. For more information contact Renee D. Callan at 305-284-6399.

NOVEMBER 8
Want to work and study at the Cannes International Film Festival or learn the Hollywood terrain one-on-one? Be part of The American Pavilion/Kodak Student Filmmaker Program or The American Pavilion’s L.A. Intensive Program. For more information please come to the meeting at 11 a.m. in Wolfson Studio 1008A. Representatives from The American Pavilion will be discussing student programs and answering questions. You may also visit the web site at www.ampav.com, then link to Student Program or L.A. Intensive.

Friday Groove proudly presents the funky New Orleans band, John Cleary & the Absolute Monster Gentleman, from 11:30 a.m. – 1:30 p.m. on the UC Patio.

NOVEMBER 10
La Pena Cafe-The La Casa Cultural Coffeehouse. Attention ALL UM students: enjoy a free open-mic night with live performances, snacks and Starbucks beverages in the PRC classrooms at 7 p.m. Calling all poets, musicians, writers and bands. Sign up at the Pearson front desk for a time slot to perform. Call up Pearson at 8-4211 with any questions.

NOVEMBER 12
Friday Groove presents the Aaron Katz Band, jamming on the UC patio from 11:30 a.m. till 1:30 p.m.

Save a life by becoming a blood donor. The Wellness Center will hold a blood drive from 4 – 9 p.m. on Monday and Tuesday, Nov. 3 & 4 in the atrium. For more information, call the Wellness Suite at 305-284-5433.

Come to Happy Hour at the Rat every Thursday from 5 till 8 p.m. Come and loosen up after class . . .

The Ring Theater will present She Loves Me Nov. 15 – 23, based on the same play that generated The Shop Around the Corner and You’ve Got Mail. For more information on times and ticket prices, call the box office at 305-284-3355 or visit the Ring’s Web site.

The College of Arts & Sciences and the Department of Art and Art History present an on-campus outdoor art installation titled The Sky Above Us, Nov. 15-27, created by artists Roberto Behar and Rosario Marquardt. A reception for the artists will be held 6:30 – 8:30 p.m., Friday, Nov. 15 at the Palm Court at the end of Memorial Drive. Their work spans from painting to the urban realm and melds the boundaries of architecture and the visual arts. Admission is free. For more information, call 305-284-2542.

The UM/Sylvester Comprehensive Cancer Center launched a new era in breast cancer research and care yesterday with the creation of the Braman Breast Cancer Institute, made possible by a $5 million gift from the Norman and Irma Braman Family Foundation. Recruited to lead the initiative is world-renowned breast cancer researcher Joyce Slingerland, M.D., Ph.D., from the University of Toronto.

Due to the construction work at the Convocation Center, the west end of Walsh Avenue will be closed for approximately three weeks. The Serpentine Lot (The Snake Lot, for the rest of us) will not be accessible from the east end of Walsh Avenue (close to Merrick Drive). The gate on Dickinson Drive will be left open with a security guard stationed to control access into Dickinson Drive. If you should have any questions or concerns, contact Eddie Lopez at 305-284-6184.

The Wellness Center’s BeSmokeFree program offers UM students traditional smoking cessation classes plus techniques such as acupuncture and hypnotherapy, pharmacological treatments (nicotine patch, gum, inhaler), quit kits, etc. to help individuals successfully quit smoking. The seven-session program begins in January on the Coral Gables and Medical School campuses. Program scholarships may be available to students. For more information on the program, call 305-243-3209, or visit www.miami.edu/besmokefree. For information on program scholarships, contact 305-284-6524. Free smoking cessation telephonic counseling is available through the Cancer Information Service (National Cancer Institute); call 1-800-4-CANCER.

CORRECTION
Photographs taken at the Saturday, Oct. 26 anti-war rally and published in the Tuesday, Oct. 29 issue of The Hurricane were incorrectly attributed. The photographer was Connie Leonard.

Seeking a college experience within a diverse community, this graduate found her home away from home ...

‘Part-Time Junior’ Sculpts Her Way to a B.F.A. ...