art review: Oooh that smell – Chapped fish lips at the Daniel Azoulay Gallery

Chapped fish lips.

When looking at Frederic Nakache’s photograph, it may be difficult to prevent your stomach from churning. Within the Daniel Azoulay Gallery, this is one of 38 pieces for its Untitled show. So how can one rate the degree and quality of creativity in this art show? I would say, only 19 images contain any thought-provoking works.

Karen Thompson’s “Control Freak” puts the viewer in a position to see a photograph of a woman literally restraining her inner wolf. Surrounded by the vivid reds, oranges, yellows, greens, and browns among the leaves and greenery, the woman appears content, yet an angry wolf tries to break free from within her body. The piece is stunning and intense, leaving the viewer bewildered, which makes for quality art.

Another piece is a black-and-white photograph of a demolished opera house-it offers a feeling of calmness in the mist of destruction. David Ottenstein chooses an active angle where shadows are seen overlapping one another to form various shades of gray in order to bring to life his photograph, “Hyperion Theater.” This Victorian opera house ironically intermixes classic elegance with modern components. A new brick wall is faintly noticeable behind the side of the theater that is completely torn down. The photograph shows beauty through ruin as well as the appetite and aesthetic quality of devastation.

Other highlights include photographs by Bernadi Roig, Harvey Zipkin, Meg Pukel, DA, and Elena Ehrenwald.

Untitled runs through Nov. 23 at the Daniel Azoulay Gallery, 3900 A NE 1st Ave. For more info, call 305-576-1977.

Erin Wright can be reached at ewright@umsis.miami.edu