art review: Oooh that smell – Chapped fish lips at the Daniel Azoulay Gallery

Chapped fish lips.

When looking at Frederic Nakache’s photograph, it may be difficult to prevent your stomach from churning. Within the Daniel Azoulay Gallery, this is one of 38 pieces for its Untitled show. So how can one rate the degree and quality of creativity in this art show? I would say, only 19 images contain any thought-provoking works.

Karen Thompson’s “Control Freak” puts the viewer in a position to see a photograph of a woman literally restraining her inner wolf. Surrounded by the vivid reds, oranges, yellows, greens, and browns among the leaves and greenery, the woman appears content, yet an angry wolf tries to break free from within her body. The piece is stunning and intense, leaving the viewer bewildered, which makes for quality art.

Another piece is a black-and-white photograph of a demolished opera house-it offers a feeling of calmness in the mist of destruction. David Ottenstein chooses an active angle where shadows are seen overlapping one another to form various shades of gray in order to bring to life his photograph, “Hyperion Theater.” This Victorian opera house ironically intermixes classic elegance with modern components. A new brick wall is faintly noticeable behind the side of the theater that is completely torn down. The photograph shows beauty through ruin as well as the appetite and aesthetic quality of devastation.

Other highlights include photographs by Bernadi Roig, Harvey Zipkin, Meg Pukel, DA, and Elena Ehrenwald.

Untitled runs through Nov. 23 at the Daniel Azoulay Gallery, 3900 A NE 1st Ave. For more info, call 305-576-1977.

Erin Wright can be reached at ewright@umsis.miami.edu

After assembling one of the nation’s best groups of skill position players in the 2018 recruiting cl ...

Coach Kool, AKA Craig Kuligowski, is gone from the University of Miami, which is entirely uncool wit ...

He is considered among the finest defensive line coaches in the nation. And now, according to a writ ...

This is the time of year when every win or loss can make a difference in a team’s NCAA Tournament ch ...

Mike Brey doesn't pay much attention to the NBA draft stock of opposing players, but the Notre ...

At the University of Miami, the professor has the last word on whether students can use their laptop ...

Members of the University of Miami first response teams remind us of resources available and what to ...

Mexican activist, poet and novelist Javier Sicilia deplored the violence stemming from the “drug war ...

From the North Pole to the South Pole and everywhere in between, the art of UM alumnus Xavier Cortad ...

The No. 25-ranked University of Miami women's golf team finished ninth at the 2018 Allstate Sug ...

Three Miami women's tennis players are featured in this week's Oracle/ITA rankings, along ...

Riding a five-game road winning streak, the Miami women's basketball team will look to make it ...

After capturing its opening series with Rutgers, No. 24 Miami continues a season-opening, seven-game ...

Walker IV scored 19, Izundu scored 14 and the Canes picked up a crucial win in South Bend. ...