Hallucinogenic ogres and anatomical machinery

Quite often, the word “science” brings to mind beakers, Bunsen burners and those hideous plastic safety goggles. Try to forget the forceps and focus on the science of the everyday world, as the art exhibit Science Friction seems to beg at the Dorsch Gallery. A joint effort, Science Friction features the collaboration of artists Dave Colosi, Christian Duran, Vickie Pierre and Christopher Skura. It’s a strange and dissimilar display, seemingly disjointed, but ultimately the odd themes combine to offer a synthesizing impression.

Pierre’s works are fanciful creations of vivid colors, offset with contrasting detail. Many of her paintings are small, measuring a square foot or less. The vibrant colors immediately stand out amidst scattered phrases in tiny rounded cursive, a motif of multicolored droplets, and even a hint of romantic influence. “The Dream I Never Knew” is a stunning palette of a fiery red-orange background laced with rivulets of bright blue.

Skura’s work weaves geometric themes within the small, precise drawings of boxes and angular shapes. Ubiquitous graph-paper-like backgrounds add a touch of mathematical atmosphere to the meticulous detail. “Virus” is Skura’s most striking work, a vibrant meddle of neat box-like shapes, highlighted in lime green with accents of red and gold. “Art Machine” takes a different direction with black pencil shading, featuring an elaborate contraption presumably for harnessing creative power and transforming into something more tangible. Touching on an anatomical theme, “12-01 (Jarvik)” showcases an elaborate drawing of a heart, with a kidney flung in for random flavor.

A more whimsical approach can be found in Colosi’s hallucinogenic pencil monster drawings, featuring grinning monsters and bizarre dream scenes. Highlights include an untitled work that shows an eerie depiction of a jack-in-the-box. Colosi stays within the simple medium of pencil on paper, spotlighting his impressive attention to shading and outlining.

Duran’s work waxes neurological, showcasing homemade brain diagrams created with carefully printed ink stains. “Cold Brains #2” presents a set of Rorschach blotches, some decorated with tiny photos of arms or legs, presumably illustrations of how the brain processes different actions and emotions. “I (c) U” is a simple, yet inscrutable three-paneled set of more ink splotches.

The culmination of the exhibit is “The Return of le Cadavre Exquis,” a collaborative mixed media effort. Each artist contributed to the work, unaware of what the others had done or planned to do. The end result takes the form of a woman shedding rainbow-colored tears.

With scientific, mathematical, and technological overtones, Science Friction offers a keenly diverse collection of different artists and unique styles, with a gloss of otherworldly appeal.

Science Friction runs through Nov. 23rd at the Dorsch Gallery, 151 NW 24th St., Miami. For more information, call 305-576-1278.

Jessica Misener can be reached at jessm02@yahoo.com

The college football season doesn't begin until the end of August, but that never stops media o ...

There were indications, even before Lonnie Walker IV was selected No. 18 by the San Antonio Spurs in ...

Add another player to the Miami Hurricanes' 2019 recruiting class. Defensive end Jahfari Harvey ...

From the onset, the Miami Hurricanes' plan was for the Carol Soffer football indoor practice fa ...

Gino DiMare on Tuesday stood in a spot that two men before him had crafted into a pinnacle of succes ...

At the University of Miami, employee recognition comes in many forms. ...

Community art project encourages the public to explore the vibrant downtown area of Coral Gables and ...

It appears that his third run for the presidency will be successful as he distances himself from the ...

The University of Miami volleyball program will host nine ACC home matches and the Sunshine State Ch ...

Walker picked 18th overall by San Antonio Spurs, Brown 42nd by Detroit Pistons. ...

Gino DiMare was introduced as the 10th head baseball coach in Canes' history. ...

The University of Miami women's golf team had three individuals selected to the 2018 Atlantic C ...

Haley Templeton is set to travel to Detroit, Mich., on Friday to train and compete with the U.S. Wom ...