Beloved UM art professor dies unexpectedly

Dr. Marion Jefferson, a professor and specialist in art education and Associate Chair of the department of art and art history, died unexpectedly on Oct. 24 at her home in South Miami. She was 65 years old.

“[Dr. Jefferson] looked out for the welfare of the students, fellow employees and the Art Department,” said Anne C. Lemos, Lecturer in Department of Art and Art History. “She was fair, gentle and kind to all who crossed her path. She knew the answer to any question, whether it was academic or administrative.”

“I’ll miss her presence – she was always there to help,” Lemos said. According to those close to her, Dr. Jefferson’s life was filled with accomplishments.

In 1972, she received a Ph.D. in Art Education from FSU and began teaching at the UM School of Education, where from 1976 to 1989 she served as the Coordinator of the Program in Art Education until she joined the Department of Art and Art History in the College of Arts and Sciences.

From 1995 until her death, she served as Associate Chair of the Department of Art and Art History, a job that involved graduate and undergraduate student advising on dissertations, undergraduate honors theses, MFA projects and scheduling. She also taught ART 307, ART 499 and ART 509.

According to many of her colleagues, it will take at least two people to do Dr. Jefferson’s job.

Dr. Jefferson received many awards for distinguished service to both UM and the local community, including four teaching awards during her tenure at UM.

She was also honored by Dade Art Educators, the Dade County Art Education Association, the United Teachers of Dade, the Florida Art Education Association and the National Art Education Association.

“The awards don’t really tell the whole story,” said Dr. Michael Carlebach, interim chair of the department. “Marion is, simply, irreplaceable – she was tireless, always cheerful, and believed deeply in the essential value of education in the arts.”

Dr. Jefferson is survived by her sons John P. Jefferson and Joel W. Jefferson and grandson Jay Jefferson.

“Charity always abounded in her life,” said Joel W. Jefferson.

A special service will be held in Dr. Jefferson’s honor on Tuesday, Nov. 5 at 3 p.m. in the Lowe Art Museum.

Condolences may be sent to the family in c/o Art & Art History Department, University of Miami, 1540 Levante, Coral Gables, FL 33124-2618; or contact Suzanne Nelson at 305-284-2543.

In lieu of flowers, donations in her memory may be made to the Art & Art History Department, Linda Scott, College of Arts & Science, University of Miami, P.O. Box 248004, Coral Gables, FL 33124-4620.

Jorge Arauz can be reached at

xxarauzxx@yahoo.com.

March is just around the corner; and University of Miami basketball coach Jim Larrañaga wants his pl ...

Erykah Davenport always hated being The Tall Girl. Every class picture, she was in the back row, tow ...

A little more than two years ago, Larry Scott was serving as the Miami Hurricanes’ interim head coac ...

The college basketball world woke up Friday morning to a bombshell report by Yahoo Sports detailing ...

A six-pack of Canes notes on a Thursday: ▪ Draft-eligible Canes players are getting increasing recog ...

Student a cappella group BisCaydence wins quarterfinals and advances to the next round in the intern ...

A closer look at the University of Miami's executive vice president for business and finance an ...

The popular Christian minister preached to more people than any other evangelist in history. ...

A vigil on the University of Miami campus, organized by UM students who graduated from Marjory Stone ...

The latest speaker in the popular lecture series at the Rosenstiel School, Jeff Goodell, shared insi ...

The Miami women's basketball team plays its last game of the 2017-18 regular season Sunday at 4 ...

Canes and Eagles play at 2 p.m. Saturday in key ACC matchup. ...

Continuing a season-opening, seven-game homestand, No. 24 Miami is looking for its second straight s ...

The Miami women's tennis team resumes play Saturday with its second match of the season at a ne ...

Check out the best images from Day 1 at the 2018 ACC Indoor Championships. ...