UM School of Communication hosts MPA Latin American Film Workshop and Competition

The 2002 Motion Picture Association [MPA] Feature Film Project Development Workshop and Competition was a five-day course for selected Latin American screenwriters to develop their film scripts under the guidance of established Spanish-speaking professors from Spain, Argentina, Mexico and the U.S.

The sponsors for this year’s event were the MPA Latin American Regional Office in Rio de Janiero, Brazil, the School of Communication at UM and the Miami-Dade County Office of Filmed Entertainment.

The event was held last week in the School of Communication on the UM campus.

“There is no better location for the workshop than the University of Miami, where professional programs taught in Spanish are already in place to serve communication and educational needs throughout the western hemisphere,” President Dr. Donna E. Shalala said.

The screenwriters came from Argentina, Bolivia, Chile, Colombia, Ecuador, Mexico, Peru, Puerto Rico, Uruguay, Venezuela and the U.S.

The professors involved in the event were Jorge Goldenberg, Vicente Lenero, Juan Manuel Chumilla Carajosa and Rafael Lima, a professor of the UM School of Communication.

Participants were selected and sponsored by the film industry agencies of their native governments.

They met with professors to improve their screenplays and to reach what organizers referred to as a “filmable quality.”

The participants were then entered into a competition that was in turn sent to co-sponsoring film and TV production companies.

“The future of film and entertainment in Miami-Dade is closely tied to the development of those industries in Latin America,” Mayor Alex Penalas said. “The MPA Film Workshop will help raise the profile of participating Latin American screenwriters and, at the same time, strengthen our relationship with these exciting new filmmakers.”

Winners of the competition were announced at a reception and awards ceremony held Oct. 25.

Kathleen Fordyce can be contacted at K4Dice@aol.com.

The University of Miami got off to a dream start, but could not hold on against No. 1 and defending ...

March is just around the corner; and University of Miami basketball coach Jim Larrañaga wants his pl ...

Erykah Davenport always hated being The Tall Girl. Every class picture, she was in the back row, tow ...

A little more than two years ago, Larry Scott was serving as the Miami Hurricanes’ interim head coac ...

The college basketball world woke up Friday morning to a bombshell report by Yahoo Sports detailing ...

Student a cappella group BisCaydence wins quarterfinals and advances to the next round in the intern ...

A closer look at the University of Miami's executive vice president for business and finance an ...

The popular Christian minister preached to more people than any other evangelist in history. ...

A vigil on the University of Miami campus, organized by UM students who graduated from Marjory Stone ...

The latest speaker in the popular lecture series at the Rosenstiel School, Jeff Goodell, shared insi ...

Kevin Arreaga's bronze medal in the men's weight throw led the Canes on Friday in Clemson. ...

No. 24 Miami got off to a dream start but could not hold on against No. 1 Florida Friday night, fall ...

The Hurricanes were momentarily slowed down by the first rain delay of the season, but held the Coug ...

The Miami women's basketball team plays its last game of the 2017-18 regular season Sunday at 4 ...

Canes and Eagles play at 2 p.m. Saturday in key ACC matchup. ...