Hurricane volleyball upset by Virginia Tech

The Virginia Tech volleyball team withstood a superior offensive performance by Hurricane outside hitter Valeria Tipiana (Lima, Peru/Cristo Rey Catholic HS) to upset Miami in three games Saturday night in Blacksburg, Va.

“We were just flat and we were never able to pull ourselves out of it,” Miami coach Nicole Lantagne Welch said. “Virginia Tech played like they wanted it more.

“We lost to a very good Virginia Tech team, but we didn’t play close to the level of volleyball that we’re capable of playing at.”

Tipiana led with a match high 18 kills and a .424 hitting percentage, while the Hokies relied on solid contributions from a number of different players including Ana Lang (15 kills), Ann Spicer (16 kills), and Cheryl Stinson (11 kills). Virginia Tech took the three matches by scores of 30-28, 30-24, 30-25.

Middle blocker Karla Johnson (Houston, Texas/Westfield HS) was second on the Hurricanes in offense with 11 kills and a match high .474 hitting percentage.

Libero player Jamie Grass (Manhattan Beach, Calif./Mira Costa HS) led the Hurricanes defensively with 13 digs, while setter Mallorey James (Tucson, Ariz./Salpointe Catholic HS) chipped in with 41 assists.

The Hurricanes will look to bounce back Tuesday night when they travel to Boca Raton to face Florida Atlantic in the Owls’ facility.

Information provided by the UM Sports Information Department

View photos from the Syracuse at Miam ibasketball game on Saturday, Feb. 17, 2018, in Coral Gables. ...

University of Miami basketball coach Jim Larrañaga took the opportunity after Saturday’s 62-55 loss ...

A bunch of Miami Hurricane youngsters — and one former Gator-turned-Cane — made the University of Mi ...

Arkansas State University followed through with its threat. ASU on Friday afternoon filed a lawsuit ...

A UM appeals committee has modified the athletic department’s rules restricting departing quarterbac ...

Members of the University of Miami first response teams remind us of resources available and what to ...

Mexican activist, poet and novelist Javier Sicilia deplored the violence stemming from the “drug war ...

From the North Pole to the South Pole and everywhere in between, the art of UM alumnus Xavier Cortad ...

A panel of University of Miami faculty talked about the impacts of climate change during a meeting o ...

Miami women's basketball notched an impressive 77-62 triumph Sunday at Virginia, giving head co ...

In singles play, the Hurricanes demonstrated strength at the top with both of their ranked players – ...

Hurricanes and Fighting Irish play at 7 p.m. Monday. ...

The No. 25-ranked University of Miami women's golf team opened competition Sunday at the 2018 A ...

CORAL GABLES, Fla. – No. 24 Miami raced out to an early lead but could not finish off a weekend swee ...