Hurricane volleyball upset by Virginia Tech

The Virginia Tech volleyball team withstood a superior offensive performance by Hurricane outside hitter Valeria Tipiana (Lima, Peru/Cristo Rey Catholic HS) to upset Miami in three games Saturday night in Blacksburg, Va.

“We were just flat and we were never able to pull ourselves out of it,” Miami coach Nicole Lantagne Welch said. “Virginia Tech played like they wanted it more.

“We lost to a very good Virginia Tech team, but we didn’t play close to the level of volleyball that we’re capable of playing at.”

Tipiana led with a match high 18 kills and a .424 hitting percentage, while the Hokies relied on solid contributions from a number of different players including Ana Lang (15 kills), Ann Spicer (16 kills), and Cheryl Stinson (11 kills). Virginia Tech took the three matches by scores of 30-28, 30-24, 30-25.

Middle blocker Karla Johnson (Houston, Texas/Westfield HS) was second on the Hurricanes in offense with 11 kills and a match high .474 hitting percentage.

Libero player Jamie Grass (Manhattan Beach, Calif./Mira Costa HS) led the Hurricanes defensively with 13 digs, while setter Mallorey James (Tucson, Ariz./Salpointe Catholic HS) chipped in with 41 assists.

The Hurricanes will look to bounce back Tuesday night when they travel to Boca Raton to face Florida Atlantic in the Owls’ facility.

Information provided by the UM Sports Information Department

Dewan Huell will be wearing green and orange for at least another year. Huell announced Saturday on ...

Their bats and gloves and baseball skills weren't enough Thursday night. Now, the Miami Hurrica ...

Florida State's recruiting trail hit Georgia last week, and while the #Tribe19 class is a focal ...

It's almost summer, time for college football players to wind down and chill out — every now an ...

Alumna and faculty member shares lessons and learning about racial identity in free parent community ...

Voters head to the polls in a historic election to choose the country’s next president. ...

From boathouse to marine research powerhouse, the Rosenstiel School of Marine and Atmospheric Scienc ...

The Canes wrapped up a stormy weekend at the NCAA East Preliminary with their final two qualifiers f ...

Miami native pulls name out of NBA Draft process. ...

Stormy weather in the Gulf of Mexico may have delayed Friday's competition, but wind and rain c ...

Last season, Miami Hurricanes fans created, quite simply, one of the best home-field advantages in c ...

University of Miami senior Christian Langmo and freshman Adria Soriano were edged by Florida's ...