Dorsey collects more UM records with huge game

It would be blatantly foolish to not mention Ken Dorsey as one of the best quarterbacks in University of Miami history. It is now time to decide if he is perhaps the best signal caller ever at UM.

On Saturday vs. West Virginia, Dorsey picked apart the Mountaineer defense for a career-high 422 yards passing and two touchdowns in the ‘Canes 40-23 victory. The outstanding performance by the senior quarterback put him atop the list in many UM quarterback records.

“Ken has been so steady and so good that you sometimes take him for granted as a football coach,” head coach Larry Coker said.

Dorsey, who already held the UM record for career touchdown passes with 76, surpassed three records previously held by UM quarterback and Heisman Trophy winner Gino Torretta (1989-02). Dorsey set the UM record for completions (564), yards passing (8,024) and total offense (7,981).

“Gino is going to want to kill me after today,” said Dorsey. “There’s not much he can say to me anymore.”

Dorsey’s solid performance on Saturday increased his chances at winning this year’s Heisman Trophy award. Two players in UM history have won the award – Vinny Testaverde (1986) and Torretta (1992).

After a somewhat poor statistical start to the season, Dorsey has improved his play mightily in the ‘Canes’ last two victories.

Dorsey tied his career-high with 362 yards passing and led the ‘Canes to a come from behind victory over FSU three weeks ago.

“From what you read, it’s always about why Kenny shouldn’t win the Heisman,” Coker said. “The perception is, anyone could do this. That’s not true at all.”

Top of the Hill

The Hurricanes found a new offensive weapon to add to their already lethal unit in redshirt freshman fullback Quadtrine Hill.

Hill set career highs with six receptions for 108 yards. Dorsey adjusted well to the Mountaineer blitz, finding Hill open numerous times.

Hill’s 42-yard reception in the third quarter set up a 11-yard Dorsey TD pass to Andre Johnson and a 23-yard Hill catch set up a fourth quarter Todd Sievers field goal. In addition, Hill intercepted a pass off a West Virginia fake punt in the first quarter.

“Everybody has a breakout game and I’d like to think this was his,” Dorsey said of Hill.

Rush “D” struggles again

For the second consecutive game, the Hurricanes failed to stop the opposition’s rushing attack.

The Mountaineer’s rushed for a total of 363 yards, led by Avon Cobourne’s 175 yards on the ground. Miami surrendered 296 yards rushing to the Seminoles.

West Virginia used the same formula as FSU did, rushing the ball 62 times against the Miami defense. The Mountaineer running game kept WVU in the game, as they only trailed by a touchdown after three quarters of play. Miami eventually pulled away in the final quarter, but the UM defensive woes must be addressed.

“We knew we had to stop the run,” Coker said. “We weren’t able to do that.”

So far, it seems that an opposing team can beat the Hurricanes if they rush the ball consistently, but also provide a balance with a passing game. Boston College, FSU and WVU were all able to run the ball against Miami, but could not get anything going in the passing front.

Miscellaneous

The UM victory was their 29th straight, tying the school record set between the 1990 and ’92 seasons.True freshman started Greg Threat started at safety in place of Maurice Sikes, who missed a team meeting last week.Roger McIntosh (10 tackles) made his second career start at strong side linebacker in place of Howard Clark.Dorsey is now second all-time in the Big East in career TD passes with 76 and in passing yards with 8,024. Both records are held by Syracuse’s Donovan McNabb (1995-98) who threw for 77 TD passes and 8,389 yards.

You can reach Brian Poliakoff at b.poliakoff@umiami.edu

Five years and two days after being fired as FIU’s football coach, at least one report declares form ...

USA Diving announced the recipients of its annual awards at a ceremony in conjunction with the 2017 ...