Campus Calendar n News Briefs Briefs

OCTOBER 29

Wanted: UM Students to try out for UM Idol. Sign up in the UC Breezeway from 11 a.m. – 3 p.m., today through Nov. 1.

Today begins Guns ‘N Violence Awareness Week, sponsored by LINK. For more information call 305-284-GIVE.

Austin Powers 3 will be playing at the Cosford Cinema at 8 and 10 p.m.

Gun Safety Workshop by Sergeant Raul Pedroso from 12:30 till 2 p.m. in UC Ballroom A.

Non-Violence Project Workshop from 4:30 till 6 p.m. in UC Ballroom D.

10-spot at the Rathskeller takes place from 10 – 11 p.m.

OCTOBER 30

Domestic Violence March at 12 p.m. in Bayfront Park in Downtown Miami; meet at the Rock at 11:20 p.m. Email link0203@hotmail.com for more information.

Self-Defense “Safe” workshop from 2:30 till 3:45 p.m. in UC Ballroom B. Space is limited; sign up by email: link0203@hotmail.com

Sexual Assault Response Team workshop from 6 till 8 p.m. in Mahoney Residential College in Dr. Moore’s Apartment.

Looking for adventure, international work, travel and a challenge? Come learn about the Peace Corps, in an information session and video presentation, from 12 – 1 p.m. in UC 233. For more information contact Erin Seiler at 305-284-5398.

The Adrian Empire is having a mini-fair on the Rock. This “Samhain Festival” will begin at 8 p.m. There will be food, combat demonstrations, arts and crafts, games, music and other entertainment.

You’re invited to attend an exclusive press conference and briefing with Ra’anan Gissin, Senior Advisor to the Prime Minister of the State of Israel, at 7 p.m. in the Storer Auditorium. For more information please contact caravan@jnf.org or visit caravanfordemocracy.org. Following the speech there will be a question and answer session open to all students.

The Organization for Jamaican Unity will be having a cultural food sale from m11 a.m. to 3 p.m. in the UC Patio

OCTOBER 31

Haunted House for the kids at Community Partnership for the Homeless from 4:45 till 8:15 p.m. Meet at the Rock at 4:30 p.m. and bring a costume.

Youth Crime Watch Program sponsored by LINK, from 12 till 2 p.m. in UC Ballroom A. Free lunch will be served.

NOVEMBER 1

Hate Crimes Education campaign sponsored by GLBC; pass by the Rock.

Join the Wellness Center between 9 and 11 p.m. for Point Break presented by Hurricane Productions. Watch the movie while swimming in the pool and drinking mocktails, courtesy of PIER 21: Center for Alcohol and Other Drug Education. For more information, contact 305-284-6524.

The Solutions Interdisciplinary Forum and the Honors Program will be hosting a book discussion with Dr. Benjamin D. Webb about Hesse’s Siddartha from 5 – 7 p.m. in Pearson Residential College Rm. 137.

NOVEMBER 5

FEC will be selling “pan con lechon” at the UC breezeway from 11:30 a.m. to 1 p.m. Sandwiches will be sold for only three dollars. Call extension 6290 for more information.

Eight Legged Freaks will be playing at the Cosford Cinema at 8 and 10 p.m.

NOVEMBER 6

Hurricane Productions will show a sneak preview of 8 mile starring Eminem at 9 p.m. at the Cosford Cinema. Passes are available in UC 206.

NOVEMBER 8

Want to work and study at the Cannes International Film Festival or learn the Hollywood terrain one on one? Be part of the American Pavilion/Kodak Student Filmmaker Program or The American Pavilion’s L.A. Intensive Program. For more information please come to the meeting at 11 a.m. in Wolfson Studio 1008A. Representatives from The American Pavilion will be discussing student programs and answering questions. You may also visit the web site at www.ampav.com then link to Student Program or L.A. Intensive.

NOVEMBER 11

It’s almost time for academic advising for the spring semester. Undergraduates should make appointments to see their faculty advisors Nov. 4 through 15. Even if you use the EASY system, you should consult an academic advisor. Registration for the Spring semester will begin on Nov. 11. Courses for spring 2003 are already listed on the EASY system, so you don’t have to wait for the printed books to come out.

Feel free to come by the Rock the Week of Oct. 28 to add your thoughts to the “Express Yourself” wall as part of Guns ‘N Violence Awareness week.

Soccer leagues are available. To sign up, stop by the Wellness Center. Call Jason at 284-8518 for more information.

Rape Aggression Defense (R.A.D.) classes are available from Public Safety. Contact the Crime Prevention Coordinator at 284-6666 for more information.

For approximately 3 weeks, a portion of Dickinson Drive will be closed between 8 a.m. and 4 p.m., Monday – Friday, for construction work. Police will be routing the traffic through the Wellness Center parking lot. Dickinson Drive will be open as usual during all other hours. If you have any questions, contact Jose H. Becerra at 284-6860.

The Humanities Colloquium is pleased to present Dr. Amitava Kumar, Associate Professor of English Literature at Penn State University, at 3:30 p.m. on Tuesday, October 29, 2002 in UC Flamingo Ballroom B.
Dr. Kumar was born in Ara, Bihar, and grew up in the nearby town of Patna, famous for its corruption, crushing poverty and delicious mangoes.
The script-writer and narrator of the prize-winning documentary, Pure Chutney (1997), he is the author of Passport Photos and Bombay-London-New York. Passport Photos was the winner of an “Outstanding Book of the Year” Award from the Myers Program for the Study of Bigotry and Human Rights in North America.
He has been awarded a Barach Fellowship at the Wesleyan Writers Festival, and two awards from the South Asian Journalists Association.
His short-story “The Monkey’s Suicide” was chosen by Khushwant Singh as the best short story of the year for the Asian Age Award. His new short story “Indian Restaurant” has been published in Civil Lines 5.
His most recent award was the Daniel Pearl Award for Outstanding Story on South Asia.

Part four of a five-part series on UM’s defense with the start of fall camp a month away: Cornerback ...

University of Miami head football coach Mark Richt was among the 20 coaches selected to the preseaso ...

Miami opens the Wooden Legacy against La Salle on Thanksgiving Day in Fullerton, Calif. ...