There’s more to do than parties & Cancun

For some students, this year’s spring break means more than just a week lounging at home or on the beach. The participants in the Alternative Spring Break program will be hitting sites throughout the U.S. in hopes of serving others and educating themselves about important social issues.

“This program allows students to travel across the country and work with a specific topic in community service,” said Minal Ahson, Alternative Spring Break publicity chair. “It’s really a week to immerse yourself in service.”

The program will take place during spring break from March 8-16 and includes sites involving domestic violence, HIV and AIDS, animal rights, environmental issues, youth violence and children’s issues.

The actual locations have yet to be disclosed, but cities visited last year included Providence, R.I., Washington, D.C., Philadelphia, PA and Turtle Cove, LA.

Jesse Hanson, a site leader for the upcoming year, got involved two years ago for a change of pace. Hanson worked with youth violence in the 2001 program and was leader of the welfare rights site last year.

“I just wanted to do something more important during break,” Hanson said. “I wanted to get something done instead of just laying on the beach for a week.”

According to program chair Danielle Miller, Alternative Spring Break offers students another option for their week off.

“The goal is to take students on a trip that totally immerses them in a particular topic. Hopefully, it will foster growth in them and make them more active citizens,” she said. “They don’t just work for a week; they really become more educated.”

Miller has participated in the program four times, twice with domestic violence in the National Indian Reserve and twice in Detroit with the issues of youth violence and urban renewal.

“I could give a million and one reasons why this is a great program,” Miller said. “The reason that I love Alternative Break is that it has helped me be a better person and leader. It taught me a lot about my own strengths and weaknesses and helped erase a lot of the stereotypes that I already had.”

“This is definitely an experience that changes your life,” Andrea Sauerteig, a member of the executive board, said.

Applications for the spring 2003 program are available in the Volunteer Service Center in UC 240. They are due today.

Cost for participation is around $250 for the week, which includes the student’s flight to the site, accommodations and food. Volunteers must pay their own way.

For more information about Alternative Spring Break, call the Volunteer Service Center at 305-284-GIVE or visit the program’s website at www.miami.edu/UMAlternativeBreaks/UMAB.htm.

The college football season doesn't begin until the end of August, but that never stops media o ...

There were indications, even before Lonnie Walker IV was selected No. 18 by the San Antonio Spurs in ...

Add another player to the Miami Hurricanes' 2019 recruiting class. Defensive end Jahfari Harvey ...

From the onset, the Miami Hurricanes' plan was for the Carol Soffer football indoor practice fa ...

Gino DiMare on Tuesday stood in a spot that two men before him had crafted into a pinnacle of succes ...

At the University of Miami, employee recognition comes in many forms. ...

Community art project encourages the public to explore the vibrant downtown area of Coral Gables and ...

It appears that his third run for the presidency will be successful as he distances himself from the ...

The University of Miami volleyball program will host nine ACC home matches and the Sunshine State Ch ...

Walker picked 18th overall by San Antonio Spurs, Brown 42nd by Detroit Pistons. ...

Gino DiMare was introduced as the 10th head baseball coach in Canes' history. ...

The University of Miami women's golf team had three individuals selected to the 2018 Atlantic C ...

Haley Templeton is set to travel to Detroit, Mich., on Friday to train and compete with the U.S. Wom ...