UM cross country victorious

Miami runners Matt Mulvaney (South Hadley, MA), Dan Boniface (Seattle, WA) and Alex Brutvan (Boca Raton, FL/Pope John Paul II) finished 1-2-3 respectively to lead the University of Miami men’s cross country team to victories over Florida International and Florida Memorial in a three-way dual meet Saturday morning on the UM campus.

Miami, ranked eighth in the South Region by the USCCCA, defeated FIU 19-39 and Florida Memorial 15-46. FIU defeated Florida Memorial 15-56.

Mulvaney, a junior, was the Hurricanes top finisher for the third consecutive race finishing first overall with a time of 25:01. Boniface, a senior, was second (25:13) while Brutvan, a freshman, was third (25:37).

The Hurricanes took five of the top seven spots overall with freshman James Mullaly (Ellicott City, MD) finishing sixth (26:48) and sophomore Bill Bludgus (Bayonne, NJ) finishing seventh (27:07).

For the UM women’s team, Miami sophomore Marilyn Ruiz (Ft. Lauderdale, FL/St. Thomas Aquinas) won her first meet of the season to lead the Hurricanes women’s cross country team to wins over Florida International and Florida Memorial at a three-way dual meet in Coral Gables, FL.

Ruiz, who was UM’s top finisher for the second time in three meets this season, completed the 5,000-meter course in a season-best time of 19:27. Senior Saraque Whittaker (Ft. Lauderdale, FL/St. Thomas Aquinas) finished second with a time of 19:59.

Miami defeated Florida International by a score of 18-49, and Florida Memorial by a score of 15-49. Florida International edged Florida Memorial, 26-30.

Miami had seven runners finish in the top-10 overall including senior Patricia Pearson (Jacksonville, FL) who finished fourth (20:43), senior Megan Dwyer (Havertown, MA) who finished sixth (20:52) and senior Terria Madison (Columbus, GA) who took seventh (20:54).

Freshman Melanie Schultz was eighth (20:59) while junior Christian Delgadillo rounded out the top-10 with a time of 21:19.

Saturday morning’s meet marked the final tune-up for the Hurricanes prior to the BIG EAST Championships, November 1, in Boston, MA.

Information provided by the UM Sports Information Department.

The question came straight at Ahmmon Richards, like a tight spiral. And this time, he didn’t hesitat ...

1. DOLPHINS: Miami seeks revenge vs. hated, Stinkin' Jets: Dolphins host Jets Sunday with Miami ...

Notes and observations on UM’s 27-19 win against Syracuse: • A UM source said Mark Richt seemed more ...

View photos from the Syracuse at Miami game Saturday, Oct. 21, 2017, at Hard Rock Stadium in Miami G ...

The Miami women's tennis team split its eight matches on its second day of competition at the I ...

Syracuse visits Miami on Saturday, October 21st at Hard Rock Stadium. ...