UM cross country victorious

Miami runners Matt Mulvaney (South Hadley, MA), Dan Boniface (Seattle, WA) and Alex Brutvan (Boca Raton, FL/Pope John Paul II) finished 1-2-3 respectively to lead the University of Miami men’s cross country team to victories over Florida International and Florida Memorial in a three-way dual meet Saturday morning on the UM campus.

Miami, ranked eighth in the South Region by the USCCCA, defeated FIU 19-39 and Florida Memorial 15-46. FIU defeated Florida Memorial 15-56.

Mulvaney, a junior, was the Hurricanes top finisher for the third consecutive race finishing first overall with a time of 25:01. Boniface, a senior, was second (25:13) while Brutvan, a freshman, was third (25:37).

The Hurricanes took five of the top seven spots overall with freshman James Mullaly (Ellicott City, MD) finishing sixth (26:48) and sophomore Bill Bludgus (Bayonne, NJ) finishing seventh (27:07).

For the UM women’s team, Miami sophomore Marilyn Ruiz (Ft. Lauderdale, FL/St. Thomas Aquinas) won her first meet of the season to lead the Hurricanes women’s cross country team to wins over Florida International and Florida Memorial at a three-way dual meet in Coral Gables, FL.

Ruiz, who was UM’s top finisher for the second time in three meets this season, completed the 5,000-meter course in a season-best time of 19:27. Senior Saraque Whittaker (Ft. Lauderdale, FL/St. Thomas Aquinas) finished second with a time of 19:59.

Miami defeated Florida International by a score of 18-49, and Florida Memorial by a score of 15-49. Florida International edged Florida Memorial, 26-30.

Miami had seven runners finish in the top-10 overall including senior Patricia Pearson (Jacksonville, FL) who finished fourth (20:43), senior Megan Dwyer (Havertown, MA) who finished sixth (20:52) and senior Terria Madison (Columbus, GA) who took seventh (20:54).

Freshman Melanie Schultz was eighth (20:59) while junior Christian Delgadillo rounded out the top-10 with a time of 21:19.

Saturday morning’s meet marked the final tune-up for the Hurricanes prior to the BIG EAST Championships, November 1, in Boston, MA.

Information provided by the UM Sports Information Department.

This time, there was no miracle Miami win over Duke. The fifth-ranked Blue Devils rallied from a 13- ...

It was obvious before tipoff that the University of Miami game against No. 5 Duke was no ordinary Hu ...

Miami Hurricanes backup quarterback Evan Shirreffs announced Monday on Twitter that he will transfer ...

Here’s one of the many neat things about the UM football program, a tradition that has carried on fo ...

Clemson coach Brad Brownell had a simple plan at the only practice before facing No. 18 Miami — don ...

Dr. Martin Luther King Jr.’s vision for a “Beloved Community” has inspired a number of University of ...

UM launches three cyber security certificate programs to equip professionals for the growing employm ...

The second annual Big Data Conference and Workshop hosted by UM Center for Computational Science enc ...

Now in its 67th year, the Beaux Arts Festival will move to the Foote University Green. ...

UMIAMIFL also outperformed two key S&P benchmarks by more than nine percent. ...

Lonnie Walker IV scored 19 points, but it wasn't enough as the Canes fell to the Blue Devils at ...

The University of Miami women's basketball team took down Clemson behind a career-high 19 point ...

The University of Miami announced Monday that it has relieved Mary-Frances Monroe of her duties as h ...

As the University of Miami heads into 2018, check out the latest edition of Hurricane Magazine. ...

Hurricanes and Blue Devils square off at 7 p.m. Monday. ...