Sexual Assault: A Fact Sheet

Wellness Center (305) 284-6524
Counseling Center (305) 284-5511
Student Health Center (305) 284-5927
SART (305) 789-6666
Jackson Memorial Rape Treatment Center (305) 583-RAPE (7273)

Every two minutes, somewhere in America, someone is sexually assaulted.

College students are in one of the most vulnerable age groups for sexual assault.

In nine of 10 sexual assault cases, the victim knew the perpetrator.

About four of 10 sexual assaults occur at the victim’s own home.

Two in 10 sexual assaults occur in the home of a friend, neighbor or relative.

One in 10 sexual assaults occur outside, away from home.

About one in 12 sexual assaults occur in a parking garage.

One out of six American women has been victimized by a completed or attempted rape in her lifetime.

Victims of sexual assault often demonstrate self-destructive behaviors such as development of eating disorders, abuse of alcohol and/or drugs, chronic depression and attempted suicide.

Approximately 75% of male college students and 55% of female students involved with acquaintance rape and sexual assault had been drinking at the time.

On a national basis, the probability of a female college student being sexually assaulted over four years is approximately 25%.

Most but not all sexual assaults are perpetrated by men against women.

Rape is often referred to as “the most underreported violent crime in America.” According to the 1999 National Crime Victimization Survey, only 28% of rapes and sexual assaults were reported to law enforcement officials-fewer than one in every three.

Former NFL and University of Miami star Kellen Winslow Jr. was arrested Thursday for numerous allege ...

Trevor Darling's perseverance paid off. After not being selected in the NFL Draft, the former U ...

Father's Day has never been a big holiday in the Larranaga household because basketball always ...

The start to former Miami Hurricanes defensive end Chad Thomas' NFL career is going through a m ...

At one section of Miami's Richmond Park, Hurricanes offensive line coach Stacy Searels taught a ...

Colder Atlantic temperatures could change hurricane season forecasts, but the trend isn't expec ...

UM neurorehabilitation expert David S. Kushner, M.D., who helps modern patients recover from brain s ...

UM News interviewed a Miami Business School professor to learn more about claims that the changes co ...

An outstanding showing at the USATF Championships earned Symone Mason a trip to the World U20 Champi ...

The University of Miami track and field program got off to a strong start at the 2018 USATF Junior O ...

Amy Deem was recognized for the third time as the ACC Women's Outdoor Track and Field Coach of ...

Symone Mason, Tiara McMinn and Hasani Knight will be in the field of competitors at the 2018 USATF J ...

During the 2017-18 school year, Miami had student-athletes from 17 of the 32 countries in the FIFA W ...