Miami soccer defeated in double overtime

On Friday, the Hurricanes fell in double overtime, 6-5, against cross-divisional opponent Rutgers, Friday, Oct. 18 in Piscataway, NJ. Sophomore forward Britney Butcher opened the game scoring two goals at the 21st and 44th minute of play, giving the Hurricanes a 2-0-halftime lead. Junior forward Vonda Matthews and freshman forward Lindsey Yach were awarded assists on Butcher’s second goal.

However, just over a minute into the second half, Carli Lloyd blasted a free kick past goalkeeper Rachel Elsby cutting Miami’s lead 2-1. Rutgers’ Adrienne Dugandzic tied the game 2-2 at the 50:20 mark, knocking in the equalizer on Lloyd’s cross into the penalty box.

The Hurricanes would retake the lead answering with three consecutive goals in the second half. Senior midfielder Mary Luke beat goalkeeper Christine Caldwell at the 62nd minute of play to give the Hurricanes a 3-2 lead. Miami would take a 5-2 advantage on Matthews’ back-to-back goals, including a blast from 25 yards out and a penalty kick.

However, the Scarlet Knights would make a comeback, scoring three goals in the later stages of the second half to send the game into overtime. Lloyd connected on a pass from Dugandzic at the 76:33 mark to cut the lead, 5-3. Two minutes later Danae Risoli redirected a pass from Dugandzic to the right side, giving the Hurricanes only a one goal lead. Shaban Ashley re-tied the game at 5-5 in the 83rd minute of play on assists from Dugandzic and Risoli.

After a scoreless first overtime period, Rutgers’ Shaban Ashley headed a cross from Risoli into the right side, scoring her second goal of the game and clinching the victory for Rutgers, 6-5. Miami tallied 10 shots, while Rutgers amassed 21. Additionally, Miami was held without a shot in both overtime periods, while Rutgers recorded two in each overtime period.

The Hurricanes were slated to take on Georgetown Sunday afternoon in Washington D.C. However, that game was postponed to a later date. Miami’s record now stands at 9-6-1 with three games remaining before the Big East Tournament.

-Compiled by the Sports Information Department

RJ McIntosh grew up loving the University of Miami. So did Mark Walton. After all, both are from Sou ...

They have made their lists and checked them (at least) twice. And now, the final NFL draft boards fr ...

Remember Trent Harris, the Miami Hurricanes' sack leader everyone respected and raved about, th ...

The Hurricanes wrapped up spring with a big, as in 6-5 and 290 pounds, surprise on Saturday. Four-st ...

Spring ended Saturday for the Miami Hurricanes, with hundreds of UM football alumni and family membe ...

University of Miami graduates will hear from a group of extraordinary leaders during this year’s com ...

Cross-curricular performances by Frost School of Music students and faculty increase community aware ...

High-tech space helmet technology, a lifelike infant simulator and 3D printing are featured at the U ...

The Rosenstiel School of Marine and Atmospheric Science and NOAA have worked together for more than ...

The Energy and Conservation Organization was recognized with the 2018 Roberta “Bosey” Fulbright Foot ...

Hurricanes will compete in Austin Regional May 7-9. ...

The University of Miami men's tennis team will seek its second postseason win in as many years ...

The University of Miami baseball team looks to close out a five-game homestand on a high note Wed., ...

The Miami women's tennis team moved up two places to No. 15 in this week's Oracle/ITA rank ...

The University of Miami men's tennis team checks in at No. 39 in the Oracle/ITA rankings Tuesda ...