I Am the World Trade Center: The “80s high school prom” you never attended

By the time I Am the World Trade Center took the stage at Revolver late Friday night/early Saturday morning, it was obvious that the sizable crowd was ready let the dance party begin.

Appealing to punk rockers and computer nerds alike, the duo of Dan Geller and Amy Dykes danced their way through a 40-minute set of New Wave-influenced music, making everyone feel like they were at an 80s high school prom that they never wanted to leave.

While the live show consisted of a bare keyboard, a mixer (played and operated by Dan Geller), and the vocals of Amy Dykes, the band successfully created an atmosphere that conducted as much energy as any rock band.

In fact, Dan Geller dreamt up the idea of I am the World Trade Center in the late 1990s as a solo project, but ultimately decided to add vocals in order to spice up live performances.

” In my head I had this vision of me on the stage with my laptop, and one day I thought ‘that would be really boring to watch. The vocals are something people can connect to with their heart, as well as with their head,” he said.

“What really happened is Dan was originally writing songs as instrumentals, and he had one song that had me singing on it, and everyone liked that song better,” Dykes counters.

Either way, both members agree that composing songs on laptop computers and performing them on a keyboard and a mixer makes their lives more organized and technologically savvy.

“I was just recently on tour with my other band and I wrote two songs in the car,” Geller said. ” And because writing is the same as recording, once a song is done, it is done.”

With the band’s creation coming prior to Sept. 11, 2001, their name’s recent taboo has unavoidably played a huge role in their existence in the past year. The two originally chose the name because the towers symbolized their romantic and professional relationship, which allowed them to exist as two separate entities, but also as one bonded unit. The band decided to shorten their name to I am the World until the conclusion of 2001.

“We kind of did that as a show of respect, like flying the flag at half mast,” Geller said. “We never really had an intention of changing it for good though.”

“We talked about it, and we would write down names, but it is kind of like changing your kid’s name,” added Dykes.

While there is no avoiding the initial second glance at the band’s name, with music reminiscent of New Order and song titles such as “Pretty Baby” and “Dancing Alone,” it is clear that there are no political motives involved.

By the time I Am the World Trade Center announced their last song, the stage was filled with dancing tambourine players and strips of confetti raced through the air. The dance party was clearly in full effect, and by its end the duo had rocked out hard enough to give their computers hangovers.

For more info visit www.kindercore.com.

Turner Sparks can be reached at turnersparx@hotmail.com.

Former NFL and University of Miami star Kellen Winslow Jr. was arrested Thursday for numerous allege ...

Trevor Darling's perseverance paid off. After not being selected in the NFL Draft, the former U ...

Father's Day has never been a big holiday in the Larranaga household because basketball always ...

The start to former Miami Hurricanes defensive end Chad Thomas' NFL career is going through a m ...

At one section of Miami's Richmond Park, Hurricanes offensive line coach Stacy Searels taught a ...

Colder Atlantic temperatures could change hurricane season forecasts, but the trend isn't expec ...

UM neurorehabilitation expert David S. Kushner, M.D., who helps modern patients recover from brain s ...

Gino DiMare was officially introduced as the 10th head baseball coach in program history Tuesday in ...

Jaquan Johnson was named to Athlon Sports' Preseason All-America First Team, while Shaq Quarter ...

An outstanding showing at the USATF Championships earned Symone Mason a trip to the World U20 Champi ...

UM alum returns to lead Canes' MBB strength and conditioning efforts. ...

Amy Deem was recognized for the third time as the ACC Women's Outdoor Track and Field Coach of ...