I Am the World Trade Center: The “80s high school prom” you never attended

By the time I Am the World Trade Center took the stage at Revolver late Friday night/early Saturday morning, it was obvious that the sizable crowd was ready let the dance party begin.

Appealing to punk rockers and computer nerds alike, the duo of Dan Geller and Amy Dykes danced their way through a 40-minute set of New Wave-influenced music, making everyone feel like they were at an 80s high school prom that they never wanted to leave.

While the live show consisted of a bare keyboard, a mixer (played and operated by Dan Geller), and the vocals of Amy Dykes, the band successfully created an atmosphere that conducted as much energy as any rock band.

In fact, Dan Geller dreamt up the idea of I am the World Trade Center in the late 1990s as a solo project, but ultimately decided to add vocals in order to spice up live performances.

” In my head I had this vision of me on the stage with my laptop, and one day I thought ‘that would be really boring to watch. The vocals are something people can connect to with their heart, as well as with their head,” he said.

“What really happened is Dan was originally writing songs as instrumentals, and he had one song that had me singing on it, and everyone liked that song better,” Dykes counters.

Either way, both members agree that composing songs on laptop computers and performing them on a keyboard and a mixer makes their lives more organized and technologically savvy.

“I was just recently on tour with my other band and I wrote two songs in the car,” Geller said. ” And because writing is the same as recording, once a song is done, it is done.”

With the band’s creation coming prior to Sept. 11, 2001, their name’s recent taboo has unavoidably played a huge role in their existence in the past year. The two originally chose the name because the towers symbolized their romantic and professional relationship, which allowed them to exist as two separate entities, but also as one bonded unit. The band decided to shorten their name to I am the World until the conclusion of 2001.

“We kind of did that as a show of respect, like flying the flag at half mast,” Geller said. “We never really had an intention of changing it for good though.”

“We talked about it, and we would write down names, but it is kind of like changing your kid’s name,” added Dykes.

While there is no avoiding the initial second glance at the band’s name, with music reminiscent of New Order and song titles such as “Pretty Baby” and “Dancing Alone,” it is clear that there are no political motives involved.

By the time I Am the World Trade Center announced their last song, the stage was filled with dancing tambourine players and strips of confetti raced through the air. The dance party was clearly in full effect, and by its end the duo had rocked out hard enough to give their computers hangovers.

For more info visit www.kindercore.com.

Turner Sparks can be reached at turnersparx@hotmail.com.

Hurricanes fans, get out your pencils, calendars and a list of your favorite hotels. The Atlantic Co ...

Three former Miami Hurricanes — defensive lineman Chad Thomas, offensive lineman KC McDermott and de ...

In all technicality, the Orange Bowl is a postseason, neutral-site bowl game that includes a top tea ...

When it comes to recruiting, the scariest sentence for Miami Hurricanes fans is this one: Nesta Silv ...

This time, there was no miracle Miami win over Duke. The fifth-ranked Blue Devils rallied from a 13- ...

The Beaux Arts Festival of Art debuts at a new site with picture-perfect weather and a panoply of or ...

Dr. Martin Luther King Jr.’s vision for a “Beloved Community” has inspired a number of University of ...

UM launches three cyber security certificate programs to equip professionals for the growing employm ...

The University of Miami released its 2018 football schedule Wednesday, highlighted by a nationally t ...

Notes from Miami's 2018 Football schedule. ...

Freshman jumper Hasani Knight was named ACC Men's Field Performer of the Week. ...

MIami volleyball signee Chloe Brown was named the 2017-18 Gatorade Oregon Volleyball Player of the Y ...

The University of Miami women's basketball team will play the first of two home games in a 31-d ...