Campus Calendar and News Briefs Briefs

Ten Spot at the Rat, 10 – 11 p.m. Join students at the Rat for Casino Night and catch MTV’s Real World Las Vegas.

The Women’s Resource Center presents the annual Clothesline Project at the Rock from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. in honor of Domestic Violence Month. The project facilitates the healing process for people who have lost a loved one or are survivors of violence.

The Wesley Foundation introduces its “Last Lectures” series for the fall semester. Guest speaker Steven Clark, director of Multicultural Student Affairs, will answer the question, “If this were your last lecture, what would you tell us?” The series’ purpose is to give students a chance to get to know professors and staff members outside of the classroom and university environment. The series will begin at 7 p.m. at 1210 Stanford Drive, across from Mahoney/Pearson.
The Miami Project to Cure Paralysis and the School of Medicine invite the University community to attend the Gail F. Beach Memorial 2002-2003 Visiting Lectureship Series. The first lecture in this series, “Methylprednisolone for Acute Spinal Cord Injury: Taking Down a Standard of Care,” is at 12 p.m. at the Lois Pope LIFE Center Apex Center, 7th Floor, on the Medical Campus. The lecture will feature R. John Hurlbert, M.D., chief of spine surgery at the University of Calgary in Alberta, Canada. Dr. Hurlbert has conducted multiple prospective clinical trials in the field of spinal surgery. Call 305-243-7108 or visit

UM Architecture Professor Samina Quareshi will lecture on The Living Traditions of Coconut Grove exhibit on display at the Lowe Art Museum from 6:30 – 8:30 p.m. Quareshi is the Henry R. Luce Professor in Family and Community and founder of INUSE, UM’s Initiative for Urban and Social Ecology, which oversees the interdisciplinary initiative involving many areas of UM concentrated in the West Coconut Grove area. This initiative is the subject of the multimedia exhibit on display at the Lowe until November 3. The lecture is free and open to the public. Call 305-284-3438 for more information.

Do you play an instrument, tell jokes or write poetry? If yes, participate, or be entertained at Open Mic Night in the Storm Surge Cafe, 8 – 10 p.m. in the UC.

Today there is a Rally against U.S. War in Iraq for the Day of the National March of Protest in Washington, D.C., San Francisco and other cities around the U.S. The rally is from 2 – 5 p.m. at the Torch of Friendship in Downtown Miami at Biscayne Boulevard and NE 3rd Street. Speakers will include clergy, community leaders and activists opposed to the US War in Iraq. The rally is sponsored by the Concerned People Opposed to War in Iraq and the Miami Coalition Against the War. For e-flyers or info, contact or 305-544-0303.

The Department of Multicultural Student Affairs will offer a free practice test for the MCAT, LSAT, GRE or GMAT. RSVP by calling 800-2Review.

Warm Water is showing at the Cosford Cinema at 5:30 p.m. Japan’s everyman Koji Yakusho stars as Yosuke, a recently laid-off businessman whose personal life is in shambles. Following the advice of a homeless wanderer, he heads to a small fishing town in search of a Golden Buddha Statue, but instead he finds romance with a mysterious kleptomaniac whose orgasmic “water” has the power to make flowers bloom out of season and to draw fish out of the sea.

QuantUM Entertainment will present the Rocky Horror Show at the Hillel Center. Call 786-262-3779 or visit for ticket information.

Looking for adventure, international work, travel and a challenge? Come learn about the Peace Corps in an information session and video presentation, from 12 – 1 p.m. in UC 233. For more information contact Erin Seiler at 305-284-5398.

Want to work and study at the Cannes Int’l Film Festival or learn the Hollywood terrain one-on-one? Be part of The American Pavilion/Kodak Student Filmmaker Program or The American Pavilion’s L.A. Intensive Program. For information come to the meeting at 11 a.m. in Wolfson Studio 1008A. Representatives from The American Pavilion will discuss student programs and answer questions. You may also visit the web site at, then link to Student Program or L.A. Intensive.

The U. S. Department of Education will soon mail Personal Identification Numbers (PINs) to you and your parents to complete the FAFSA online. This PIN is used to sign the FAFSA electronically, so be sure to keep it confidential. Make sure you have updated your contact information with the government so they can send your PIN. You can update it at Your parents can also sign the FASFA electronically by requesting a PIN at It will take 7-10 days to arrive by mail. If you plan to apply for a Parent Loan for Undergraduate Students (PLUS) you must file a FAFSA as part of the application process, even if you have had a PLUS in previous years. Students who want to be considered for need-based aid MUST submit the FAFSA every year. The preferred date for submission is March 1 for students. The University’s federal school code is 001536.

Protests marking the start of a national day of action against ExxonMobil by environmental, human rights and pro-democracy groups began Oct. 19 with the shutdown of a Mobil gas station in Beverly Hills and an Exxon station in Manhattan. Peaceful protesters chained themselves to gas pumps and dropped a banner that read, “Stop Global Warming, Don’t Buy ExxonMobil.” Greenpeace documented ExxonMobil’s efforts to prevent action on global warming in a report, “Denial and Deception: A Chronicle of ExxonMobil’s Corruption of the Global Warming Debate.” Despite appeals from Greenpeace and others, ExxonMobil has refused to change its policy. The company is using its sizable resources to support top politicians, like President Bush, to stifle U.S. action on global warming. See the report at

Alternative Spring Break offers students the opportunity to make a week last a lifetime. Applications are available in UC 240. Help with issues such as HIV/AIDS, animal rights, domestic violence and youth issues. For more information call 305-284-GIVE. Applications are due Oct. 25.

CANEzine is a Web-based magazine that will feature non-fiction and creative writing by UM undergraduates. Faculty members are urged to encourage their students to submit exemplary nonfiction writing. The magazine will be produced in the 2003 spring term by students taking English 306, an Advanced Composition course. Nonfiction submissions should be sent to Gina Maranto (creative writing samples will be selected separately from English 209 sections). For further information, call Gina Maranto at 305-284-5436 or Margaret Marshall at 305-284-3090.

UM mascot Sebastian the Ibis needs your vote for Capital One’s All American Mascot Challenge. Make Sebastian the National Mascot of the Year. Visit to vote.

Sophomore Bruce Brown announced Thursday that he has declared for the 2018 NBA Draft, the University ...

Lots of Hurricanes notes on a Wednesday, with the second spring practice session set for Thursday mo ...

The battle for the University of Miami quarterback job began in earnest with the start of spring pra ...

A six-pack of UM notes from the first day of spring football on Tuesday: • UM’s first-team offensive ...

UM spring practice begins Tuesday with heavy focus on the quarterback, with N’Kosi Perry and Jarren ...

The Kislak Center opens, aims to advance new forms of scholarship and build bridges across the Unive ...

Novelist Jennine Capó Crucet’s Miami-spiced book talk spotlighted the One Book, One U initiative. ...

As part of the “It’s On Us” initiative, the former vice president urged the UM community to help com ...

Haitian-born Henri Ford’s incredible journey to the deanship of the Miller School of Medicine. ...

Keeping a 30-year tradition, graduate students organize a fun-filled Hurricane Challenge for youngst ...

The University of Miami men's tennis team will seek to continue its perfect record at home Frid ...

Amy Deem and the Hurricanes will travel to Los Angeles to compete at the Power 5 Trail Blazer Challe ...

The University of Miami baseball program will host its third annual 'Bark in the Park' gam ...

Miami sophomore guard declares for NBA Draft but will not hire agent. ...

In search of its fourth series win of the spring, the Miami Hurricanes host No. 24 Virginia from Mar ...