UM Volleyball sweeps weekend

The University of Miami volleyball team (17-1, 5-1 in Big East Conference play) took its second straight conference victory Sunday at the Knight Sports Complex, defeating Seton Hall (8-14, 0-4) 3-0.

Coach Nicole Lantagne Welch said that she knew the Pirates were among the more dangerous teams in conference entering Sunday’s match and that she was pleased with the way her team responded.

The Hurricanes won by scores of 30-22, 30-22, and 30-25.

“They have some very dangerous hitters,” Lantagne Welch noted.

The coach cited senior outside hitter Marcela Gamarra for her steady and consistent contributions throughout the match. Gamarra led the Hurricanes with a match high 16 kills and generated a .368 hitting percentage.

In the hitting percentage category, Valeria Tipiana led UM with an improbable .765 hitting percentage. She had 13 kills in the match.

Freshman middle blocker Karla Johnson continued to be a force for the Hurricanes, chipping in with 12 kills and six total blocks.

Sophomore setter Mallorey James passed for 52 assists.

Kari Belin led the Pirates with 13 kills (.250 hitting percentage).

UM’s next match is Wednesday, Oct. 16 against Florida International at 7 p.m. in the Knight Sports Complex. The following Monday, the Hurricanes will face a stern test when they host the South Florida Bulls at 7 p.m. in the Knight Sports Complex.

On Friday night, the Hurricanes defeated Rutgers 30-27, 30-26, 30-26.

Although they entered the match 0-2, the Scarlet Knights are among the stronger teams in the Big East. They were swept in three by conference powerhouse Notre Dame and were upset by Syracuse in five games.

“Rutgers is an excellent opponent, they’ve done well in the conference, and it was refreshing to see us take this challenge and step it up and play very well at home,” Lantagne Welch said.

Tipiana and Johnson led the Hurricanes in most offensive categories. Johnson sustained her place among the conference’s most efficient attackers, generating a .360 hitting percentage and 12 kills. She also had five total blocks. Tipiana followed with 11 kills and a .391 hitting percentage and led the Hurricanes on defense with 18 digs.

James led UM with 37 assists.

Rutgers’ lineup featured one of the conference’s top setters in Pualani Tuyay as well as one of its most dangerous outside hitters, Shayla Bush.

Bush led the Scarlet Knights with a match high 18 kills, but the Hurricanes were able to limit her hitting percentage to .293. Bush also had a match high 19 digs.

“Shayla is an all-conference performer,” coach Lantagne Welch said. “She’s very athletic and she moves the ball around well. At least we were able to contain her enough to win the match. She’s one of those players who will always get her kills.”

Information provided by the Sports Information Department.

The University of Miami has a starting quarterback. On Tuesday, 11 days before the 2017 home opener, ...

Mark Richt, pleased and seemingly confident about his selection of redshirt junior Malik Rosier as t ...

Once known as ‘Quarterback U,’ the Miami Hurricanes have a spotty record of producing top signal cal ...

View photos from the Miami Hurricanes' football practice on Tues., Aug. 22, 2017 … Click to Con ...

Duke Johnson, the all-time leading rusher in Miami Hurricanes history, was one of a dozen members of ...

Students and faculty gathered at the Rock to catch a glimpse of the solar eclipse. ...

The University of Miami has embarked on an ambitious 10-year housing plan that will transform the st ...