UM Volleyball sweeps weekend

The University of Miami volleyball team (17-1, 5-1 in Big East Conference play) took its second straight conference victory Sunday at the Knight Sports Complex, defeating Seton Hall (8-14, 0-4) 3-0.

Coach Nicole Lantagne Welch said that she knew the Pirates were among the more dangerous teams in conference entering Sunday’s match and that she was pleased with the way her team responded.

The Hurricanes won by scores of 30-22, 30-22, and 30-25.

“They have some very dangerous hitters,” Lantagne Welch noted.

The coach cited senior outside hitter Marcela Gamarra for her steady and consistent contributions throughout the match. Gamarra led the Hurricanes with a match high 16 kills and generated a .368 hitting percentage.

In the hitting percentage category, Valeria Tipiana led UM with an improbable .765 hitting percentage. She had 13 kills in the match.

Freshman middle blocker Karla Johnson continued to be a force for the Hurricanes, chipping in with 12 kills and six total blocks.

Sophomore setter Mallorey James passed for 52 assists.

Kari Belin led the Pirates with 13 kills (.250 hitting percentage).

UM’s next match is Wednesday, Oct. 16 against Florida International at 7 p.m. in the Knight Sports Complex. The following Monday, the Hurricanes will face a stern test when they host the South Florida Bulls at 7 p.m. in the Knight Sports Complex.

On Friday night, the Hurricanes defeated Rutgers 30-27, 30-26, 30-26.

Although they entered the match 0-2, the Scarlet Knights are among the stronger teams in the Big East. They were swept in three by conference powerhouse Notre Dame and were upset by Syracuse in five games.

“Rutgers is an excellent opponent, they’ve done well in the conference, and it was refreshing to see us take this challenge and step it up and play very well at home,” Lantagne Welch said.

Tipiana and Johnson led the Hurricanes in most offensive categories. Johnson sustained her place among the conference’s most efficient attackers, generating a .360 hitting percentage and 12 kills. She also had five total blocks. Tipiana followed with 11 kills and a .391 hitting percentage and led the Hurricanes on defense with 18 digs.

James led UM with 37 assists.

Rutgers’ lineup featured one of the conference’s top setters in Pualani Tuyay as well as one of its most dangerous outside hitters, Shayla Bush.

Bush led the Scarlet Knights with a match high 18 kills, but the Hurricanes were able to limit her hitting percentage to .293. Bush also had a match high 19 digs.

“Shayla is an all-conference performer,” coach Lantagne Welch said. “She’s very athletic and she moves the ball around well. At least we were able to contain her enough to win the match. She’s one of those players who will always get her kills.”

Information provided by the Sports Information Department.

The young man convicted of killing former University of Miami football star Sean Taylor returned to ...

Lonnie Walker excelled on the court during the NBA Combine in Chicago last week. The potential lotte ...

Athlon Sports released its projections for the 2018 college football season Monday. The predictions ...

Here is some impressive news for the University of Miami football program: All but one of the remain ...

Lonnie Walker IV stood out on and off the court at the NBA Draft Combine, which ended on Sunday in C ...

Voters head to the polls in a historic election to choose the country’s next president. ...

From boathouse to marine research powerhouse, the Rosenstiel School of Marine and Atmospheric Scienc ...

Over his more than two decades at the U, the dean of students from 1976-1989 always put students fir ...

No. 7 seed Hurricanes staged a late comeback to win their opening game at the 2018 ACC Championship, ...

Estela Perez-Somarriba of the Miami women's tennis team earned ITA National Player to Watch hon ...

University of Miami senior Christian Langmo and freshman Adria Soriano will face Arkansas' Osca ...

The bracket for the NCAA Singles Championship is set and Miami sophomore Estela Perez-Somarriba will ...

Sinead Lohan and Estela Perez-Somarriba of the Miami women's tennis team earned ITA Southeast R ...