UM Volleyball sweeps weekend

The University of Miami volleyball team (17-1, 5-1 in Big East Conference play) took its second straight conference victory Sunday at the Knight Sports Complex, defeating Seton Hall (8-14, 0-4) 3-0.

Coach Nicole Lantagne Welch said that she knew the Pirates were among the more dangerous teams in conference entering Sunday’s match and that she was pleased with the way her team responded.

The Hurricanes won by scores of 30-22, 30-22, and 30-25.

“They have some very dangerous hitters,” Lantagne Welch noted.

The coach cited senior outside hitter Marcela Gamarra for her steady and consistent contributions throughout the match. Gamarra led the Hurricanes with a match high 16 kills and generated a .368 hitting percentage.

In the hitting percentage category, Valeria Tipiana led UM with an improbable .765 hitting percentage. She had 13 kills in the match.

Freshman middle blocker Karla Johnson continued to be a force for the Hurricanes, chipping in with 12 kills and six total blocks.

Sophomore setter Mallorey James passed for 52 assists.

Kari Belin led the Pirates with 13 kills (.250 hitting percentage).

UM’s next match is Wednesday, Oct. 16 against Florida International at 7 p.m. in the Knight Sports Complex. The following Monday, the Hurricanes will face a stern test when they host the South Florida Bulls at 7 p.m. in the Knight Sports Complex.

On Friday night, the Hurricanes defeated Rutgers 30-27, 30-26, 30-26.

Although they entered the match 0-2, the Scarlet Knights are among the stronger teams in the Big East. They were swept in three by conference powerhouse Notre Dame and were upset by Syracuse in five games.

“Rutgers is an excellent opponent, they’ve done well in the conference, and it was refreshing to see us take this challenge and step it up and play very well at home,” Lantagne Welch said.

Tipiana and Johnson led the Hurricanes in most offensive categories. Johnson sustained her place among the conference’s most efficient attackers, generating a .360 hitting percentage and 12 kills. She also had five total blocks. Tipiana followed with 11 kills and a .391 hitting percentage and led the Hurricanes on defense with 18 digs.

James led UM with 37 assists.

Rutgers’ lineup featured one of the conference’s top setters in Pualani Tuyay as well as one of its most dangerous outside hitters, Shayla Bush.

Bush led the Scarlet Knights with a match high 18 kills, but the Hurricanes were able to limit her hitting percentage to .293. Bush also had a match high 19 digs.

“Shayla is an all-conference performer,” coach Lantagne Welch said. “She’s very athletic and she moves the ball around well. At least we were able to contain her enough to win the match. She’s one of those players who will always get her kills.”

Information provided by the Sports Information Department.

Not only are the Hurricanes in the mix for at least five high-end running backs for the 2019 class, ...

After assembling one of the nation’s best groups of skill position players in the 2018 recruiting cl ...

Coach Kool, AKA Craig Kuligowski, is gone from the University of Miami, which is entirely uncool wit ...

He is considered among the finest defensive line coaches in the nation. And now, according to a writ ...

This is the time of year when every win or loss can make a difference in a team’s NCAA Tournament ch ...

Sea Secrets: Acclaimed Journalist Talks Sea Level-Rise ...

At the University of Miami, the professor has the last word on whether students can use their laptop ...

Members of the University of Miami first response teams remind us of resources available and what to ...

Mexican activist, poet and novelist Javier Sicilia deplored the violence stemming from the “drug war ...

From the North Pole to the South Pole and everywhere in between, the art of UM alumnus Xavier Cortad ...

Former Hurricane guard signs 10-day contract with Indiana Pacers. ...

The University of Miami track and field team will compete against fellow conference members at the 2 ...

After capturing its opening series with Rutgers, No. 24 Miami continues a season-opening, seven-game ...

The latest edition of Quick Hits introduces middle blocker Bridget Wallenberger ...

The No. 25-ranked University of Miami women's golf team finished ninth at the 2018 Allstate Sug ...