Campus Calendar and News Briefs

TODAY
The UM Alumni Association invites you to this year’s Audrey R. Finkelstein UM Experience, an interactive educational series featuring UM faculty, alumni and lecture topics. This year’s topics include “Public Health is Everyone’s Concern,” “Music’s Therapeutic Power,” “Diversity and Teaching,” “Surviving Times of Crisis,” “Business is a Contact Sport” and “Questions of Bioethics.” For more information contact the Office of Alumni Relations at 305-284-2872.

Attend a Non-Profit Career Fair from 10 a.m.-3p.m. at Miami-Dade Community College, on 300 N.E. 2nd Ave, Wolfson Campus, Bldg. 3, Room 3210 (1/2 Block from Bayside). Meet with approximately 50 state, national, and international nonprofit agencies working with the Environment, Youth, International relief, Homelessness, Public Policy and more. For more call the Volunteer Services Center at 305-284-GIVE, UC room 240 or email volunteerservice@miami.edu.

OCTOBER 12

THE UM Alumni Association will be hosting a Homecoming Pre-Game Celebration from 12 p.m. at the Orange Bowl. Contact Leslie Monreal, BSC 96, in the Office of Alumni Relations at 305-284-2872 or lmonreal@miami.edu.

OCTOBER 13
The Asian American Students Association will present the fourth annual Run and Gun Football Tournament on the IM fields. Register during the Asian American Students Association general meetings before Oct. 10. Contact Darrel Cabias at aasaum@yahoo.com for more information.
Find out the winners of Homecoming 2002 at the closing ceremonies at 12 p.m. at the UC Patio.

OCTOBER 14 – OCTOBER 26
Prevent the flu from sidelining you by receiving a vaccination, free of charge, available at several sites on campus. Flu vaccine is especially important for those at high risk for complications from chronic diseases such as asthma, or those continually in contact with immuno-compromised people. Visit the Student Health Service website at www.miami.edu/student-health for more information.

OCTOBER 15
CAC presents Minority Report at Cosford Cinema at 8 and 10:30 p.m.

Laser Tag at the Wellness Center at 5 p.m. Call Kevin at Hurricane Productions, 305-284-4606, for more details.

OCTOBER 16
The Counseling Center and the Academic Development Center invite you to attend a program by Dr. Malcolm Kahn, Director of the Counseling Center, on “Psychological Tips for Academic Success”, from 10 a.m. to 11 a.m. at the Academic Development Center – Room N201 (located on the 2nd floor of the Whitten University Center). For questions call (305) 284-5511.
“Healthy Haunted House” is the theme of this year’s Wellness Expo, an evening of fun, food, and fitness from 5 p.m. – 7 p.m, in the Wellness Center Atrium. See exhibitions ranging from South Beach Smoothies to flu shots from the Health Center. The evening will also feature instructional classes, demonstrations, a pumpkin decorating contest, and a prize for the best costume.

OCTOBER 23
The Women’s Resource Center presents the annual Clothesline Project, at the Rock from 10:00 a.m. – 2:00 p.m., in honor of Domestic Violence Month. The project facilitates the healing process for people who have lost a loved one or are survivors of violence.

OCTOBER 26
The Department of Multicultural Student Affairs will offer a free practice test for the MCAT, LSAT, GRE or GMAT. RSVP by calling 800-2Review.

OCTOBER 26 – NOVEMBER 2
QuantUM Entertainment will present the Rocky Horror Show at the Hillel Center. Call 786-262-3779 or visit www.gotoquantum.com for ticket information.

It’s almost time for academic advising for the Spring semester. Undergraduates should make appointments to see their faculty advisors November 4 through November 15. Even if you use the EASY system, you should consult an academic advisor. Registration for the Spring semester will begin on November 11. Courses for Spring 2003 are already listed on the EASY system, so you don’t have to wait for the printed books to come out.

Copies of the novel Siddhartha by Hermann Hesse are now available at a discount of 30% off at the University Bookstore. This discount is a promotion for the discussion of the novel that is to be held on Thursday, Oct. 31 from 7:00 P.M. to 9:00 P.M. in Pearson 137. Hosted by Solutions Interdisciplinary Forum and cosponsored by the Honors Program, the discussion features Dr. Benjiman D. Webb, Professor of German and Director of the Honors Program.

Are you free on Wednesdays from 11:00 a.m. – 2:00 p.m.? Be a mentor. Let at risk 4th graders know that they have an opportunity for a college education. Contact the Volunteer Services center at 305-284-GIVE or visit UC 240 for more information.

On Saturday, the Miami Hurricanes will play one of their biggest games of the year against the Florida State Seminoles at the Orange Bowl. The game is sold out; over 80,000 fans are expected. It will be televised on ABC at noon. UM administration encourages all students to come to the Orange Bowl. However, please keep several things in mind. Student gates will open at 10 a.m. and parking lots will be available at 8 a.m. Metrorail begins at 6 a.m. and the shuttle will be available at 10 a.m. Your Cane Card serves as your ticket to the game and you must be financially registered and have paid the Athletic Fee to attend the game. Use the Southeast Plaza Student Entrance. All students with a valid ID will receive a wristband at the student gate, which will allow you a seat in the student section. You will not be allowed to save seats for those arriving late. Students and fans will be denied admission into the stadium if they are intoxicated.

UM’s annual homecoming parade kicks off the evening festivities at 7 p.m. today. Serving as co-Grand Marshals are Jackie Nespral and Dr. James Wyche, Dean of the College of Arts and Sciences. The City of Coral Gables Police and Fire Departments, Palmetto High School

They’ve earned their first 10-win season since 2003. Now all they need are two more victories for a ...

It became very clear, as soon as University of Miami coaches began recruiting Lonnie Walker IV, that ...

A six-pack of UM football notes: ▪ After UM’s 44-28 victory against Virginia on Saturday, Cavaliers ...

The Atlantic Coast Conference Championship Game, featuring the Coastal Division champion Miami Hurri ...

As Miami fans await the newest College Football Playoff rankings on Tuesday night — the Hurricanes c ...

The 41st annual conference on the Caribbean and Central America held a special program at the Univer ...

The Finker-Frenkel Legacy Foundation gift will establish the Business Plan Competition Endowed Fund. ...

C. David Naylor, a UM Presidential Scholar and public health policy expert, provided insight into he ...

A cohort of five religious leaders from Miami, including a rabbi and imam from the University of Mia ...

Hollywood actress and star of the hit BET series Being Mary Jane gets real about gender, race and co ...

Erykah Davenport scored 16 points and grabbed a career-high 19 rebounds, as the Miami women's b ...

Miami defensive coordinator Manny Diaz was selected as one of 15 semifinalists for the Broyles Award ...

Former Miami football players Ronnie Walker and Todd Stanish are grateful to be able to celebrate an ...

The neutral-site game is a homecoming for freshman guard Lonnie Walker IV. ...

The University of Miami volleyball team will travel to Georgia Tech and Clemson this week for the fi ...