Symposium brings urban Latin America to U

Miami acts as a hub of South American culture.

As such, it was only fitting that the the UM College of Arts and Sciences, the Joseph Carter Memorial Fund, the Department of Foreign Languages and Literatures and the Center for Latin American Studies hosted a two-day symposium on Latin American cities at the School of Business Administration’s Storer Auditorium last week.

“This symposium offers an intimate and concentrated forum in which to exchange ideas about the rapidly changing nature of urban life in Latin America, and that includes Miami,” said Dr. Rebecca Biron, associate professor of Spanish and coordinator of the event.

The symposium is part of the University’s ongoing efforts to support interdisciplinary initiatives and build strong ties with the community through public forums and activities.

According to organizers, the purpose of the symposium was to explore the interdisciplinary approaches to understanding urban spaces and experiences throughout Latin America.

The discussion included scholars from Mexico City, Buenos Aires, Rio de Janeiro, Sao Paulo, Santiago de Chile and other locations throughout South and Central America.

The discussions were held in three different languages – English, Spanish, and Portuguese

View photos from the Syracuse at Miami game Saturday, Oct. 21, 2017, at Hard Rock Stadium in Miami G ...

CANESFAN SATISFACTION METER: G6: Time again for the latest installment of the Canesfan Satisfaction ...

Syracuse student writer Matthew Gutierrez of The Daily Orange asked me to answer some of his questio ...

After this past University of Miami football game, coach Mark Richt said the crowd came alive during ...

Syracuse visits Miami on Saturday, October 21st at Hard Rock Stadium. ...

Behind a historic performance from senior Olga Strantzali, the University of Miami volleyball team b ...

The Miami women's tennis team opened play Friday at the ITA Southeast Regional Championships Pr ...