Lindsey Yach producing as a frosh

Like many athletes, freshman Lindsey Yach had a list of division one schools knocking at her door in high school. For Yach, who received Big East Rookie of the Week honors on Sept. 23, it wasn’t about who had the most championships or where she could stand out most in the crowd. A unified team is the lifeblood of every successful sports program, and Yach is more aware of that then anyone else in a similar position.

Yach was quick to put her talent on display. She is second on the team, totaling 22 points on eight goals and three assists. She has already made quite an impact and still has seven games left to play in her first season.

Yach was surprised when she got wind of her honors.

“I didn’t think they’d be watching me,” Yach said.

Her teammates were very impressed, facetiously asking for her autograph. Head Coach Tricia Taliaferro, meanwhile, was not astonished to hear the news.

“Tactically, Lindsey really understands the game,” Taliaferro said. “Her vision is special; it’s not something everyone on the team has.”

What the team did have as a whole, though, is the reason why Yach arrived in Coral Gables.

“When I came here and first watched them play, I liked the girls on the team,” Yach said. “I felt like I could be a part of something.”

Growing up in the small suburb of Carrollton, Texas, Yach also felt like big city life would be a nice change.

“Carrollton is a lot more laid-back-here, there’s always something to do,” Yach said.

Needing something to do has not been a priority for the freshman midfielder. With grueling practices after class and traveling up the coast for away games, time management is an issue that the Computer Information Systems major grapples with daily. Her days playing on a Dallas club soccer team during high school now seem much easier, especially in the physical game.

“On the club team I could get away with trapping the ball, looking up, and finding where to go,” Yach said. “Here, I have to think a lot more. The girls here are much more aware of what they’re doing.”

But Yach knows she didn’t reach this level all on her own. Her parents have been the most influential people in her life, helping to guide her. Yach’s father gave her pointers and worked on her game with her, while Yach’s mother always backed her up with the confidence she needed.

Before soccer powerhouses such as Texas A+M, Southern Methodist and the University of Missouri recruited her, Yach played in the North Texas State Olympic Development Program (ODP). The program consists of several teams who compete at the state, regional, and national levels. College coaches often look for recruits through the ODP.

“You have to show off and stand out,” Yach said. “If you don’t, then you’re just another player and you won’t be able to move forward.”

Yach didn’t seem to have a problem standing out, although she enjoys playing together much more than individual competition. She gets along with her UM teammates well, and they have a strong relationship.

Yach is happy about the smooth transition she’s experienced into college soccer so far. Just from her numbers, it’s apparent that other members of the team, including the coaching staff, are not too disappointed about her presence, either.

“She’s creating chances for her teammates, and she’s creating chances for herself,” Taliaferro said.

For now, these golden opportunities are a large part of what’s keeping the ‘Canes in the Big East 8

Hurricanes fans, get out your pencils, calendars and a list of your favorite hotels. The Atlantic Co ...

Three former Miami Hurricanes — defensive lineman Chad Thomas, offensive lineman KC McDermott and de ...

In all technicality, the Orange Bowl is a postseason, neutral-site bowl game that includes a top tea ...

When it comes to recruiting, the scariest sentence for Miami Hurricanes fans is this one: Nesta Silv ...

This time, there was no miracle Miami win over Duke. The fifth-ranked Blue Devils rallied from a 13- ...

The Beaux Arts Festival of Art debuts at a new site with picture-perfect weather and a panoply of or ...

Dr. Martin Luther King Jr.’s vision for a “Beloved Community” has inspired a number of University of ...

The University of Miami women's basketball team took down Syracuse to record their 750th all-ti ...

Following a promising performance during the fall portion of the 2017-18 campaign, the University of ...

The University of Miami track and field program travels to Texas this week to compete at the Texas T ...

The Miami women's tennis team will begin its 2018 spring season this weekend on its home court. ...

The University of Miami released its 2018 football schedule Wednesday, highlighted by a nationally t ...