Communication to see further improvements

Despite the welcome of the Frances L. Wolfson Building in March 2001, the School of Communication [SOC] administration is making plans for an additional $6.25 million expansion which will include space for sections of student activities and working areas for the varying majors in the SOC and will eliminate the use of additional buildings such as the Learning Center lecture halls to hold classes.

Members of the building committee include SOC Dean Edward Pfister, Associate Dean Robert Hosman, Jackie Gonzalez, director of administration, and Victor Jugenheimer, director of engineering services.

“Our primary purpose is to build to serve our students with space other than formal classrooms,” Pfister said. “We want the new building to be available to students 14 to 15 hours a week, seven days a week.”

“I’m glad to hear that we’re working on it,” Dr. Bruce Garrison said. “We’ve been very successful in recent years and we need the space.”

The SOC supports over 1,000 undergraduate and graduate students and over 40 faculty members.

Construction for the new building is set to begin within the next six months.

“Our school has grown to the point where we are out of space,” Gonzalez said. “We want to enhance the school with the new addition.”

“I think it will provide a better working environment for students and staff,” said junior Grace Daley, broadcast major.

However, some students seem to think too little, too late.

“I think it’s poor planning since they finished the [current]building two years ago,” said sophomore Seanna Cronin, photojournalism and biology major. “But I guess it’s a good sign that the school is growing and that people want to take [communication]classes.”

Freshman Aubrie Campbell, motion pictures major, was surprised but pleased to hear about the expansion.

“More space is good. I think it’s cool,” she said.

Although the plan for the SOC expansion is still in the early stages of development, those involved with the project say that the proposed 5-story building will be built to be able to accommodate future expansion.

The additional structure will be connected to the longer part of the L-shaped building in the grassy area across from the LC.

The first floor will be used as an audio lab and computer lab for AVID composition and technicians; the second floor will serve as a 150-student lecture hall and rooms for student activities including the debate team and PhD students; the third floor will house a 150-student lecture hall, six faculty offices, the news bureau and spaces for adjunct professors.

According to organizers, the building will be partially funded by the University; however, donors will be the main source of funding.

At press time, these donors were still undetermined.

Former NFL and University of Miami star Kellen Winslow Jr. was arrested Thursday for numerous allege ...

Trevor Darling's perseverance paid off. After not being selected in the NFL Draft, the former U ...

Father's Day has never been a big holiday in the Larranaga household because basketball always ...

The start to former Miami Hurricanes defensive end Chad Thomas' NFL career is going through a m ...

At one section of Miami's Richmond Park, Hurricanes offensive line coach Stacy Searels taught a ...

Colder Atlantic temperatures could change hurricane season forecasts, but the trend isn't expec ...

UM neurorehabilitation expert David S. Kushner, M.D., who helps modern patients recover from brain s ...

UM News interviewed a Miami Business School professor to learn more about claims that the changes co ...

An outstanding showing at the USATF Championships earned Symone Mason a trip to the World U20 Champi ...

UM alum returns to lead Canes' MBB strength and conditioning efforts. ...

Amy Deem was recognized for the third time as the ACC Women's Outdoor Track and Field Coach of ...

During the 2017-18 school year, Miami had student-athletes from 17 of the 32 countries in the FIFA W ...

The University of Miami track and field program got off to a strong start at the 2018 USATF Junior O ...