Campus Calendar and News Briefs

TODAY
Join the brothers of Lambda Theta Phi in a game or two of dominoes or cards while listening to a Latin Friday Groove Band sponsored by Hurricane Productions on the UC Patio at 12 p.m.

OCTOBER 5 – 6
The famed Cuban Zarzuela (Spanish musical comedy) Cecilia Valdes, Ballet! will debut at the Miami-Dade County Auditorium, Saturday at 8 p.m. and Sunday at 3 p.m.

OCTOBER 6
The Society of Bar and Gavel will host the RACE Judicata, a 5K run/walk around the UM campus to raise money for the CHARLEE Family Cares Homes Program which provides alternative housing to emotionally challenged children in the Miami-Dade community. For more information visit the Dean of Students office at the Law School, Room 212, or email barandgavel@law.miami.edu.
Tour the Biltmore hotel from 1:30 -4:30 p.m.

NFL Sunday Ticket at the Rat from 12- 4p.m.

OCTOBER 7
The Gay, Lesbian and Bisexual Community (GLBC) is sponsoring a number of events to celebrate Coming Out Week. Opening Ceremonies are at noon today and will include music, food and a discussion panel called GAY 101.

Sophia from Road Rules 10 is giving a talk during GLBC’s Coming Out Week dealing with issues such as coming out to family and friends, homophobia, heterophobia and bridging the gap between the heterosexual and homosexual community. For more information call 305.284-5520.

Hollywood Squares is coming to campus in search of undergraduate students to audition for the annual College Tournament. The chosen contestants will fly to Hollywood to compete against other students from colleges around the country with a chance to win cash prizes and possibly a new car. Auditions will be held in the UC ballrooms at 2 and 5 p.m.

Lunch with Larry Coker at the Rat from 11:45 a.m. -1 p.m.

OCTOBER 8
The UM Department of Theatre Arts announces Totally Tuesdays, four performances at the Ring Theatre free for students. The first play, The Laramie Project starts at 8 p.m. today; theatre doors will open at 7:30 p.m.

CAC presents Star Wars: Episode II at the Cosford Cinema at 8 and 10 p.m.

OCTOBER 9
CAC presents a sneak preview of Knockaround Guys at Cosford Cinema at 9 p.m. Pick up passes at UC 206.

OCTOBER 10
The UM Counseling Center is participating in National Depression Screening Day. From 11 a.m. – 2 p.m. in the UC Breezeway, students will be administered a brief depression screening and receive immediate feedback. Information will be available about depression, manic-depression, anxiety and post-traumatic stress disorder. Call Gretchen at 305-284-5511 for more information.

Poet and playwright Jay Wright, recipient of the 2000 Lannan Literary Award for Poetry, a Guggenheim Fellowship and the 62nd Fellowship of the Academy of American Poets, will read from his Collected Poems at 4 p.m. in 427 Ashe. Wright examines history from a multicultural perspective, linking American society to African traditions. He believes that a poem must articulate the vital rhythms of the culture it depicts and is dedicated to a pursuit of poetic forms that embody the cadence of African American culture.

OCTOBER 11
The UM Alumni Association invites you to this year’s Audrey R. Finkelstein UM Experience, an interactive educational series featuring UM faculty, alumni and lecture topics. This year’s topics include “Public Health is Everyone’s Concern,” “Music’s Therapeutic Power,” “Diversity and Teaching,” “Surviving Times of Crisis,” “Business is a Contact Sport” and “Questions of Bioethics.” For more information contact the Office of Alumni Relations at 305-284-2872.

OCTOBER 13
The Asian American Students Association will present The 4th Annual Run and Gun Football Tournament on the IM fields. Register during the Asian American Students Association general meetings before Oct. 10. Contact Darrel Cabias at aasaum@yahoo.com for more information.

OCTOBER 15
CAC presents Minority Report at Cosford Cinema at 8 and 10:30 p.m.

Laser Tag at the Wellness Center at 5 p.m. Call Kevin at Hurricane Productions, 305-284-4606, for more details.

OCTOBER 26
The Department of Multicultural Student Affairs will offer a free practice test for the MCAT, LSAT, GRE, or GMAT. RSVP by calling 800-2Review.

From Friday, Sept. 27 – Sunday, Sept 29, the UM Debate Team traveled to its first intercollegiate competition of the year, hosted by Middle Tennessee State University in Murfreesboro. Others schools participating included the University of Alabama, The University of Louisville, Vanderbilt University, Capital University of Ohio and Clemson University, among others. The UM team of Stephanie Torre and Nate Radius advanced into the semi-final debate of the Junior Varsity Division, and their teammates Skylar Zwick and Aubrie Campbell advanced into the quarterfinals of the Novice division after compiling a perfect 6-0 preliminary record. Torre, a freshman competing in her first college competition, was recognized as the best speaker in the Junior Division. Zwick, a sophomore, was the fifth-place speaker in Novice. The UM team is now larger than ever with over 35 participating members. The next scheduled competition is the tournament hosted by the University of Alabama on October 11-13.

The Honors Program will accept applications for the Barry M. Goldwater Scholarship from Oct. 1- Nov. 1. UM can nominate up to four students to compete in the national competition. Applicants must be U.S. citizens, resident aliens or U.S. nationals; be a UM sophomore or junior pursuing a Bachelor’s degree full time; and have an excellent academic record and a demonstrated interest in careers in mathematics, engineering or the natural sciences. Visit the Honors Program website at www.miami.edu/honorsprogram or stop by the Honors Program in Bldg. 21 Y.

The School of Communication has resumed the webcasting of UMTV programs with a novel dual-feed approach; programs will be streamed live and archived at 56K (modem speed) and 225K (broadband speed).

The Miami Hurricanes, still waiting for a starting quarterback to be named, are in the top 25 again. ...

Happy first day of school for everyone out there, including the University of Miami students. We jus ...