Bright Eyes makes Miami fans go GAGA

Hailed as the “next big thing” in Rolling Stone and Entertainment Weekly, Bright Eyes’ Connor Oberst performed last Sunday at Miami’s Manuel Airtime Theatre with a 15-piece orchestra. Is he worth the full-blown hype he’s been receiving? I can answer that with an astounding “yes.”

Due to the “orchestra feel” of the tour, the venue was hand-picked by the band. The plush, comfy seats were filled to nearly full-capacity with patrons wearing thick-rimmed glasses, in both the downstairs and balcony sections.

Noteworthy opener M. Ward has been alongside Bright Eyes for the entire tour. Ward plays an amazing guitar with slap techniques usually exemplified by only the most experienced bassists. His music would be classified by most as “melodic folk.” It was relaxing, and a nice compliment to the Bright Eyes tour. Oberst himself accompanied M. Ward for one song on vocals and guitar.

When the lights dimmed for Bright Eyes, several people crowded near the front but were quickly instructed to sit. This was an effort to keep the “orchestra atmosphere.” 12 musicians came out momentarily, and shuffled around as they played a variety of instruments including the baritone, cello, slide guitar (with e-bow), trumpet, violin, flute, harmonica, bass guitar, three percussionists, banjo, keyboard, oboe, and vibes. Then the music prodigy appeared -with two bottles of Rolling Rock, his guitar, and a quite obvious buzz.

He played a plethora of songs, both old and new. During one amusing moment, he forgot the words to a song and sought refuge from his band mates. He was quickly set straight and sent back to the mic. Between each song, at least one swig of Rolling Rock was poured down his throat.

But despite the intoxication, the emotion in his music was undiluted. Bright Eyes has some of the most amazing lyrics out there right now. He’s not just bitching about a girl (although there is the occasional song about relationships) – he deals with other issues that face our generation. Some of the songs were so powerful they ran chills down my spine.

As they played the last chord of their set and began to exit the stage, the crowd clearly desired more. The applause and cheering lasted a solid five minutes before Connor came back on stage with just a drummer and a bassist. The remaining audience crowded up to the front of the stage as he played two songs. The last two songs of the encore were performed with the entire band.

He ended powerfully with “Kathy with a K” off of Oh Holy Fools!, a split with Son, Ambulance, another act on the Saddle Creek records label. Connor then “stumbled” off the stage with his Rolling Rock in tow.

For more info: www.saddlecreek.com.

Kira Wisniewski can be reached at kira@punks.net.

University of Miami coach Mark Richt called Darrell Langham’s amazing, 28-yard catch on fourth-and-1 ...

Darrell Langham is 6-4, but might as well be 8-4 — that’s how much he has grown in stature for the M ...

The Miami Hurricanes have done it again. For the second week in a row, the Canes rallied to win in t ...

Five of the greatest football players of all time were inducted into the Miami Hurricanes Ring of Ho ...

View photos from the Georgia Tech at Miami game Saturday, Oct. 14, 2017, at Hard Rock Stadium in Mia ...

Darrell Langham's miraculous 28-yard catch set up Michael Badgley's game-winning field goa ...

The University of Miami men's tennis team wrapped up play Sunday evening at the 2017 Oracle/ITA ...

The University of Miami women's rowing team opened the fall portion of its 2017-18 schedule on ...

Freshman Bojan Jankulovski highlighted Day 2 competition on Saturday for the University of Miami men ...

The University of Miami volleyball team demonstrated skill on both sides of the ball Sunday, sweepin ...