UM soccer leaves Syracuse with tie

Syracuse, NY- The University of Miami women’s soccer team remained undefeated in Big East play as it finished locked in a 2-2 two-overtime tie with Syracuse on Sunday afternoon in Syracuse, New York.
The Hurricanes remain at 7-3-1 overall and 3-0-1 in Big East play, while the Orangemen maintain a 2-5-2 overall record and 0-2-1 in the Big East.
Miami fell early in the match, 1-0, as midfielder Anne-Marie Lapalme blasted one far post on a pass from Natalie Galas in the 12th minute of play.
The Hurricanes found the equalizer three minutes later (15th minute) on an unassisted goal by forward Britney Butcher, who won a 50/50 ball and beat the Orangemen defense for her team-leading 10th goal of the season.
Forward Allison McWhinney gave the Hurricanes a 2-1 lead in the 29th minute as she gathered a rebound off a Vonda Matthews shot and knocked in her fifth goal of the season past goalkeeper Emily Kowalczyk.
However, Galas would send the match into overtime, scoring in the 64th minute of play on a pass from defender Erica Mastrogiacomo.
After two ten-minute overtime periods, the match remained scoreless ending in a 2-2 tie.
The Hurricanes out-shot the Orangemen 22 to 18. Additionally, Miami goalkeeper Rachel Elsby had an impressive performance registering 10 saves on the afternoon.
The Hurricanes return to Coral Gables as they host Connecticut on Friday, Oct. 4 at 7 p.m. and St. John’s on Sunday, Oct. 6. at 1 p.m.
Article provided by the UM Sports Information Department.

Lonnie Walker excelled on the court during the NBA Combine in Chicago last week. The potential lotte ...

Athlon Sports released its projections for the 2018 college football season Monday. The predictions ...

Here is some impressive news for the University of Miami football program: All but one of the remain ...

Lonnie Walker IV stood out on and off the court at the NBA Draft Combine, which ended on Sunday in C ...

University of Miami incoming prep star Will Mallory, the other half of the soon-to-be No. 1 freshman ...

From boathouse to marine research powerhouse, the Rosenstiel School of Marine and Atmospheric Scienc ...

Over his more than two decades at the U, the dean of students from 1976-1989 always put students fir ...

The final Sea Secrets lecture at the Rosenstiel School examines the biofluorescence of marine organi ...

Sinead Lohan and Estela Perez-Somarriba of the Miami women's tennis team earned ITA Southeast R ...

Sophomore righthander Evan McKendry and freshman Freddy Zamora were among those recognized by the At ...

Senior Jeb Bargfeldt was recognized as ACC Pitcher of the Week following a dominating performance ag ...

No. 7 seed Miami opens its run at the 2018 ACC Baseball Championship Tuesday, May 22 against No. 11 ...

Although 17th-year head coach Paige Yaroshuk-Tews has made Sweet 16 appearances commonplace the jour ...