UM soccer leaves Syracuse with tie

Syracuse, NY- The University of Miami women’s soccer team remained undefeated in Big East play as it finished locked in a 2-2 two-overtime tie with Syracuse on Sunday afternoon in Syracuse, New York.
The Hurricanes remain at 7-3-1 overall and 3-0-1 in Big East play, while the Orangemen maintain a 2-5-2 overall record and 0-2-1 in the Big East.
Miami fell early in the match, 1-0, as midfielder Anne-Marie Lapalme blasted one far post on a pass from Natalie Galas in the 12th minute of play.
The Hurricanes found the equalizer three minutes later (15th minute) on an unassisted goal by forward Britney Butcher, who won a 50/50 ball and beat the Orangemen defense for her team-leading 10th goal of the season.
Forward Allison McWhinney gave the Hurricanes a 2-1 lead in the 29th minute as she gathered a rebound off a Vonda Matthews shot and knocked in her fifth goal of the season past goalkeeper Emily Kowalczyk.
However, Galas would send the match into overtime, scoring in the 64th minute of play on a pass from defender Erica Mastrogiacomo.
After two ten-minute overtime periods, the match remained scoreless ending in a 2-2 tie.
The Hurricanes out-shot the Orangemen 22 to 18. Additionally, Miami goalkeeper Rachel Elsby had an impressive performance registering 10 saves on the afternoon.
The Hurricanes return to Coral Gables as they host Connecticut on Friday, Oct. 4 at 7 p.m. and St. John’s on Sunday, Oct. 6. at 1 p.m.
Article provided by the UM Sports Information Department.

Former pro wrestler and promoter The Tennessee Stud Ron Fuller was interviewed by Ryan K. Boman of T ...

The University of Miami has its future quarterback. Jarren Williams, a consensus four-star, dual-thr ...

Through its new Leadership UMiami program, the Butler Center for Service and Leadership is empowerin ...

A Biomedical Engineering Major and campus leader, Sterile Achille involved herself in many activitie ...

University of Miami head volleyball coach Jose "Keno" Gandara is excited to announce a fou ...

University of Miami women's volleyball player Brooke McDermott is an active member in the Hurri ...