UM soccer leaves Syracuse with tie

Syracuse, NY- The University of Miami women’s soccer team remained undefeated in Big East play as it finished locked in a 2-2 two-overtime tie with Syracuse on Sunday afternoon in Syracuse, New York.
The Hurricanes remain at 7-3-1 overall and 3-0-1 in Big East play, while the Orangemen maintain a 2-5-2 overall record and 0-2-1 in the Big East.
Miami fell early in the match, 1-0, as midfielder Anne-Marie Lapalme blasted one far post on a pass from Natalie Galas in the 12th minute of play.
The Hurricanes found the equalizer three minutes later (15th minute) on an unassisted goal by forward Britney Butcher, who won a 50/50 ball and beat the Orangemen defense for her team-leading 10th goal of the season.
Forward Allison McWhinney gave the Hurricanes a 2-1 lead in the 29th minute as she gathered a rebound off a Vonda Matthews shot and knocked in her fifth goal of the season past goalkeeper Emily Kowalczyk.
However, Galas would send the match into overtime, scoring in the 64th minute of play on a pass from defender Erica Mastrogiacomo.
After two ten-minute overtime periods, the match remained scoreless ending in a 2-2 tie.
The Hurricanes out-shot the Orangemen 22 to 18. Additionally, Miami goalkeeper Rachel Elsby had an impressive performance registering 10 saves on the afternoon.
The Hurricanes return to Coral Gables as they host Connecticut on Friday, Oct. 4 at 7 p.m. and St. John’s on Sunday, Oct. 6. at 1 p.m.
Article provided by the UM Sports Information Department.

The Hurricanes have become part of college football’s national conversation, and the more wins they ...

Kicker Michael Badgley will soon become the University of Miami’s all-time field goal leader. In the ...

University of Miami coach Mark Richt called Darrell Langham’s amazing, 28-yard catch on fourth-and-1 ...

Darrell Langham is 6-4, but might as well be 8-4 — that’s how much he has grown in stature for the M ...

The Miami Hurricanes have done it again. For the second week in a row, the Canes rallied to win in t ...

Hurricanes legends Michael Irvin, Ray Lewis, Ed Reed, Warren Sapp and Sean Taylor were officially ad ...

University of Miami wide receiver Darrell Langham and kicker Michael Badgley were among those recogn ...

University of Miami redshirt setter Haley Templeton was named ACC Player of the Week, the conference ...

Freshman Bojan Jankulovski highlighted Day 2 competition on Saturday for the University of Miami men ...

The University of Miami's football game at North Carolina on Oct. 28 will kick off at noon ET o ...