Campus Calendar and News Briefs

TODAY
Applications are due today for study abroad programs for the spring semester. For more information, email www.studyabroad.miami.edu.

Lilo and Stitch @ Cosford Cinema, 8 p.m. and 10 p.m.

OCTOBER 2

“Soul-Searching: Neuroscience & Philosophy” is a symposium prepared to explore the relationship between philosophy and the neurosciences. Speakers will include Dr. Durel, Psychology; Dr. Evnine, Philosophy; Dr. Siegel, Philosophy; Dr Siewart, Philosophy; and Dr. Wilson, Biology.

OCTOBER 6

The Society of Bar and Gavel will host the RACE Judicata, a 5K run/walk around the UM campus to raise money for the CHARLEE Family Cares Homes Program, which provides alternative housing to emotionally challenged children in the Miami-Dade community. For more information, visit the Dean of Students office at the Law School, room 212, or barandgavel@law.miami.edu.

Tour the Biltmore hotel from 1:30 -4:30 p.m.

OCTOBER 7

The Gay, Lesbian and Bisexual Community (GLBC) is sponsoring a number of events to celebrate Coming Out Week. Opening Ceremonies are at noon on Monday, Oct. 7, which will include music, food and a discussion panel called GAY 101.

Lunch with Larry Coker at the Rat from 11:45 a.m. -1 p.m.

OCTOBER 8

The UM Department of Theatre Arts announces Totally Tuesdays, four performances at the Ring Theatre free for students. The first play, Oct. 8, The Laramie Project, starts at 8:00 p.m.; theatre doors will open at 7:30 p.m.

OCTOBER 9

Sneak preview of Knockaround Guys at Cosford Cinema at 9 p.m. Pick up passes at UC 206.

OCTOBER 11

The UM Alumni Association invites you to this year’s Audrey R. Finkelstein UM Experience, an interactive educational series featuring UM faculty, alumni and lecture topics. This year’s topics include “Public Health is Everyone’s Concern,” “Music’s Therapeutic Power,” “Diversity and Teaching,” “Surviving Times of Crisis,” “Business is a Contact Sport” and “Questions of Bioethics.” For more information contact the Office of Alumni Relations at 305-284-2872.

OCTOBER 13

The Asian American Students Association will present The 4th Annual Run and Gun Football Tournament on the IM fields. Register during the Asian American Student Association general meetings before Oct. 10. Contact Darrel Cabias at aasaum@yahoo.com for more information.

OCTOBER 26

The Department of Multicultural Student Affairs will offer a free practice test for the MCAT, LSAT, GRE or GMAT. RSVP by calling 800-2Review.

PAVILION IN HONOR OF GOIZUETA ALMOST COMPLETE
Construction of the Cuban Heritage Collection’s (CHC) Roberto C. Goizueta Pavilion, named after the Cuban-born former CEO of Coca-Cola, is almost complete. The CHC will be moving into this new space in October, and thus will be closed from Monday, Sept. 30, to Tuesday, Oct. 15. The new pavilion will feature an exhibit gallery, spacious reading room, conference room, expansive collections area, new offices for CHC faculty and staff and the Cuban Heritage Digital Collection. The official inauguration of the Pavilion is scheduled for Tuesday, Jan. 28, 2003, to coincide with the 150th anniversary of the birth of Cuban patriot Jos

Daniela Deu was drawn to both architecture and urbanism, believes architecture can change communitie ...

Check out the latest edition of Hurricane Magazine. ...

Members from the Miami track and field team spent the afternoon at the Boys and Girls Club in Miami ...

University of Miami diver Briadam Herrera collected a 1-meter national title at the Greensboro Aquat ...

Two Hurricanes receive AVCA All-America recognition for first time since 2014. ...

Coming off its first top-25 victory of the year, the Miami women's basketball team will play it ...