Campus Calendar and News Briefs

Applications are due today for study abroad programs for the spring semester. For more information, email

Lilo and Stitch @ Cosford Cinema, 8 p.m. and 10 p.m.

“Soul-Searching: Neuroscience & Philosophy” is a symposium prepared to explore the relationship between philosophy and the neurosciences. Speakers will include Dr. Durel, Psychology; Dr. Evnine, Philosophy; Dr. Siegel, Philosophy; Dr Siewart, Philosophy; and Dr. Wilson, Biology.

The Society of Bar and Gavel will host the RACE Judicata, a 5K run/walk around the UM campus to raise money for the CHARLEE Family Cares Homes Program, which provides alternative housing to emotionally challenged children in the Miami-Dade community. For more information, visit the Dean of Students office at the Law School, room 212, or

Tour the Biltmore hotel from 1:30 -4:30 p.m.

The Gay, Lesbian and Bisexual Community (GLBC) is sponsoring a number of events to celebrate Coming Out Week. Opening Ceremonies are at noon on Monday, Oct. 7, which will include music, food and a discussion panel called GAY 101.

Lunch with Larry Coker at the Rat from 11:45 a.m. -1 p.m.

The UM Department of Theatre Arts announces Totally Tuesdays, four performances at the Ring Theatre free for students. The first play, Oct. 8, The Laramie Project, starts at 8:00 p.m.; theatre doors will open at 7:30 p.m.

Sneak preview of Knockaround Guys at Cosford Cinema at 9 p.m. Pick up passes at UC 206.

The UM Alumni Association invites you to this year’s Audrey R. Finkelstein UM Experience, an interactive educational series featuring UM faculty, alumni and lecture topics. This year’s topics include “Public Health is Everyone’s Concern,” “Music’s Therapeutic Power,” “Diversity and Teaching,” “Surviving Times of Crisis,” “Business is a Contact Sport” and “Questions of Bioethics.” For more information contact the Office of Alumni Relations at 305-284-2872.

The Asian American Students Association will present The 4th Annual Run and Gun Football Tournament on the IM fields. Register during the Asian American Student Association general meetings before Oct. 10. Contact Darrel Cabias at for more information.

The Department of Multicultural Student Affairs will offer a free practice test for the MCAT, LSAT, GRE or GMAT. RSVP by calling 800-2Review.

Construction of the Cuban Heritage Collection’s (CHC) Roberto C. Goizueta Pavilion, named after the Cuban-born former CEO of Coca-Cola, is almost complete. The CHC will be moving into this new space in October, and thus will be closed from Monday, Sept. 30, to Tuesday, Oct. 15. The new pavilion will feature an exhibit gallery, spacious reading room, conference room, expansive collections area, new offices for CHC faculty and staff and the Cuban Heritage Digital Collection. The official inauguration of the Pavilion is scheduled for Tuesday, Jan. 28, 2003, to coincide with the 150th anniversary of the birth of Cuban patriot Jos

A six-pack of UM notes on a Friday: ▪ Four-star Oregon-based quarterback Michael Johnson Jr. told Ri ...

On the eve of her team’s NCAA Tournament opener, University of Miami coach Katie Meier took the oppo ...

The defeated and deflated Miami Hurricanes quietly packed up their bags and trudged out of their Ame ...

Even before Donte Ingram broke Miami’s heart and sent the Hurricanes home from the NCAA Tournament w ...

And so ends Miami's season. No. 11 seed Loyola-Chicago's Donte Ingram hit a buzzer-beating ...

From bringing communities together to understanding the impacts of urbanization on the groundwater s ...

Novelist Jennine Capó Crucet’s book talk on March 20 explores belonging, identity, and what it means ...

Musical theatre students spent quality time learning (and laughing) with Avenue Q co-creator Jeff Ma ...

The University of Miami takes concrete steps to become the hemispheric university as it builds a rel ...

A UM physicist comments on the passing of British theoretical physicist Stephen Hawking. ...

The Canes closed out the Hurricane Invitational with a strong showing on the track and in the field ...

The University of Miami rowing team kicked off its spring season at the 2018 Oak Ridge Cardinal Invi ...

The Hurricanes fell behind early and could not recover Saturday afternoon, falling to No. 23 Duke, 4 ...

The University of Miami women's basketball team had its superb 2017-18 season come to an end Sa ...

The University of Miami men's tennis team will go into a match ranked for the first time this s ...