Wellness Center offers variety of fitness options

The Wellness Center [WC] has recently spent $150,000 replacing all of their resistance training equipment, said Chris Locke, WC director.

“The students are paying the Wellness Center fee and should get their money’s worth. That includes making sure students have the best possible equipment,” Ali Paredes said. “The equipment is up-to-date and there are a wide variety of machines for every muscle, unlike other places I’ve been such as the YMCA.”

The new Magnum equipment is located in the fitness room on the ground floor of the Wellness Center.

A longtime perk of the Wellness Center is the free aerobics classes offered to all patrons.

Classes are offered in everything from step classes to cardio kickboxing to funk aerobics.

David Porter, Assistant Director of the Wellness Center, is in charge of running the aerobics, studio cycling, yoga and a myriad of instructional programs.

It doesn’t matter how stressful the day is,” said Rita Deutsch, associate dean of the College of Arts and Sciences. “By the time I get done I’m totally stress-free. The teachers are all professionally wonderful and they have the most broad-ranging, wonderful programs. I’ve seen a change in myself health-wise since I’ve been going and would encourage all students to take part.”

Students could entertain themselves for hours and never have to go to an aerobics class” Porter said.

Deutsch said she goes to classes three nights a week after work.

“It gets stress out and makes you feel like you’ve accomplished something in your day,” Paredes agreed.

Instructional programs such as studio cycling, various forms of yoga, swimming lessons, meditation, karate, fencing, soccer, weight training and tennis are all examples of what can be taken at the Wellness Center.

Dance classes such as hip-hop, swing, ballet, belly dance and salsa have been popular with students.

“I have already learned a lot after only two classes,” freshman Lauren Brown said. “It’s a lot of fun and the teachers are all really good.”

Intramural and club sports also run out of the Wellness Center. Intramural sports include flag football, floor hockey, inner tube water polo, ultimate frisbee, soccer and more. Participation has increased over the past year, with flag football growing from 61 teams last year to over 80 teams this year. Club sports offer a variety of different opportunities for students to compete against other universities at lower than the varsity level as well as to socialize and learn more about their given sport.

“Soccer is fun and relaxing even though the flag football teams take over the field,” said Angie Pendergrass.

UM student Ben Everard once found himself competing against a 60-year-old man in racquetball.

“He killed me. I was completely smoked,” Everard said.

The Wellness Expo will be held Oct. 16 from 5-7 p.m. It will be a large health fair with a Halloween Haunted House theme. According to Janet Tiberian, WC assistant director, the main purpose of this expo will be to improve the campus’ overall wellness.

“This event will expose students and the UM community to campus and community resources to help wellness. The more people get involved with different activities, the more their wellness will improve,” Tiberian said.

Dance demonstrations, massages and trial classes will be offered.

The Wellness Education Series held on Wednesday nights features the classes “Time Management for Perfectionists” and “How to Avoid the Freshman Fifteen,” along with cooking demonstrations of paella and Thai food.

For more information on Wellness Center programs, call 305-284-3253 or visit the website at www.miami.edu/wellness.

The Hurricanes have become part of college football’s national conversation, and the more wins they ...

Kicker Michael Badgley will soon become the University of Miami’s all-time field goal leader. In the ...

University of Miami coach Mark Richt called Darrell Langham’s amazing, 28-yard catch on fourth-and-1 ...

Darrell Langham is 6-4, but might as well be 8-4 — that’s how much he has grown in stature for the M ...

The Miami Hurricanes have done it again. For the second week in a row, the Canes rallied to win in t ...

Hurricanes legends Michael Irvin, Ray Lewis, Ed Reed, Warren Sapp and Sean Taylor were officially ad ...

University of Miami wide receiver Darrell Langham and kicker Michael Badgley were among those recogn ...

University of Miami redshirt setter Haley Templeton was named ACC Player of the Week, the conference ...

Freshman Bojan Jankulovski highlighted Day 2 competition on Saturday for the University of Miami men ...

The University of Miami's football game at North Carolina on Oct. 28 will kick off at noon ET o ...