Volleyball still undefeated

A free T-shirt and free pizza weren’t the only attraction at the University of Miami women’s volleyball game Friday night.

The unbeatable Hurricane volleyball team (11-0) blew by the competition as they put together a three-game victory over the Owls of Florida Atlantic University (5-10).

Not only did the win better their record to 11 straight victories for this season, but it also increased their win streak dating back to last season as it now stands at a national best 22 matches.

The ‘Canes had no trouble in the first game of the match as they rolled to a 30-21 victory. The next two games, however, didn’t go as planned.

Game 2 saw the Hurricanes edge passed the Owls only by four points. They won by a score of 30-26, but this game brought out a few highlights from freshman middle blocker Karla Johnson, as she showed her skills off with a series of outstanding kills and blocks early in the game.

In the third game of the match, the Owls kept it close the whole time. The ‘Canes were down by one with the score at 26-27, but they roared back with four unanswered points that were capitalized by Elizabeth Tyson’s (Sophomore, outside hitter) game-winning kill. The ‘Canes won 30-27 in a nail-biter, and they improved on their already flawless record.

Senior team leader Marcella Gamarra played exceptional as she registered a team-high 12 kills. She also had a match-high 13 digs on the defensive end.

Valeria Tipiana continued her solid play with a 10-kill effort and .409 attack percentage. Sophomore outside hitter Elizabeth Tyson had a match high .562 kill percentage and 11 kills for the night.

The match also brought out the impressive skills of two freshmen. Middle blocker Karla Johnson had 11 kills with a .450 attack percentage on the night as well as a match high 6 blocks (two solo, four block assists). Setter Margie Young, the team’s leader in assists, added to her season total of 250 with a match high 44 assists for the evening.

The volleyball team is one of only 11 undefeated Division 1 teams in the United States, and they are also one of just three teams in the United States to have over 10 wins with no losses for the season.

The ‘Canes volleyball team continues play on Wednesday, September 25 as they play host to the Hatters of Stetson University at 7:00 P.M. at the Knight Sports Complex.

You can reach Kevan Melchiorre at Kmm102683@aol.com.

The Hurricanes wrapped up spring with a big, as in 6-5 and 290 pounds, surprise on Saturday. Four-st ...

Spring ended Saturday for the Miami Hurricanes, with hundreds of UM football alumni and family membe ...

One day left for the youngsters to show University of Miami coach Mark Richt what they can do. One d ...

Former Miami Norland High star Zach Johnson is coming home for his final year of college basketball. ...

They have been feted and adored for years by football fans from coast to coast. But legends Frank Go ...

The Energy and Conservation Organization was recognized with the 2018 Roberta “Bosey” Fulbright Foot ...

The Brazilian judge whose office spearheaded a massive corruption and bribery investigation said tha ...

The director of the University of Miami's Osher Lifelong Learning Institute, who passed away Ap ...

Business Professor Patricia Abril, and Trustee Stuart Miller receive Faculty Senate's highest h ...

The University of Miami men's tennis team highlighted its Senior Day with a 4-0 sweep against D ...

The No. 17 Miami women's tennis team wrapped up the regular season with its sixth straight vict ...

The University of Miami men's tennis team dropped its final Atlantic Coast Conference contest o ...

Frydlova and Grimstad each record 3-over 75 Sunday; Weber leads UM in 12th place. ...

The Hurricanes' rotation saved its best for last. ...