Venusian Skyline Psychedelic jams and ballads

Venusian Skyline are a youthful quartet specializing in psychedelic indie rock, hailing from Vero Beach, Florida. They bring a unique alternative to the excess of electronica that is currently flooding South Florida. Their songs vary from soft and mellow ballads, to old-fashioned jams a la Pink Floyd in the emo generation. They are a rare find in Florida, and their music displays enough talent to encompass several varieties of texture.

The band’s pianist, Scott Poyer, is one of the most defining additives in the band’s overall style. He took the time to speak with Life & Art about what’s new and exciting in the world of Venusian Skyline.

Q: Venusian Skyline has a unique sound when compared to what is currently on mainstream radio. What bands have had the largest influence on your sound?

VS: There are many things that influence us as a band. Music is very personal to me and the other members. We don’t discuss our musical influences because it tends to devolve into a name-dropping game. As far as this band goes, I would say that other bands aren’t nearly as big of an influence as our desire to simply create beautifully dark music.

Q: Your CD was released by Undecided Records on September 17th. The release was a bit delayed, but are you pleased with the production?

VS: The CD won’t be officially released until October 15th. It was delayed all through September. The reasons are unknown to even us. But, yes, we are quite pleased with the sound of the recording. It sounds very organic, which is something we were striving for.

Q: Speaking of shows, I understand you have a relatively large tour coming up. Who are you playing with?

VS: We have our first tour for this band starting September 27th at the Respectable Street Cafe in West Palm Beach. As far as the other bands, I’m not sure. I know we are playing with Jett Brando for a handful of shows, and there’s another band called Joshua.

Q: What’s the scene like in Vero Beach?

VS: Vero has no musical scene.

Q: That’s unfortunate. I saw you guys in Melbourne last July, with two Christian rock bands. Are you in anyway affiliated with Christian rock, and how do you feel about that?

VS: No, we are not a Christian rock band, and we feel nothing.

Q: Does Venusian Skyline take a political stance on any issue in particular?

VS: A lot of bands say that they feel this way or that about pointless issues with little or no importance. The only thing I could possibly say about Venusian Skyline is that it’s four men on the deck of the Titanic, playing music as it sinks.

Q: Where do you see Venusian Skyline in 3 years?

VS: Hopefully we will be able to produce music full time with no distractions besides playing our songs, and connecting with the people who get it.

Q: If you could tour with any band, living or dead, who would it be?

VS: There are many bands we would love to tour with, both old and new. I would have to say Yanni.

Q: Is there anything you’d like to say to college kids who are into top forty music and/or college kids in general?

VS: If you are a college student into top 40 music I have virtually nothing to say to you.

For more info and mp3s: www.venusianskyline.net.

Kira Wisniewski can be reached at kira@punks.net.

The University of Miami got off to a dream start, but could not hold on against No. 1 and defending ...

March is just around the corner; and University of Miami basketball coach Jim Larrañaga wants his pl ...

Erykah Davenport always hated being The Tall Girl. Every class picture, she was in the back row, tow ...

A little more than two years ago, Larry Scott was serving as the Miami Hurricanes’ interim head coac ...

The college basketball world woke up Friday morning to a bombshell report by Yahoo Sports detailing ...

Student a cappella group BisCaydence wins quarterfinals and advances to the next round in the intern ...

A closer look at the University of Miami's executive vice president for business and finance an ...

The popular Christian minister preached to more people than any other evangelist in history. ...

A vigil on the University of Miami campus, organized by UM students who graduated from Marjory Stone ...

The latest speaker in the popular lecture series at the Rosenstiel School, Jeff Goodell, shared insi ...

Kevin Arreaga's bronze medal in the men's weight throw led the Canes on Friday in Clemson. ...

No. 24 Miami got off to a dream start but could not hold on against No. 1 Florida Friday night, fall ...

The Hurricanes were momentarily slowed down by the first rain delay of the season, but held the Coug ...

The Miami women's basketball team plays its last game of the 2017-18 regular season Sunday at 4 ...

Canes and Eagles play at 2 p.m. Saturday in key ACC matchup. ...