Venusian Skyline Psychedelic jams and ballads

Venusian Skyline are a youthful quartet specializing in psychedelic indie rock, hailing from Vero Beach, Florida. They bring a unique alternative to the excess of electronica that is currently flooding South Florida. Their songs vary from soft and mellow ballads, to old-fashioned jams a la Pink Floyd in the emo generation. They are a rare find in Florida, and their music displays enough talent to encompass several varieties of texture.

The band’s pianist, Scott Poyer, is one of the most defining additives in the band’s overall style. He took the time to speak with Life & Art about what’s new and exciting in the world of Venusian Skyline.

Q: Venusian Skyline has a unique sound when compared to what is currently on mainstream radio. What bands have had the largest influence on your sound?

VS: There are many things that influence us as a band. Music is very personal to me and the other members. We don’t discuss our musical influences because it tends to devolve into a name-dropping game. As far as this band goes, I would say that other bands aren’t nearly as big of an influence as our desire to simply create beautifully dark music.

Q: Your CD was released by Undecided Records on September 17th. The release was a bit delayed, but are you pleased with the production?

VS: The CD won’t be officially released until October 15th. It was delayed all through September. The reasons are unknown to even us. But, yes, we are quite pleased with the sound of the recording. It sounds very organic, which is something we were striving for.

Q: Speaking of shows, I understand you have a relatively large tour coming up. Who are you playing with?

VS: We have our first tour for this band starting September 27th at the Respectable Street Cafe in West Palm Beach. As far as the other bands, I’m not sure. I know we are playing with Jett Brando for a handful of shows, and there’s another band called Joshua.

Q: What’s the scene like in Vero Beach?

VS: Vero has no musical scene.

Q: That’s unfortunate. I saw you guys in Melbourne last July, with two Christian rock bands. Are you in anyway affiliated with Christian rock, and how do you feel about that?

VS: No, we are not a Christian rock band, and we feel nothing.

Q: Does Venusian Skyline take a political stance on any issue in particular?

VS: A lot of bands say that they feel this way or that about pointless issues with little or no importance. The only thing I could possibly say about Venusian Skyline is that it’s four men on the deck of the Titanic, playing music as it sinks.

Q: Where do you see Venusian Skyline in 3 years?

VS: Hopefully we will be able to produce music full time with no distractions besides playing our songs, and connecting with the people who get it.

Q: If you could tour with any band, living or dead, who would it be?

VS: There are many bands we would love to tour with, both old and new. I would have to say Yanni.

Q: Is there anything you’d like to say to college kids who are into top forty music and/or college kids in general?

VS: If you are a college student into top 40 music I have virtually nothing to say to you.

For more info and mp3s: www.venusianskyline.net.

Kira Wisniewski can be reached at kira@punks.net.