Campus Calendar and News Briefs

TODAY

Survive College without Becoming a Statistic- Presented by Janet Lieberman, this is one of the presentations of PASS Week. UC 237 11 a.m. – 12 p.m.

Pathways to Achieving Student Success (PASS) Week is your chance to broaden your horizons through a variety of innovative, fun and free workshops during the week of Sept. 23 – 27. For more information about workshops, prizes and to download your PASS to this exciting week, please visit www.miami.edu/passweek.

SEPTEMBER 25

Dispel the Diet Myths! Learn the truth about weight loss by attending a presentation on “The Science of Weight Loss.” Tony Musto, exercise physiologist at the Wellness Center, will outline how to increase your metabolism through diet and exercise and how to use it effectively to lose weight the scientific way. This free seminar, from 6 – 7 p.m. in the Wellness Center conference room, has limited seating; please call 305-284-5433 to register.

SEPTEMBER 26

Taking on the Real World: Alumni talk about making it “out there.” A PASS Week workshop aimed at helping you learn about post-graduate opportunities. 7 – 8 p.m., Stanford Residential College Classroom.

OCTOBER 2

“Soul-Searching: Neuroscience & Philosophy,” a symposium to explore the relationship between philosophy and the neurosciences, from 6:30 – 8 p.m., Room 148, Eaton Residential College. Featuring Dr. Lynn Durel, Psychology; Dr. Simon Evnine, Philosophy; Dr. Harvey Siegel, Philosophy; Dr. Charles Siewert, Philosophy; and Dr. David Wilson, Biology.

OCTOBER 6

The Society of Bar and Gavel will host its 3rd annual RACE Judicata, a 5K run/walk around the UM campus to raise money for the CHARLEE Family Cares Homes Program. This program provides alternative housing to emotionally challenged children in the Miami-Dade community. For more information, visit the Dean of Students office at the Law School, room 212, or send email to barandgavel@law.miami.edu. Come out and run or walk for a great cause!

OCTOBER 8

The UM Department of Theatre Arts announces Totally Tuesdays, four performances at the Ring Theatre exclusively for students and featuring free admission and free intermission soft drink. The first play, Oct. 8, The Laramie Project, starts at 8 p.m.; theatre doors will open at 7:30 p.m.

OCTOBER 26

The Department of Multicultural Student Affairs, in conjunction with the Princeton Review, invites you to take a FREE Practice Test and Support the UM United Way Campaign! Practice the MCAT, LSAT, GRE, or GMAT. RSVP by calling 800.2Review or visit www.PrincetonReview.com.

Meningococcal Meningitis immunizations are available at the Student Health Center. Although vaccination is available to all students, freshman students who reside in dormitories and other on-campus housing are at increased risk for this rare but potentially serious infection. More information is available at www.miami.edu/student-health.

Elections for Student Government are just around the corner, Sept. 23- 25; mark your calendars and VOTE! To find out more, visit www.miami.edu/student-activities and click on Elections Commission.

Students who DO NOT wish to be listed in the new University of Miami’s Telephone and E-Mail Directories must notify the Registrar, in writing, on or before Friday, Sept. 27.

Tickets are now on sale for this year’s Festival Miami presented by the School of Music which continues virtually non-stop through Saturday, Oct. 26. Call 305-284-4940 to purchase tickets or for additional information.

The Toppel Career Center presents Toppel 101 (formerly Senior Orientation) from Sept. 4 to Nov. 25! This is your opportunity to get acquainted with the career resources you need, whether your plans include employment or graduate study.

Join the Episcopal Church Center in a four-week video and discussion series as they take a look at fundamentalism in the three major monotheistic religions and examine whether there is a link between fundamentalism and violence. Go to the ECC on the corner of Stanford and Levante Sept. 25, Oct. 2 and Oct. 9 at 7:30 p.m.

PSI CHI, the National Honor Society for Psychology, will hold general meetings every other Monday (10/7) in UC 245 at 6 p.m.

Be a part of the President’s 100. Applications are due Oct. 4. For more information visit www.miami.edu/p100.

Information kiosks are finally coming to campus thanks to Facilities and the School of Architecture. Professor Luis Trelles assigned all third-year architecture students to design a campus kiosk.
A committee comprised of professors at the School of Architecture and Vice President of Real Estate Sergio Rodriguez chose three designs from the 60 entries. David Leiberman presented first place winner Abraham Gordon with an award for his design at a short presentation at the School of Architecture. Intended to create an innovative area where students and the University can post announcements related to student activities, events or other “bulletin board” type flyers, the kiosks will be built by spring break and located at the Wellness Center, UC and between the Ashe and McArthur buildings.

From the onset, the Miami Hurricanes' plan was for the Carol Soffer football indoor practice fa ...

Gino DiMare on Tuesday stood in a spot that two men before him had crafted into a pinnacle of succes ...

The NBA Draft is on Thursday, and the buzz around the league is that the University of Miami’s Lonni ...

Former NFL and University of Miami star Kellen Winslow Jr. was arrested Thursday for numerous allege ...

Trevor Darling's perseverance paid off. After not being selected in the NFL Draft, the former U ...

Colder Atlantic temperatures could change hurricane season forecasts, but the trend isn't expec ...

UM neurorehabilitation expert David S. Kushner, M.D., who helps modern patients recover from brain s ...

Gino DiMare was officially introduced as the 10th head baseball coach in program history Tuesday in ...

Jaquan Johnson was named to Athlon Sports' Preseason All-America First Team, while Shaq Quarter ...

An outstanding showing at the USATF Championships earned Symone Mason a trip to the World U20 Champi ...

UM alum returns to lead Canes' MBB strength and conditioning efforts. ...

Amy Deem was recognized for the third time as the ACC Women's Outdoor Track and Field Coach of ...