Campus Calendar and News Briefs

Survive College without Becoming a Statistic- Presented by Janet Lieberman, this is one of the presentations of PASS Week. UC 237 11 a.m. – 12 p.m.

Pathways to Achieving Student Success (PASS) Week is your chance to broaden your horizons through a variety of innovative, fun and free workshops during the week of Sept. 23 – 27. For more information about workshops, prizes and to download your PASS to this exciting week, please visit

Dispel the Diet Myths! Learn the truth about weight loss by attending a presentation on “The Science of Weight Loss.” Tony Musto, exercise physiologist at the Wellness Center, will outline how to increase your metabolism through diet and exercise and how to use it effectively to lose weight the scientific way. This free seminar, from 6 – 7 p.m. in the Wellness Center conference room, has limited seating; please call 305-284-5433 to register.

Taking on the Real World: Alumni talk about making it “out there.” A PASS Week workshop aimed at helping you learn about post-graduate opportunities. 7 – 8 p.m., Stanford Residential College Classroom.

“Soul-Searching: Neuroscience & Philosophy,” a symposium to explore the relationship between philosophy and the neurosciences, from 6:30 – 8 p.m., Room 148, Eaton Residential College. Featuring Dr. Lynn Durel, Psychology; Dr. Simon Evnine, Philosophy; Dr. Harvey Siegel, Philosophy; Dr. Charles Siewert, Philosophy; and Dr. David Wilson, Biology.

The Society of Bar and Gavel will host its 3rd annual RACE Judicata, a 5K run/walk around the UM campus to raise money for the CHARLEE Family Cares Homes Program. This program provides alternative housing to emotionally challenged children in the Miami-Dade community. For more information, visit the Dean of Students office at the Law School, room 212, or send email to Come out and run or walk for a great cause!

The UM Department of Theatre Arts announces Totally Tuesdays, four performances at the Ring Theatre exclusively for students and featuring free admission and free intermission soft drink. The first play, Oct. 8, The Laramie Project, starts at 8 p.m.; theatre doors will open at 7:30 p.m.

The Department of Multicultural Student Affairs, in conjunction with the Princeton Review, invites you to take a FREE Practice Test and Support the UM United Way Campaign! Practice the MCAT, LSAT, GRE, or GMAT. RSVP by calling 800.2Review or visit

Meningococcal Meningitis immunizations are available at the Student Health Center. Although vaccination is available to all students, freshman students who reside in dormitories and other on-campus housing are at increased risk for this rare but potentially serious infection. More information is available at

Elections for Student Government are just around the corner, Sept. 23- 25; mark your calendars and VOTE! To find out more, visit and click on Elections Commission.

Students who DO NOT wish to be listed in the new University of Miami’s Telephone and E-Mail Directories must notify the Registrar, in writing, on or before Friday, Sept. 27.

Tickets are now on sale for this year’s Festival Miami presented by the School of Music which continues virtually non-stop through Saturday, Oct. 26. Call 305-284-4940 to purchase tickets or for additional information.

The Toppel Career Center presents Toppel 101 (formerly Senior Orientation) from Sept. 4 to Nov. 25! This is your opportunity to get acquainted with the career resources you need, whether your plans include employment or graduate study.

Join the Episcopal Church Center in a four-week video and discussion series as they take a look at fundamentalism in the three major monotheistic religions and examine whether there is a link between fundamentalism and violence. Go to the ECC on the corner of Stanford and Levante Sept. 25, Oct. 2 and Oct. 9 at 7:30 p.m.

PSI CHI, the National Honor Society for Psychology, will hold general meetings every other Monday (10/7) in UC 245 at 6 p.m.

Be a part of the President’s 100. Applications are due Oct. 4. For more information visit

Information kiosks are finally coming to campus thanks to Facilities and the School of Architecture. Professor Luis Trelles assigned all third-year architecture students to design a campus kiosk.
A committee comprised of professors at the School of Architecture and Vice President of Real Estate Sergio Rodriguez chose three designs from the 60 entries. David Leiberman presented first place winner Abraham Gordon with an award for his design at a short presentation at the School of Architecture. Intended to create an innovative area where students and the University can post announcements related to student activities, events or other “bulletin board” type flyers, the kiosks will be built by spring break and located at the Wellness Center, UC and between the Ashe and McArthur buildings.

UM spring practice begins Tuesday with heavy focus on the quarterback, with N’Kosi Perry and Jarren ...

It was just two and a half short months ago that the Miami Hurricanes walked off the field at Hard R ...

We are seeing another sign of a football program’s growing strength and maturation as Mark Richt unf ...

A six-pack of UM notes on a Friday: ▪ Four-star Oregon-based quarterback Michael Johnson Jr. told Ri ...

On the eve of her team’s NCAA Tournament opener, University of Miami coach Katie Meier took the oppo ...

Keeping a 30-year tradition, graduate students organize a fun-filled Hurricane Challenge for youngst ...

From bringing communities together to understanding the impacts of urbanization on the groundwater s ...

Novelist Jennine Capó Crucet’s book talk on March 20 explores belonging, identity, and what it means ...

Musical theatre students spent quality time learning (and laughing) with Avenue Q co-creator Jeff Ma ...

The University of Miami takes concrete steps to become the hemispheric university as it builds a rel ...

Miami's offense shook off a slow start to the series, and the Hurricanes departed Durham Bulls ...

View some of the best pictures from the No. 31 Miami women's tennis team's 5-2 victory ove ...

The No. 31 Miami women's tennis team posted its seventh win in the past eight outings by toppin ...

The University of Miami men's tennis team was just a point away from its first true road victor ...

The University of Miami rowing team closed out its spring opener at the 2018 Oak Ridge Cardinal Invi ...