Sugar Cult Interview:

Sugarcult can’t stand when people attach labels to their music. Fortunately for them, their live show makes labeling refreshingly difficult. Unlike their heterogeneous sound, which mixes a speedy confection of punk and pop rock, the members of Sugarcult can be classified as regular rock and roll musicians and unapologetic “wild childs.” Witnessing them stir up an audience on stage or speaking with them after a show unveils a certain amount of truth within their constant emphasis that the music is “for the fans.”

Or as lead guitarist Marko 72 exaggerates, “It’s a band and its fans against the world.”

While it may sound like fresh spin on an age-old quote, Sugarcult earned credibility points last Sunday at Zetafest, exemplifying a fun-minded devotion to their fans. Singer Tim Pagnotta didn’t seize rocking out, even when a bottle thrown from the audience cut the bridge of his nose, streaming blood down his face and into his denim jacket.

The mostly teenage crowd was left sugar struck by a set that blazed through almost every track from their debut album,Start Static, including the singles, “Stuck in America” and “Bouncing off the Walls.”

Marko, Pagnotta and bassist Airin, alongside a replacement drummer (original member Ben Davis missed two dates due to a family wedding), spent nearly two hours signing autographs, taking pictures and getting to know their fans after an hour long, bloody good set.

Sugarcult formed in Santa Barbara, California in 1998, releasing two independent albums before signing with Ultimatum Records in 2001. Soon after recording and leaving school (Marko graduated from UCSB and Airin from UCLA), they hit the road and have been on tour for more than 14 months.

“We are really lucky to do this and we won’t take it for granted,” says Marko (or his robot), “It is a fun job to have.”

The band says that its major influences are Elvis Costello, Cheap Trick and the Clash. Their newest single, “Pretty Girl,” is currently gaining nice amounts of airplay on college radio. However, the band remains humble and feels that any imagined success has been achieved.

“It all depends on your definition,” says Marko. “Our main goal was to write songs and play shows, so we have been successful for years.”

Sugarcult’s near future consists of more life on the road. “We use each other to get to the top,” says Marko, “we rely on our Sharpies and guitars because that’s what has taken us so far.”

For more info: www.sugarcult.com.

Diana Pastrana can be reached at godess_diana@hotmail.com.

Dewan Huell will be wearing green and orange for at least another year. Huell announced Saturday on ...

Their bats and gloves and baseball skills weren't enough Thursday night. Now, the Miami Hurrica ...

Florida State's recruiting trail hit Georgia last week, and while the #Tribe19 class is a focal ...

It's almost summer, time for college football players to wind down and chill out — every now an ...

Alumna and faculty member shares lessons and learning about racial identity in free parent community ...

Voters head to the polls in a historic election to choose the country’s next president. ...

From boathouse to marine research powerhouse, the Rosenstiel School of Marine and Atmospheric Scienc ...

The Canes wrapped up a stormy weekend at the NCAA East Preliminary with their final two qualifiers f ...

Miami native pulls name out of NBA Draft process. ...

Stormy weather in the Gulf of Mexico may have delayed Friday's competition, but wind and rain c ...

Last season, Miami Hurricanes fans created, quite simply, one of the best home-field advantages in c ...

University of Miami senior Christian Langmo and freshman Adria Soriano were edged by Florida's ...