Sports Briefs

Volleyball
University of Miami volleyball player Margie Young (Santa Monica, Calif./Marymount HS) was selected Monday as the Big East Conference Co-Rookie of the Week. Young tied a Big East record when she put up 73 assists in the Hurricanes’ 3-2 victory over Florida State. The sophomore setter had a total of 159 assists and 15 digs during the course of UM’s three-match romp in the Florida International Fall Volleyball Classic. Miami also defeated cross-city rival Florida International 3-0 and IUPUI 3-0. Young’s performance helped the Hurricanes’ extend their win streak to 21 (10 this season).

Golf
University of Miami junior Camilla Hilland (Lommedalen, Norway) fired a second-round 75 to finish in a tie for fourth-place at the Lady Kat Invitational in Lexington, KY last weekend. Third-round action was cancelled due to inclement weather. Hilland, the 2002 NCAA Independent Player of the Year, finished with a two-round total of 147, three strokes behind tournament champion Violeta Retamoza of Tennessee (70-74-144). As a team the Hurricanes shot 621 over the two rounds to finish sixth. Tennessee won the team title posting a two-round score of 604. Miami junior Jazmin Cataldo (Asuncion. Paraguay) finished in a tie for 17th (78-76-154) while senior Dominique Gagnon (La Romana, Dominican Republic) finished in a tie for 43rd (76-85-161). The Hurricanes return to action October 11-12 at the Beacon Woods Invitational in Bayonet Point, FL.

Swimming and Diving
US Diving selected University of Miami diving coach Randy Ableman for its Phil Boggs Award last week at its annual meeting in Dallas. Ableman, a 1983 graduate of the University of Iowa, has led the Hurricanes’ diving team since 1989. He was a 1980 Olympian and a member of the national team from 1978 to 1984. “I was a little bit shocked, but I felt honored (when I heard that I had received the award,” coach Ableman said. “Phil Boggs was one of my idols growing up. I was just honored that the members of US Diving had voted for me.” Under his tutelage, the Hurricane diving team has sustained a tradition of National Title producers as well as Olympians.

The University of Miami got off to a dream start, but could not hold on against No. 1 and defending ...

March is just around the corner; and University of Miami basketball coach Jim Larrañaga wants his pl ...

Erykah Davenport always hated being The Tall Girl. Every class picture, she was in the back row, tow ...

A little more than two years ago, Larry Scott was serving as the Miami Hurricanes’ interim head coac ...

The college basketball world woke up Friday morning to a bombshell report by Yahoo Sports detailing ...

Student a cappella group BisCaydence wins quarterfinals and advances to the next round in the intern ...

A closer look at the University of Miami's executive vice president for business and finance an ...

The popular Christian minister preached to more people than any other evangelist in history. ...

A vigil on the University of Miami campus, organized by UM students who graduated from Marjory Stone ...

The latest speaker in the popular lecture series at the Rosenstiel School, Jeff Goodell, shared insi ...

Kevin Arreaga's bronze medal in the men's weight throw led the Canes on Friday in Clemson. ...

No. 24 Miami got off to a dream start but could not hold on against No. 1 Florida Friday night, fall ...

The Hurricanes were momentarily slowed down by the first rain delay of the season, but held the Coug ...

The Miami women's basketball team plays its last game of the 2017-18 regular season Sunday at 4 ...

Canes and Eagles play at 2 p.m. Saturday in key ACC matchup. ...