Senate clears the air for us

We applaud student government in their endeavor to keep students’ lungs free of second hand smoke. Thanks to a new bill passed in the Student Government Senate, resident students will have to take a walk if they want to smoke. The air will soon be cleared around the dorms as a 25-foot non-smoking buffer is placed around University residence halls. Students will now be able to come and go without involuntarily inhaling half a pack of Marlboros.

While we can already hear the cries of injustice squealing out of the hacking lungs of chain smokers, we strongly believe the right to breathe clean air should supersede smokers’ desires to puff in close vicinity to home.

There is no doubt that students should still have the right to smoke, but there should be a higher level of consideration given to where they smoke. This new bill means students will no longer have to choose between smoking and second-hand smoking.

View photos as Miami Hurricanes Coach Jim Morris ends 41-year career on Saturday, May 19, 2018, at M ...

The sullen, charcoal sky opened with a vengeance Saturday afternoon at Mark Light Field in Coral Gab ...

Hurricanes football aficionados: How does another College GameDay at the University of Miami campus ...

Get out your calendars once again, UM football fans. The Atlantic Coast Conference has announced the ...

Lonnie Walker IV, so eager to begin his professional basketball career that he left the University o ...

Over his more than two decades at the U, the dean of students from 1976-1989 always put students fir ...

The final Sea Secrets lecture at the Rosenstiel School examines the biofluorescence of marine organi ...

Maintenance mechanic Milton Davis has kept UM housing humming for decades. ...

After 25 years, head coach Jim Morris had just one request for the pregame festivities for his final ...

In honor of Jim Morris' final regular season game as head coach at Miami on Saturday, May 19, t ...

Sophomore righthander Evan McKendry struck out 11 to help lead the Hurricanes to their 10thstraight ...

Check out over 60 of the top pictures from the Miami women's tennis team's matchup with to ...

Due to inclement weather expected in the area, the Miami baseball program announced game time for Fr ...