Life and Art Calendar

Tonight
Boogie down at the Rat for Happy Hour from 4:30-9 p.m., then shake it up on the dance floor as a DJ spins from 9-12 p.m.

Saturday, September 21
Vero Beach rock group Venusian Skyline kick off their U.S. tour at Piccadilly Garden, 35 NE 40TH St, for the weekly Poplife party. Doors open at 11 p.m. 18 and up are welcome. Call 305-573-8211 for more info.

Sunday, September 22
Mortician, Scar Culture and Malignant play the Culture Room, 3045 N Federal Hwy, Fort Lauderdale. Show starts at 7:30 p.m. Call 954-564-1074.

Instead of spending a lazy Sunday afternoon, explore some new art and listen to vicious MC Battles at OBJEX artspace, 500 NW 24th St #F. Counterpoint Garments and Botanica del Jibaro present “Verbal Assault” with performances by Hashbrown, Algorithm, Serum, Mindshift, Wreckonize and Flow Official, among others. Early comers can register for the battle, so arrive at 6 p.m. sharp when the show starts. For more info, contact 305-576-6551.

Tuesday, September 24
Goonies plays at the Cosford-time TBA

Saturday, September 28
Bhakti Baxter, founder of Miami’s alternative art space, The House, opens his first solo museum exhibit at the Museum of Contemporary Art, 770 NE 125th St, North Miami. The project will evolve on sight as the artist uses a variety of natural and constructed.

Reminder: Comedic actors and talented musicians or bands needed for Canes Comedy Club. Contact Josh at 954-336-1191.

Sunday, September 29
Third Annual Arango Design Award Ceremony, which recognizes emerging contemporary designers in South Florida, takes place at the Miami Art Museum, 101 W. Flagler St., at 3:30 p.m. Then Design is One lecture at 4 with leading designers, Lella and Massimo Vignelli. If you don’t feel worn out by then, check out the photography on display by Timothy Greenfield-Sanders. Call 305-375-3000.

Dewan Huell will be wearing green and orange for at least another year. Huell announced Saturday on ...

Their bats and gloves and baseball skills weren't enough Thursday night. Now, the Miami Hurrica ...

Florida State's recruiting trail hit Georgia last week, and while the #Tribe19 class is a focal ...

It's almost summer, time for college football players to wind down and chill out — every now an ...

Alumna and faculty member shares lessons and learning about racial identity in free parent community ...

Voters head to the polls in a historic election to choose the country’s next president. ...

From boathouse to marine research powerhouse, the Rosenstiel School of Marine and Atmospheric Scienc ...

The Canes wrapped up a stormy weekend at the NCAA East Preliminary with their final two qualifiers f ...

Miami native pulls name out of NBA Draft process. ...

Stormy weather in the Gulf of Mexico may have delayed Friday's competition, but wind and rain c ...

Last season, Miami Hurricanes fans created, quite simply, one of the best home-field advantages in c ...

University of Miami senior Christian Langmo and freshman Adria Soriano were edged by Florida's ...