Fraternity recruits doubled

It was altogether a record-breaking recruitment.

Over 300 men attended the Greek Forum held on August 29 and the number of participants involved in rush more than doubled from last year,” said Mike Johnston, vice president of fraternity enrollment and student government president.

“One thing to keep in mind is that the majority of our new incoming freshmen are very involved and ambitious students, partly because of the high entrance standards that have been placed on them,” Johnston said.

The Greek Life Barbecue, held during Orientation Week, was the most fun event, Johnston said.

“It was such a relaxed atmosphere. The kids could see the fraternities in their own air,” Johnston said. “And, it was the only event combined with the sororities.”

Last Sunday-Bid Day-the recruits were given envelopes indicating which fraternities had accepted them. The new pledges then proceeded to sign the applicable paperwork and declare which fraternities they decided to join.

Later, at the Rock, each pledge declared individually their chosen fraternity of the 10 involved-Alpha Epsilon Pi, Alpha Sigma Pi, Kappa Sigma, Lambda Chi Alpha, Phi Delta Theta, Kappa Sigma, Sigma Alpha Epsilon, Sigma Alpha Mu, Sigma Chi, Sigma Phi Epsilon and Zeta Beta Tau.

“I see becoming part of a fraternity as a great way to get into different activities, make friends, and really help out our community,” said Chris Duffy, a freshman and Pi Kappa Alpha pledge.

“I really took rush as an opportunity to figure out which type of guys I wanted to associate myself with,” said John Victor, freshman and Sigma Chi pledge. “I’m really glad I got a chance to be able to get the right vibe from the right group of guys.”

Sigma Alpha Epsilon [SAE], an interest group that is in the process of meeting the necessary requirements to become a Florida Alpha Colony, was the only organization involved that was not a fraternity.

“Basically, in a few weeks, we’re going to be a chapter without a charter,” said Gabriel Santamarina, SAE group member. “Becoming a colony is one small accomplishment that will put us one step closer to our ultimate goal of becoming a fraternity.”

“We are really excited to be on our way towards becoming a Greek organization on campus,” said Roberto Castro, SAE Rush Chair. “We’re looking forward to working closely with all of the Greek organizations on campus and hope to be a valuable asset to the university and to the surrounding community.”

On Sunday the American Greek Letter Organization [AGLO] will host a mandatory new member symposium to educate the pledges on what it takes to be Greek.

“How do you want to experience college? If you go Greek it’s the only organization that you’ll be in for the rest of your life,” Johnston said.

Darrell Langham, the redshirt junior receiver who caused an uproar among Miami Hurricanes fans the p ...

This news release just in from the University of Miami, another impressive class about to be inducte ...

The University of Miami men’s basketball team got a welcome dose of good news on Monday night. Verno ...

After a disheartening week of practice injury-wise following the University of Miami’s victory at Fl ...

University of Miami’s highly-touted freshman Lonnie Walker, who had surgery for a torn right meniscu ...

Darrell Langham has been a hero twice this season, but his path to prominence has been a long one. ...

The University of Miami Sports Hall of Fame has announced the Class of 2018 inductees for the 50th A ...

Senior diver Wally Layland was recognized for her standout performance at the SMU Classic with ACC C ...

University of Miami freshman Lonnie Walker IV was among 20 players named to the watch list for the 2 ...

The Miami Hurricanes will begin preparation for the 2018 season when fall practice commences Wed., O ...