VP for Student Affairs awarded “Woman of the Year” by PKA

The 35 brothers of Pi Kappa Alpha fraternity have a tight bond with their woman of the year. They could be helping her around the house one day and the next they will spend watching football on her couch. She plays a special role to this group.

“She is the mother figure that our fraternity needs,” said PKA President Marc Shuster.

On the eve of September 11, PKA held the Athletic Scholarship Award Ceremony. There, they presented their first ever “Woman of the Year Award” to the Vice President for Student Affairs, Dr. Patricia Whitely.

The VP for Student Affairs handles most everything that happens outside of a classroom. Whether the issue is housing, Greek life, multicultural student affairs, the University Center or discipline, there is a good chance that she has an association with nearly every student on campus. And it doesn’t stop there.

Whitely also speaks to high school seniors on esteem and goal-setting issues as well as other female administrators who wish to become involved with student affairs on their campus.

“I was very, very surprised tonight,” Whitely said. “To be honored by a fraternity is a really neat thing.”

Nominated by the University of Miami’s Women’s Commission, Patricia Whitely is also slated to receive a certificate of achievement. This award, given by the Florida Commission on the Status of Women, will be given because of her work in creating the Sexual Assault Response Team as well as the Women’s Resource Center at UM.

Other notable mentions for the evening: George Lewis received the Gino Torretta Athletic Scholarship Award for his outstanding work as a student as well as an athlete. This scholarship is given to PKA freshmen who best reflect the 1992 Heisman trophy winner.

The question came straight at Ahmmon Richards, like a tight spiral. And this time, he didn’t hesitat ...

1. DOLPHINS: Miami seeks revenge vs. hated, Stinkin' Jets: Dolphins host Jets Sunday with Miami ...

Notes and observations on UM’s 27-19 win against Syracuse: • A UM source said Mark Richt seemed more ...

View photos from the Syracuse at Miami game Saturday, Oct. 21, 2017, at Hard Rock Stadium in Miami G ...

Kolby Bird had a career-high 21 kills, but the Hurricanes dropped a five-set battle to Notre Dame on ...

The Miami soccer team recognized its four seniors Sunday afternoon and then dropped a hard-fought 2- ...