Volunteer Week encourages service

Volunteer Awareness Week kicked off September 9 and will run throughout the week with different events scheduled on campus.

On Monday members from Volunteer Services were in the breezeway handing out flyers and USA Unity Ribbons, a commemoration to the victims of 9/11.

Tuesday allowed student organizations from Volunteer Services a chance to reach out for new members. Organizations such a LINK and Kids and Culture were in the breezeway educating students about their group and recruiting new members.

LINK Service Chair Marc O’Connor was on hand to answer any questions about the organization including a program called “Feel Good Friday.”

“The program is a chance for a group of students to get together and volunteer,” O’Connor said. “We go to Jackson Memorial and Ronald McDonald House and a lot of other places to spend some time with people who really need us.”

Wednesday saw the Non-Profit Agency Fair in the lower lounge of the UC.

Over 60 non-profit organizations in South Florida were on hand.

They provided information to eager students about everything from mentoring and tutoring to acting and political campaigning.

The Non-Violence Project of Miami was also there to ask students to sign a peace pledge against violence.

Tony Sowers, Non-Violence Project representative, was pleased with the turn-out.

“I’m very excited about the enthusiasm I have received from all of the students I’ve spoken with,” Sowers said.

Lauren Diamond, from the Kristi House, expressed the same feelings.

“The students from UM are very dedicated, the children we work with love them,” she said.

Other organizations that participated in the Non-Profit Agency Fair included Planned Parenthood, Americorps and Actors Playhouse.

Thursday provided an opportunity for interested students to take part in Disaster Relief Training.

The American Red Cross provided the training to enable students to be called to assist in case of a disaster such as a hurricane or flood.

The training provided students with the knowledge to assist in activities such as clean up efforts.

Today, interested students can still participate in Feel Good Friday.

Also, LINK will be meeting at the Rock at 3:30 p.m. to volunteer at Miami Rescue Mission, Ronald McDonald House and St. Alban’s Child Enrichment Center. All students are welcomed and encouraged to attend.

For those who missed out on the opportunity to sign up during Volunteer Awareness Week, the VSC in room 240 of the University Center can provide all of the information necessary to begin volunteering.

The VSC has a database with over 400 agencies in South Florida as well as over 20 organizations on campus.

“Time shouldn’t be a problem, even an hour a week. Every organization has a different schedule; one can fit into your schedule,” said Leandra Medina, Coordinator for the Butler Volunteer Services Center. “Most importantly, volunteering can allow students to reach out and help their community. Volunteer Awareness Week is merely a way to get students’ attention about all of the available opportunities.”

The question came straight at Ahmmon Richards, like a tight spiral. And this time, he didn’t hesitat ...

1. DOLPHINS: Miami seeks revenge vs. hated, Stinkin' Jets: Dolphins host Jets Sunday with Miami ...

Notes and observations on UM’s 27-19 win against Syracuse: • A UM source said Mark Richt seemed more ...

View photos from the Syracuse at Miami game Saturday, Oct. 21, 2017, at Hard Rock Stadium in Miami G ...

The Miami women's tennis team split its eight matches on its second day of competition at the I ...

Syracuse visits Miami on Saturday, October 21st at Hard Rock Stadium. ...