Volunteer Week encourages service

Volunteer Awareness Week kicked off September 9 and will run throughout the week with different events scheduled on campus.

On Monday members from Volunteer Services were in the breezeway handing out flyers and USA Unity Ribbons, a commemoration to the victims of 9/11.

Tuesday allowed student organizations from Volunteer Services a chance to reach out for new members. Organizations such a LINK and Kids and Culture were in the breezeway educating students about their group and recruiting new members.

LINK Service Chair Marc O’Connor was on hand to answer any questions about the organization including a program called “Feel Good Friday.”

“The program is a chance for a group of students to get together and volunteer,” O’Connor said. “We go to Jackson Memorial and Ronald McDonald House and a lot of other places to spend some time with people who really need us.”

Wednesday saw the Non-Profit Agency Fair in the lower lounge of the UC.

Over 60 non-profit organizations in South Florida were on hand.

They provided information to eager students about everything from mentoring and tutoring to acting and political campaigning.

The Non-Violence Project of Miami was also there to ask students to sign a peace pledge against violence.

Tony Sowers, Non-Violence Project representative, was pleased with the turn-out.

“I’m very excited about the enthusiasm I have received from all of the students I’ve spoken with,” Sowers said.

Lauren Diamond, from the Kristi House, expressed the same feelings.

“The students from UM are very dedicated, the children we work with love them,” she said.

Other organizations that participated in the Non-Profit Agency Fair included Planned Parenthood, Americorps and Actors Playhouse.

Thursday provided an opportunity for interested students to take part in Disaster Relief Training.

The American Red Cross provided the training to enable students to be called to assist in case of a disaster such as a hurricane or flood.

The training provided students with the knowledge to assist in activities such as clean up efforts.

Today, interested students can still participate in Feel Good Friday.

Also, LINK will be meeting at the Rock at 3:30 p.m. to volunteer at Miami Rescue Mission, Ronald McDonald House and St. Alban’s Child Enrichment Center. All students are welcomed and encouraged to attend.

For those who missed out on the opportunity to sign up during Volunteer Awareness Week, the VSC in room 240 of the University Center can provide all of the information necessary to begin volunteering.

The VSC has a database with over 400 agencies in South Florida as well as over 20 organizations on campus.

“Time shouldn’t be a problem, even an hour a week. Every organization has a different schedule; one can fit into your schedule,” said Leandra Medina, Coordinator for the Butler Volunteer Services Center. “Most importantly, volunteering can allow students to reach out and help their community. Volunteer Awareness Week is merely a way to get students’ attention about all of the available opportunities.”

The college football season doesn't begin until the end of August, but that never stops media o ...

There were indications, even before Lonnie Walker IV was selected No. 18 by the San Antonio Spurs in ...

Add another player to the Miami Hurricanes' 2019 recruiting class. Defensive end Jahfari Harvey ...

From the onset, the Miami Hurricanes' plan was for the Carol Soffer football indoor practice fa ...

Gino DiMare on Tuesday stood in a spot that two men before him had crafted into a pinnacle of succes ...

At the University of Miami, employee recognition comes in many forms. ...

Community art project encourages the public to explore the vibrant downtown area of Coral Gables and ...

It appears that his third run for the presidency will be successful as he distances himself from the ...

The University of Miami volleyball program will host nine ACC home matches and the Sunshine State Ch ...

Walker picked 18th overall by San Antonio Spurs, Brown 42nd by Detroit Pistons. ...

Gino DiMare was introduced as the 10th head baseball coach in Canes' history. ...

The University of Miami women's golf team had three individuals selected to the 2018 Atlantic C ...

Haley Templeton is set to travel to Detroit, Mich., on Friday to train and compete with the U.S. Wom ...