SG senate elections drawing near

Campaigning for student government elections will begin September 17 and voting will take place September 23-25 in the U.C. Breezeway with run-offs taking place September 30- October 2.

“We’re really expecting a good turnout this year,” said Irene Ricano, senior and Elections Week Manager for the Elections Commission. “We’re putting up banners and trying to encourage as many students as possible to go out and vote; we’re very optimistic.”

Candidates will be running for senator positions that will represent the residential colleges, commuter areas, fraternity row and other factions of students on campus. Each student will be represented at least 3 times according to where they live, their year in school and their academic major.

“I think I’m voting this year just so that I can actually complain when I don’t like something on campus,” said Jeffe Benea, junior. “Last year I didn’t vote so I really didn’t have any room to talk.”

However, not all students seem enthusiastic about the elections.

“I didn’t vote last year and I’m not going to vote this year,” said a second year freshman who requested to remain anonymous. “I think this is all just one big popularity contest.”

Despite the lack of involvement by some students, the Elections Commission encourages everyone to vote during election week.

“The senate elections are just as important as the presidential elections. The senators represent the students and their interests,” said Melissa Matos, Chair of the Elections Commission. “It’s important that we all come out and vote to show our support for the candidates.”

“We really need volunteers for the Elections Commission so that we can get the word out about the candidates and the elections,” said Ricano. “We need as many people as possible to join the committee so we can set up more polling sites and computers for voting at alternate locations on campus.”

According to the Elections Commission, all candidates must attend an informational meeting on September 16.

Applications for Senator positions are available until September 13 at 5 p.m. for all positions. All students are allowed to run for a Senate seat.

Applications may be downloaded from www.miami.edu/student-activities and must be turned in to Renee Dickens Callan in the Student Activities Office located in the University Center, Rm. 209.

The Hurricanes wrapped up spring with a big, as in 6-5 and 290 pounds, surprise on Saturday. Four-st ...

Spring ended Saturday for the Miami Hurricanes, with hundreds of UM football alumni and family membe ...

One day left for the youngsters to show University of Miami coach Mark Richt what they can do. One d ...

Former Miami Norland High star Zach Johnson is coming home for his final year of college basketball. ...

They have been feted and adored for years by football fans from coast to coast. But legends Frank Go ...

The Energy and Conservation Organization was recognized with the 2018 Roberta “Bosey” Fulbright Foot ...

The Brazilian judge whose office spearheaded a massive corruption and bribery investigation said tha ...

The director of the University of Miami's Osher Lifelong Learning Institute, who passed away Ap ...

Business Professor Patricia Abril, and Trustee Stuart Miller receive Faculty Senate's highest h ...

Miami's women's track and field team entered the top-15 in the latest edition of the NCAA ...

Junior righthander Andrew Cabezas was recognized with ACC Pitcher of the Week honors after an outsta ...

Hurricanes record their best round of tournament on Monday. ...

The University of Miami men's tennis team highlighted its Senior Day with a 4-0 sweep against D ...

The No. 17 Miami women's tennis team wrapped up the regular season with its sixth straight vict ...