SG senate elections drawing near

Campaigning for student government elections will begin September 17 and voting will take place September 23-25 in the U.C. Breezeway with run-offs taking place September 30- October 2.

“We’re really expecting a good turnout this year,” said Irene Ricano, senior and Elections Week Manager for the Elections Commission. “We’re putting up banners and trying to encourage as many students as possible to go out and vote; we’re very optimistic.”

Candidates will be running for senator positions that will represent the residential colleges, commuter areas, fraternity row and other factions of students on campus. Each student will be represented at least 3 times according to where they live, their year in school and their academic major.

“I think I’m voting this year just so that I can actually complain when I don’t like something on campus,” said Jeffe Benea, junior. “Last year I didn’t vote so I really didn’t have any room to talk.”

However, not all students seem enthusiastic about the elections.

“I didn’t vote last year and I’m not going to vote this year,” said a second year freshman who requested to remain anonymous. “I think this is all just one big popularity contest.”

Despite the lack of involvement by some students, the Elections Commission encourages everyone to vote during election week.

“The senate elections are just as important as the presidential elections. The senators represent the students and their interests,” said Melissa Matos, Chair of the Elections Commission. “It’s important that we all come out and vote to show our support for the candidates.”

“We really need volunteers for the Elections Commission so that we can get the word out about the candidates and the elections,” said Ricano. “We need as many people as possible to join the committee so we can set up more polling sites and computers for voting at alternate locations on campus.”

According to the Elections Commission, all candidates must attend an informational meeting on September 16.

Applications for Senator positions are available until September 13 at 5 p.m. for all positions. All students are allowed to run for a Senate seat.

Applications may be downloaded from www.miami.edu/student-activities and must be turned in to Renee Dickens Callan in the Student Activities Office located in the University Center, Rm. 209.

University of Miami men’s basketball coach Jim Larrañaga, his face showing the strain of an ongoing ...

The No. 8 Hurricanes,  20 1/2-point favorites over next opponent North Carolina, are still one of on ...

Kudos to the two newest Atlantic Coast Conference Players of the Week: tight end Christopher Herndon ...

A University of Miami Ph.D. student in the Department of History sheds light on the dark history of ...

The Hurricanes may be young, but they have the talent and poise to make a deep run in March. ...

Miami tight end Christopher Herndon and linebacker Michael Pinckney were among those recognized with ...