A split decision in Tallahassee

The No. 23rd ranked University of Miami women’s soccer team shut out Louisiana State, 1-0, Friday afternoon in the Seminole Invitational in Tallahassee, Fla. The Hurricanes (3-0-0) moved into the Soccer Buzz top 25 ranked No. 23 in the nation and fourth in the Southeast Region.

Junior Allison McWhinney scored the game-winning goal for UM in the 82nd minute of the match. McWhinney scored her first goal of the season on a pass from sophomore Andrea Radice.

Miami took 16 shots in the match, including nine shots on goal. LSU took a total of six shots with only one shot on goal. Senior goalkeeper Rachel Elsby played all 90 minutes in goal for UM making one save and allowing no goals. The Tigers goalie Robyn DesOrmeaux made eight saves on the day and allowed one goal in 90 minutes of action.

On Sunday, however, the team fell to Missouri, 1-0, in a hard fought battle concluding the Seminole Invitational in Tallahassee, Fla. Sunday afternoon. The Hurricanes lost their first match of the season falling to 3-1-0 overall, while the Tigers improve to 2-1-1.

Missouri netted the only goal of the match in the 12th minute of play scoring on a penalty kick. Karen Bauer took the PK for the Tigers and scored launching a goal into the bottom right corner of the net. With 12 minutes to left play in the first half Miami netted a goal, however, the play was ruled unofficial as UM was called offsides.

The Hurricanes finished the match with 26 shots, including 11 shots on goal. The Tigers took 10 total shots; five of the 10 were on goal. Missouri goalkeeper Megan Duncan made 11 saves in 90 minutes of action.

Miami goalkeeper Rachel Elsby played the entire match in goal allowing one goal and making four saves.

The Hurricanes are back in action Wednesday night hosting No. 15 FSU at 7 p.m.

-Information Provided by the Sports Information Department

Darrell Langham, the redshirt junior receiver who caused an uproar among Miami Hurricanes fans the p ...

This news release just in from the University of Miami, another impressive class about to be inducte ...

The University of Miami men’s basketball team got a welcome dose of good news on Monday night. Verno ...

After a disheartening week of practice injury-wise following the University of Miami’s victory at Fl ...

University of Miami’s highly-touted freshman Lonnie Walker, who had surgery for a torn right meniscu ...

Darrell Langham has been a hero twice this season, but his path to prominence has been a long one. ...

The University of Miami Sports Hall of Fame has announced the Class of 2018 inductees for the 50th A ...

Senior diver Wally Layland was recognized for her standout performance at the SMU Classic with ACC C ...

University of Miami freshman Lonnie Walker IV was among 20 players named to the watch list for the 2 ...

The Miami Hurricanes will begin preparation for the 2018 season when fall practice commences Wed., O ...