A split decision in Tallahassee

The No. 23rd ranked University of Miami women’s soccer team shut out Louisiana State, 1-0, Friday afternoon in the Seminole Invitational in Tallahassee, Fla. The Hurricanes (3-0-0) moved into the Soccer Buzz top 25 ranked No. 23 in the nation and fourth in the Southeast Region.

Junior Allison McWhinney scored the game-winning goal for UM in the 82nd minute of the match. McWhinney scored her first goal of the season on a pass from sophomore Andrea Radice.

Miami took 16 shots in the match, including nine shots on goal. LSU took a total of six shots with only one shot on goal. Senior goalkeeper Rachel Elsby played all 90 minutes in goal for UM making one save and allowing no goals. The Tigers goalie Robyn DesOrmeaux made eight saves on the day and allowed one goal in 90 minutes of action.

On Sunday, however, the team fell to Missouri, 1-0, in a hard fought battle concluding the Seminole Invitational in Tallahassee, Fla. Sunday afternoon. The Hurricanes lost their first match of the season falling to 3-1-0 overall, while the Tigers improve to 2-1-1.

Missouri netted the only goal of the match in the 12th minute of play scoring on a penalty kick. Karen Bauer took the PK for the Tigers and scored launching a goal into the bottom right corner of the net. With 12 minutes to left play in the first half Miami netted a goal, however, the play was ruled unofficial as UM was called offsides.

The Hurricanes finished the match with 26 shots, including 11 shots on goal. The Tigers took 10 total shots; five of the 10 were on goal. Missouri goalkeeper Megan Duncan made 11 saves in 90 minutes of action.

Miami goalkeeper Rachel Elsby played the entire match in goal allowing one goal and making four saves.

The Hurricanes are back in action Wednesday night hosting No. 15 FSU at 7 p.m.

-Information Provided by the Sports Information Department

Miami director of track and field/cross country Amy Deem's incredible career earned her a place ...

Check out the latest edition of Hurricane Magazine. ...

Members from the Miami track and field team spent the afternoon at the Boys and Girls Club in Miami ...

UM administrators, coaches and alums took part in yesterday's allCanes Holiday Shopping Spree f ...