Surefire Album Standouts for the Fall

Album: Sea Change
Release Date: September 24
Beck returns with a quieter folk sound similar to 1998’s Mutations. Expect intimate lyrics and the old school rock poetry influences of artists like Joni Mitchell and Leonard Cohen. Songs such as “The Golden Age” and “Round the Bend,” are drenched with acoustic guitars, orchestras, and pianos. This is the sleepy appetizer to his main course follow up to 1999’s Midnite Vultures.

Badly Drawn Boy
Album: Have You Fed the Fish
Release Date: October 22
Partially recorded in the same room where the Beach Boys conceived their classic Pet Sounds, Damon Gough tries a new classical, yet danceable approach, without leaving behind his acclaimed tender sounds.

Foo Fighters
Album: One by One
Release Date: October 22
Led by harder hitting tracks like “Overdrive” and the already released “All My Life,” Dave Grohl and company take their music back to the grittier rock of the band’s breakthrough debut. Dimmer, more experimental sounds will keep it from bordering on grunge revival. Look for Queens of the Stone Age guitarist Brian May to return Grohl’s guest drumming favor on one track.

Ryan Adams
Album: Demolition
Release Date: September 24
Girls’ favorite alt-country prince returns with a collection of demos and unreleased tracks recorded in different studios around the globe. Soon after the release of Demolition, Adams plans to record the sequel to his critically and commercially triumphant Gold.

Album: Shaman
Release Date: October 22
Sticking to the same recipe that made his last LP, Supernatural, a multiple Grammy winner, Carlos Santana enlists current pop artists, like Michelle Branch, P.O.D., and Dido on his newest release. Highlights include the soothing “Game of Love” and “Feels Like Fire.”

Tori Amos
Album: Scarlet’s Walk
Release Date: October 19
These angry yet gentle piano and chorus driven songs were recorded at Amos’ studio in Cornwall, England. Fans can expect more of the personal and emotional narrative that usually graces her music.

Diana Pastrana can be reached at d.pastranatorres@umiami.edu.

Sophomore Bruce Brown announced Thursday that he has declared for the 2018 NBA Draft, the University ...

Lots of Hurricanes notes on a Wednesday, with the second spring practice session set for Thursday mo ...

The battle for the University of Miami quarterback job began in earnest with the start of spring pra ...

A six-pack of UM notes from the first day of spring football on Tuesday: • UM’s first-team offensive ...

UM spring practice begins Tuesday with heavy focus on the quarterback, with N’Kosi Perry and Jarren ...

The Kislak Center opens, aims to advance new forms of scholarship and build bridges across the Unive ...

Novelist Jennine Capó Crucet’s Miami-spiced book talk spotlighted the One Book, One U initiative. ...

As part of the “It’s On Us” initiative, the former vice president urged the UM community to help com ...

Haitian-born Henri Ford’s incredible journey to the deanship of the Miller School of Medicine. ...

Keeping a 30-year tradition, graduate students organize a fun-filled Hurricane Challenge for youngst ...

The University of Miami men's tennis team will seek to continue its perfect record at home Frid ...

Amy Deem and the Hurricanes will travel to Los Angeles to compete at the Power 5 Trail Blazer Challe ...

The University of Miami baseball program will host its third annual 'Bark in the Park' gam ...

Miami sophomore guard declares for NBA Draft but will not hire agent. ...

In search of its fourth series win of the spring, the Miami Hurricanes host No. 24 Virginia from Mar ...